Super Blackhawk center pin migration

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JackOfTraDeZ

Bearcat
I have the short barrel super blackhawk, single action in 44 MAG. Problem is, the cylinder center pin keeps walking foreward, especially with heavy bullets, even mild loads. This otherwise awesome gun is essentially unuseable!

Anyone else have a problem like this? What can do about it myself (other than see a good smith).

Thanx much!

slowrider

Single-Sixer
Check out Base Mountain base pins. They fit a little snugger and they offer locking pins too. Someone else may come along and help you fix the problem and keep the Ruger pin..... a new latch spring maybe?

http://www.beltmountain.com/ruger.htm

airwin

Bearcat
JackOfTraDeZ has the right answer for this well known problem. The extra power base pin spring plus a Belt Mountain Base Pin is a very good upgrading to fix your problem.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=25466/Product/EXTRA_POWER_BASE_PIN_SPRING

flatgate

Hawkeye
Careful inspection of the latch components may reveal a lack of positive latch engagement. A few strokes with a round needle file may "do the trick". The other's posts about a stronger spring and/or a Belt Mountain pin are the ultimate solution, for sure.

JMHO,

flatgate

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I'm with Flatgate. I have replaced the rear sight on all my Rugers with one from Bowen, the base pins with same from Belt Mountain, and grips by Cary C...and they all seem to shoot better as well.

BackWoods Billy

Bearcat
Just go with the Belt Mountain lock pin and latch spring and be done with it. Just got a SBH Hunter and from the 1st shot it walked.Called Ruger and they said they would send me one and I told them to keep it.LOL. Just wanted to tell them again to work on there quality control.. :shock:

flatgate

Hawkeye
BackWoods Billy said:
Just go with the Base Mountain lock pin and latch spring and be done with it. Just got a SBH Hunter and from the 1st shot it walked.Called Ruger and they said they would send me one and I told them to keep it.LOL. Just wanted to tell them again to work on there quality control.. :shock:

BELT Mountain Kelye makes great base pins!

flatgate

JackOfTraDeZ

Bearcat
Thanx everyone for the tips and info - now I have something to work with!

I have 8 Ruger revolvers and 2 long guns - the best of the best, I am a total Ruger fan (now considering the SR556), but this one gun has not been so perfect so far.

Latest posts