Appendix Carry

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fredo

Bearcat
I'm new to firearms. I'm getting a Ruger Security 9 and I'm thinking of concealed carry. I've taken the CCW course and planning to get more training. That being said, as newbie I'm a bit scared about an appendix carry la my fear unfounded?

epags

Single-Sixer
Finger off the trigger when drawing and when re-holstering....oh, and don't let your shirt or pants get between the firearm and the holdster when re-holstering...OUCH.

epags

Single-Sixer
Finger off the trigger when drawing and when re-holstering....oh, and don't let your shirt or pants get between the firearm and the holdster when re-holstering...OUCH.
@Fredo My instructor pointed out that you have all the time in the word when re-holstering so don't rush and pay attention as to how you are re-holstering.

Fredo

Bearcat
I don't know much about the best way to carry. I've watched a few YouTube videos where it was said that that's preferable but I know a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I don't know much about the best way to carry. I've watched a few YouTube videos where it was said that that's preferable but I know a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing
What's preferable is the carry method that works with you and that days wardrobe. For some that's appendix, for others it's cross draw, hip (iwb or owb) or shoulder holster, etc. . Each of these and other methods are heavily dependent on several other factors. A common change up in carry is switching from "city carry" where maximum concealment is desired (at the expense of slowing your draw time) to rural or woods carry, where concealment is not necessary or desired, and ease of draw is paramount, or purely competition.

Each such change normally requires a different holster/belt. Which is why many of us have a drawer full of holsters for different guns and different circumstances.

Bottom line is that you will likely have to experiment over time with different methods and different rigs/holsters. Basically you have a choice of Kydex or Leather - personal preference rules there. A sturdy belt is also necessary. Don't go cheap on it. Some of us have custom holsters made specifically for the gun it's intended for, and how/where we will carry it.

Just because John Wick carried 15lbs of guns and ammo on a 1" dress belt doesn't mean that's what everyone should do. ;)

You're about to find out that carrying a gun can be complicated and expensive. And the ultimate decision is up to you. :)

Fredo

Bearcat
I really appreciate your taking the time to give me your thoughts. Sounds like really sound advice. Thanks

When I first started to experiment with concealed carry, it seemed that by far most people carried inside the waistband (IWB). Being a bit thicker around the midsection that I ideally should be, I found this very uncomfortable, but spent a fair amount of dollars trying different IWB holsters before accepting that this method did not work for me. Personally I prefer outside the waistband (OWB) with leather, not Kydex holsters. I have several of these and generally wear the holster in the 2 or 3 o'clock position (where straight ahead of your naval is 12 o'clock, 6 0'clock is at your butt, 3 o'clock on the far right side, etc.). But OWB only works, while keeping it concealed, if I am wearing a jacket (and keep it on all of the time) or wear an untucked shirt which fully covers the holstered gun. Much of the time I "pocket carry" in the right front pocket of my jeans (which I wear about 90% of the year) in a Desantis pocket holster.

I find pocket carry very easy and convenient. I can put the holstered gun into my pocket just before leaving my home without any fuss or fiddling with a belt. Drawing a pocket holstered gun is easy and smooth to do. And if need be, I can have my hand on the gun, in my pocket and if there is no time to draw, could fire in the general direction from inside the pocket.

All of the above applies regardless of which handgun I am carrying. Most of the time I carry a compact semi auto in 9mm, striker fired. Either my Ruger LC9s, or if OWB rather than pocket, my Glock 26 for greater capacity. Sometimes I pocket carry my S&W 642, a 5 round lightweight revolver chambered in 38 Special. When carrying a semi auto, I always have a round chambered and as long as I keep my finger off the trigger have no excessive concern about an accidental discharge into the family jewels or anywhere else for that matter.

I suggest you try out several alternatives at home. Stand up, sit down, walk around. Practice drawing an unloaded gun. Look at yourself in a full length mirror to see if you achieve the level of concealment that you find acceptable (although you need to understand that people around you are generally totally non-observant and what you might think is a dead giveaway printing is totally unseen by others). I suggest doing all of this before spending a fortune on holsters as you see the best solution for yourself. I myself have a large plastic bin full of holsters that I hesitate to figure out how much I spent on this collection of leather and Kydex that I mostly never use.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
When I first started to experiment with concealed carry, it seemed that by far most people carried inside the waistband (IWB). Being a bit thicker around the midsection that I ideally should be, I found this very uncomfortable, but spent a fair amount of dollars trying different IWB holsters before accepting that this method did not work for me. Personally I prefer outside the waistband (OWB) with leather, not Kydex holsters. I have several of these and generally wear the holster in the 2 or 3 o'clock position (where straight ahead of your naval is 12 o'clock, 6 0'clock is at your butt, 3 o'clock on the far right side, etc.). But OWB only works, while keeping it concealed, if I am wearing a jacket (and keep it on all of the time) or wear an untucked shirt which fully covers the holstered gun. Much of the time I "pocket carry" in the right front pocket of my jeans (which I wear about 90% of the year) in a Desantis pocket holster.

