sr9c carry condition..

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cubby

Single-Sixer
I just picked up a SR9c. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Monday hopefully! Anyway, I watched several of Hickok 45's videos on the gun. He stated that because of the very smooth trigger, he would carry it with the safety engaged?
I'll have a better feel for it when I get to the range...

Hrothgar

Bearcat
Cubby said:
I just picked up a SR9c. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Monday hopefully! Anyway, I watched several of Hickok 45's videos on the gun. He stated that because of the very smooth trigger, he would carry it with the safety engaged?

I bought one last weekend and put 50 rounds through it at a friend's farm this afternoon. First handgun I've ever owned. Gun operated flawlessly, can't say same for the operator :roll: I'm considering carrying with the safety on, personally.

norfolknova

Single-Sixer
Hrothgar said:
Cubby said:

I bought one last weekend and put 50 rounds through it at a friend's farm this afternoon. First handgun I've ever owned. Gun operated flawlessly, can't say same for the operator :roll: I'm considering carrying with the safety on, personally.

Just remember when you do practice with it to make sure you practice your draw taking the safety off. Just a freindly reminder

matt

Hrothgar

Bearcat
norfolknova said:
Just remember when you do practice with it to make sure you practice your draw taking the safety off. Just a freindly reminder

matt

Thanks, don't even have a holster yet, hope to get one this week.

ArmyDrQuinn

Bearcat
I carry my SR9c in a bianchi series 100 holster, locked, cocked and ready to rock with the safety ON. Doesn't take much to get used to taking it off when drawing the weapon, and, frankly, i feel better with it on. I also have a little one running around and practice drawing and switching the safety off (after the chamber's cleared) with the 10 rd mag in place (full). I practice trigger squeeze after doing this a while, i drop the mag, and re clear the chamber, then do trigger squeezes for a while, maintaining sight picture. At the range i go to, i can do these drills with live ammo and shoot and do pretty well at 25 yards (blank paper at 25 yards, cause this weapon, and it's purpose for me, i'll never shoot anything that small at that great a distance, so i accept my shortcomings in accuracy in the exchange for speed of firing first few rounds). Hope this helps. :)

Hrothgar

Bearcat
Yesterday I bought a Nate Squared Tactical original holster. I like it but I'm a rookie at this. It's very comfortable, wore it around the house with the empty SR9C in it most of the evening. It's a bit difficult to re-holster but if I pull it while carrying concealed I may not have to worry too much about how fast I get it back in the holster. May be a bit of a pain to practice the draw with, though.

cluznar

Bearcat
You must remember that you are not trying to outdraw an enemy... this is no longer the old west. Part of carrying is to know when and if you should draw your weapon. Therefore, the flipping of the manual safety down to shoot will not be a big deal.

Unless you draw on someone holding a gun on you or challenge him to a duel. In which case you should not even be carrying a gun. 8)

Volusianator

Bearcat
Being new into CC, I just can't wrap my head around carrying with the safety off. Maybe it's just from decades of my dad telling me, "don't take that safety off until you're ready to fire." Now I know if I'm drawing my weapon I'm ready to fire, but the words "don't take that safety off" lead me to believe it was in the on position to begin with. I guess over the years I may change my thought on this, but for me, it's one in the pipe and safety on.

As with anything, choice of cigars, Coke/Pepsi, Ford/Chevy, pork/beef...it's all personal preference and no matter what you choose, you're right. Well except on the Coke/Pepsi thing, Pepsi is terrible. :wink:

NixieTube

Blackhawk
I always have mine chamber loaded safety on but regardless of what you do, the key is to practice! Always, always practice the manual of arms. Even if it's a "house gun" that you keep in a drawer somewhere, practice with it at least once a week for at least 15 minutes to remind yourself and your "muscle memory" of where you normally set the controls. The SR series are very safe guns even loaded and chambered with the safety off but I prefer to keep mine with the safety on. Once you train yourself with that, you don't forget it, any more than you'll forget putting a little more snap in your motion when racking the slide.

I've done some fun drills with my gun. I've gone so far as to practice field stripping/reassembling in complete darkness, manually loading the magazine with gloves on in complete darkness, and manually chambering a round from a new magazine with only one hand, using the front sight against a hard surface to rack the slide. That and a little weekly familiarity with the pistol and I figure I understand it pretty well. :)

I do those things from time to time not to demonstrate my "SR9 prowess" to anyone, but because I bought the gun so that I could use it to protect myself, and it's conceivable where I live that I might have to do those things in the dark, in the cold, with gloves on, etc.

Always practice safely!

eveled

Hawkeye
Nobody worries about carrying a double action revolver without a safety. But everybody worrys about a striker fired auto wich is esentialy a double action. I think if it has a safety you should probably use it. Regardless if you use it or not if the pistol you carry has a safety you should drill that thumb flip firmly into your muscle memory.

labhound

Bearcat
My SR9 trigger pull is much easier than my S&W Model 64 revolver. I carry the SR9 with the safety ON.

Nikonographer

Bearcat
huntnfish08 said:
Chambered with safety on. Same motion as 1911 as stated. One of the reasons I chose this pistol. Keep the muscle memory the same.

Adam

+1

I started carrying the XDm 9 compact 3.8 and love it but the SR9c is more for me. When I brought the SR9c at the range, I had the safety on a few times which caused me time delays in racking and firing. I also noticed that I never put the safety on after shooting. Shifting systems can cause some problems (as stated) so if you're used to 1911 platform, this would be perfect for you. It is quite easy to get that muscle memory back so 2 range trips and it's all good for me.

haymaker

Single-Sixer
The trigger on my SR9c is scary light. Too light for carry. I would never carry it with the safety off. I wish Ruger would make a compact traditional DA/SA pistol.

exavid

Hunter
I carry my SR40c with the safety on with one in the chamber. When carrying my LC9 I don't use the safety. Mainly because the LC9 has a much longer and heavier trigger pull.

Latest posts