Super Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kpr

Bearcat
I am looking at getting a super redhawk for hunting deer.What caliber and barrell length would do the best job?I was thinking 44 mag 9 1/2 inch barrell.Was just kind of looking for other opinions.Thanks

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
THe Super Redhawk will be a fine platform for hunting. THe 44 mag will have the greatest availibility of ammo in most places, plus the bullet choices are varied. Another excellent choice.
However, you may find that the longer barrel, vs a 7-1/2" might be a bit harder to carry around the woods. Plus, the velocity gain of the 2 extra inches won't matter much on deer sized critters.
I have a Redhawk in 44 that is plenty for deer, while my Super Redhawk is in 480 Ruger, which will take anything in the country. Both are the 7-1/2" bbls.

Now, many folks enjoy the Single Actions for hunting as the double action design isn't usually used in hunting. A nice Super Blackhawk is also a fine hunting firearm, in 44 mag, and a bit handier to carry in the field.
Then if you wish, you can look at other calibers as well. A 45 Colt is quite the good hunting caliber, especially for the reloader.

wwb

Hunter
I agree with contender on the barrel length... the 9-1/2 inch barrel is a bit unwieldy, and the 7-1/2 inch balances nicely while providing enough mass to help tame the recoil.

However, you may find that the longer barrel, vs a 7-1/2" might be a bit harder to carry around the woods.

I guess that depends on whether the OP is thinking about "carrying that handgun" all around the woods or not. I tend to carry my deer guns to a stand and that's the end of that. From a stand, the barrel length isn't going to be an issue.

In my hands, I've always preferred the 9.5" SRH. Which is kind of odd since I don't normally like really long barreled handguns. Maybe the additional mass of the extended frame needs a longer barrel to balance it out? (Even more true if you mount a scope on the gun.) Whatever the reason, that's been my experience. I bought a 9.5" .44 Magnum back in the 90's and a close buddy bought the 7.5". His revolver has always felt useful and workmanlike in my hands but it has never felt as good as the longer barrel in mine. Every time I shoot his, I feel good about my choice. And I've noticed he has never really developed strong feelings about his revolver either. I would rate my 9.5" SRH as one of my ten best guns. I seriously doubt he would do the same.

From a shooting standpoint, more mass out front also makes the gun recoil less. I've got a Leupold 2x scope on mine and I could shoot that gun literally all day long. It's a very mild Magnum. It's the only .44 Magnum I own that I will shoot and shoot and shoot and then be surprised when I see all the ammo is gone! A heck of a lot of fun to shoot at water filled 2 liter soda bottles. Dead easy at 75-100 yards. A careful challenge at 150. Frustratingly difficult at 200.

I really need to get a 9.5" .480 SRH before they all disappear.

Gregg

guitarpicva

Bearcat
Many folks who use Redhawks in .44 and larger calibers will tell you that the Hogue Tamer grips make them a relative fluffy kittens-cat as to recoil. That's second-hand information, but from folks I trust.

You might be interested in a forum with a great group of people who hunt with handguns. http://www.handgunhunt.com TONS of real world hunting and shooting experience.

bowfishn

Bearcat
I am in agreement with tulsamal, as I have a 9.5" and find it no problem to hunt with. The extra 2" of barrel over the 7.5" is not an issue for me in a hunting situation. ( a lot of people carry around a rifle with a 22 to 24 inch barrel and seem to survive the ordeal ) Barrel length vs what you think is easy or hard to carry is a matter of preference.
I carry mine scoped in a bandolier holster across my chest it gives me hands free carry while tracking or walking to my stand, but still gives quick access for a shot. If you are planning on using it for hip or shoulder holster under the arm carry for other things besides hunting, the 7.5 or less I would find easier to carry.
I shoot 295 grain cast gc/hp at 1500+ fps they are quite accurate out to 200 yards from a rested position, out to 150 yard if sighted in for 100 they are fairly flat shooting. (if I wanted more penetration for heavier game I can reverse the HP and my mold will casts flat nose bullets)
I used to have a 454 SRH with the same barrel length it was capable of over 1800 fps with the same weight bullet, but when I bought my new SRH I went with the 44 mag as it will do all I want it to do.

Nowata

Single-Sixer
Before I bought my hunting handgun, I ask opinions, looked at different models, all that you are doing. (I have a Bisley Hunter in .44). GO SHOOT THEM!!! You may or may not like the grip of the SRH, RH, SBH, BH. The 5.5"barrel might seem too short, 9.5" too long...whatever, just beg, borrow several different models(or buy several!) and shoot them first, before you plunk down 6-900$. It may be that you end up with a S&W(GASP!!), but it is hard earned money, don't cough it up without REALLY checking them out.
If someone came to me asking if they could shoot my Bisley, to see if they liked it, I would be more than happy to oblidge. I'll bet a lot of proud Ruger owners feel the same.

Timber Wolf

Single-Sixer
guitarpicva said:
folks............will tell you that the Hogue Tamer grips make them a relative Fluffy Kittens-cat as to recoil. That's second-hand information, but from folks I trust.

I have the Houge Tamers on my 4" GP100 and really like them. Not that .357 is so bad, but I did not like the factory grips and decided to give something new a try. I am glad I did as I like the feel of the Tamers and they make even full snort .357 enjoyable to shoot.

I'm with tulsamal in wanting a 9.5" .480. I havn't even fired my 7.5" SRH .480 and still would like a 9.5"!