I find pocket carry very easy and convenient. I can put the holstered gun into my pocket just before leaving my home without any fuss or fiddling with a belt. Drawing a pocket holstered gun is easy and smooth to do. And if need be, I can have my hand on the gun, in my pocket and if there is no time to draw, could fire in the general direction from inside the pocket.

All of the above applies regardless of which handgun I am carrying. Most of the time I carry a compact semi auto in 9mm, striker fired. Either my Ruger LC9s, or if OWB rather than pocket, my Glock 26 for greater capacity. Sometimes I pocket carry my S&W 642, a 5 round lightweight revolver chambered in 38 Special. When carrying a semi auto, I always have a round chambered and as long as I keep my finger off the trigger have no excessive concern about an accidental discharge into the family jewels or anywhere else for that matter.

I suggest you try out several alternatives at home. Stand up, sit down, walk around. Practice drawing an unloaded gun. Look at yourself in a full length mirror to see if you achieve the level of concealment that you find acceptable (although you need to understand that people around you are generally totally non-observant and what you might think is a dead giveaway printing is totally unseen by others). I suggest doing all of this before spending a fortune on holsters as you see the best solution for yourself. I myself have a large plastic bin full of holsters that I hesitate to figure out how much I spent on this collection of leather and Kydex that I mostly never use.

My local Mom & Pop gun shop has a rather large bin of used and/or unwanted holsters that folks have donated to for quite a few years. Good place to try on different ones.

Re: your mention of OWB. Different States have varying laws regarding this, especially as concerns unintentional and/or non-threatening exposure. In MS for example, taking a jacket off and therefore exposing your sidearm, in a sit down restaurant would not constitute a chargeable offense, and usually not even an objection from other patrons or the restaurant management; while in other States you might get a quick visit from the local gendarmes before your meal is delivered. :)

Just for the OP's info, there's also the other commonly discussed issues about retention v. non retention holsters, and carrying with a round chambered, safety off, or not.

Personally, my edc (P365) is chambered, cocked, no manual safety, and owb non-retention leather. If I have to present it, I don't want to have to think about anything except the front sight. :)

Last edited:

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
I'm new to firearms. I'm getting a Ruger Security 9 and I'm thinking of concealed carry. I've taken the CCW course and planning to get more training. That being said, as newbie I'm a bit scared about an appendix carry la my fear unfounded?
I carry my revolvers appendix but will not carry a semi auto that way. I am a pretty fit guy and find it comfortable. If a fella has a big belly it may not be very comfortable

s4s4u

Hunter
I often carry my LCRx appendix, but Mexican. No holster. There is a recessed area between the cylinder and grip that my belt rides in and is secure. The lack of a holster makes it actually comfortable. The heavy trigger gives me peace of mind. And it is completely unnoticeable, especially with a black shirt.

And then there's the climate to consider. Here I mostly carry OWB cross draw, covered by a Hawaiian shirt. No one looks twice at an old, slightly enlarged, white guy in a Hawaiian shirt.

But that won't work in the Upper Peninsula in winter. If you live in areas with actual seasons you'll need multiple carry methods just because of the weather.

Toss in that our daily lives vary in what we do or where we go and you'll need many different means of a firearm

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I often carry my LCRx appendix, but Mexican. No holster. There is a recessed area between the cylinder and grip that my belt rides in and is secure. The lack of a holster makes it actually comfortable. The heavy trigger gives me peace of mind. And it is completely unnoticeable, especially with a black shirt.
Mexican is a low level misdemeanor in MS. Gotta have a holster or purse/pouch/paper bag or something similar. Laws and regulations often don't make any sense no matter where you live.:rolleyes:

KurtC

Single-Sixer
You want the muzzle pointed alongside your body, not at it. No proper defensive training course of fire will even let you on the range with the muzzle pointed at your femoral artery or crotch.

Latest posts