Appendix Carry

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'm new to firearms. I'm getting a Ruger Security 9 and I'm thinking of concealed carry. I've taken the CCW course and planning to get more training. That being said, as newbie I'm a bit scared about an appendix carry la my fear unfounded?
You'll shoot your junk off. Not to mention that if you have any baggage it doesn't work either.

Personally, I'd never carry a striker-fired gun appendixially (I think I just invented a new word). ...

FWIW, the OP mentioned that they're getting a Security-9, which is hammer fired and (for most models at least) also has a manual safety. But I love that new word - and the thought of carrying a handgun appendixially makes me more than a little nervous!

As always FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc.
:)

paljoee

Bearcat
I'm new to firearms. I'm getting a Ruger Security 9 and I'm thinking of concealed carry. I've taken the CCW course and planning to get more training. That being said, as newbie I'm a bit scared about an appendix carry la my fear unfounded?
I carry a Ruger Security 380 and I carry it in a cross draw position. I'm right handed and carry it on the left side apendix OWB. It seems to be slightly quicker to reach for my weapon. Loose clothing with your shirt not tucked in I'm able to hide your weapon without printing. Thank God I haven't had to use it and pray I never have to.

Bubbas358

Bearcat
@Fredo My instructor pointed out that you have all the time in the word when re-holstering so don't rush and pay attention as to how you are re-holstering.
THIS. Period. No other things is needed. You have all the time in the world to get your hammerpiston back in your holster after needing it.....take that time to make things correct so you don't decock yourself. Or de-artery yourself.

Last edited:
You have 2 choices, you either dress to the way you carry, or carry to the way you dress. Most people aren't going to go out and buy different clothes, so take that into consideration.
As mentioned, body build is a big issue. If you decide to carry (for example) appendix and it turns out to be uncomfortable, concealment is a non starter. You will constantly adjusting, and even if it's not uncomfortable, just being new at carrying people tend to constantly be adjusting, making sure it's still there, readjusting upon getting out of your vehicle is a new adjustment, and making sure your piece is still concealed.

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
No "junk carry" for me. Gotta guard them nuggets!

65hoosier

Bearcat
My local Mom & Pop gun shop has a rather large bin of used and/or unwanted holsters that folks have donated to for quite a few years. Good place to try on different ones.

Re: your mention of OWB. Different States have varying laws regarding this, especially as concerns unintentional and/or non-threatening exposure. In MS for example, taking a jacket off and therefore exposing your sidearm, in a sit down restaurant would not constitute a chargeable offense, and usually not even an objection from other patrons or the restaurant management; while in other States you might get a quick visit from the local gendarmes before your meal is delivered. :)

Just for the OP's info, there's also the other commonly discussed issues about retention v. non retention holsters, and carrying with a round chambered, safety off, or not.

Personally, my edc (P365) is chambered, cocked, no manual safety, and owb non-retention leather. If I have to present it, I don't want to have to think about anything except the front sight. :)
cocked?

Many IWB holsters are versatile and adjustable. Start with one of those. Mine is a Klinger but there are plenty of options. You can adjust the angle etc and it has a comfort pad. My question about appendix carry is taking a wizz. Will it dump the gun if you undo your pants for clearance? What about taking a crap. Life happens when you carry.

Many IWB holsters are versatile and adjustable. Start with one of those. Mine is a Klinger but there are plenty of options. You can adjust the angle etc and it has a comfort pad. My question about appendix carry is taking a wizz. Will it dump the gun if you undo your pants for clearance? What about taking a crap. Life happens when you carry.

Taking a whiz or a dump is another reason to consider pocket carry. No worry about the gun falling to the floor or even resting on the floor while your pants are down around your ankles.

The only rule I would add if you decide to try pocket carry is that only the holstered gun should be in the pocket, absolutely nothing else. Then there is no reason to be reaching into that pocket except to put your hand on the gun and draw if needed. Some feel that a disadvantage of pocket carry is that drawing when seated is hard or impossible, but for many folks the same is true for IWB when seated. Another disadvantage, which hardly ever applies for me, is that wearing dress pants of lighter material can make pocket carry less than ideal as the weight of even a light gun will pull the pocket down. But in jeans or heavy cotton pants or shorts, pocket carry works just fine. And pocket holsters are easy to use and inexpensive.

settup6

Bearcat
Appendix carry does have risks, when you sit your weapon can be pushed up and out and it's a good idea to use a stall when just peeing so you can make sure you have control and don't drop. Otherwise it's comfortable for small profile concealed carry guns and keeps your mind on your weapon, which is a good thing when carrying.

KurtC

Single-Sixer
@Fredo My instructor pointed out that you have all the time in the word when re-holstering so don't rush and pay attention as to how you are re-holstering.
Nonsense. The situation is not over just because you drew your sidearm. Even if you actually had to fire the weapon, you may still have open car doors, control children, etc. in order to get to safety. One should be able to safely reholster their sidearm using one hand, without looking.

epags

Single-Sixer
Nonsense. The situation is not over just because you drew your sidearm. Even if you actually had to fire the weapon, you may still have open car doors, control children, etc. in order to get to safety. One should be able to safely reholster their sidearm using one hand, without looking.
I guess we are not communicating or I do not understand the scenario you mention. If after firing the weapon and I am in a situation that requires me "to get to safety" my firearm will not be holstered.

'All the time in the world' is just an expression to reinforce that an individual be fully aware of his/her re-holstering process.

In my case, I carry IWB 4o'clock with a T-shirt or a buttoned shirt that covers (hangs over) the IWB holster which must be cleared before-reholstering and to try to re-holster without glancing down to see the shirt is cleared of the holster (in my opinion) is unsafe.

I'm not anywhere near being an experienced combat handgun user. Only done it once. But after things quieted down, I calmly reloaded, all eight rounds, and re-holstered my condition one 1911A1. A few minutes later when the adrenaline shakes started I probably didn't have the motor control to drop that gun into an ocean. But that's just me. I'm sure everyone else here will be cool as a cucumber after someone tries to kill them.

magnum0710

Bearcat
Appendix carry is the only way I can fully conceal and not print aside from pocket carry. I can do strong side if I'm wearing a flannel or some type of button up but that doesn't work all year.
Appendix carry is safe if done right, a good holster is key. Unless I'm practicing my draw, when I take it off for the night I take my gun out still in the holster, I put it back on the same way.
I find appendix carry to be the most comfortable too, it just works with my body type I guess. You might find it doesn't work for you at all. You'll have to experiment and see what works.

magnum0710

Bearcat
Just being comfortable does not make an activity safe.
I don't feel that there's anything unsafe about appendix carry if it's done right. It's like anything else involving guns, keep your finger off the trigger and pay attention. I've been carrying appendix for years now and have never had an issue.
Comfort was the last thing I mentioned, in any case you should know as well as I do that if you're not comfortable you're more likely to leave your gun at home, ie: the 22 or 380 in your pocket is better than the 45 you left in your safe right?
Ayoob even has a video on Appendix Carry stressing safe technique, if one is safe about it then it's no more unsafe than carrying at 4 o'clock. If appendix carry is the difference between no one seeing my pistol or carrying at 4 o'clock and having a very obvious bulge then yes I'm going to carry appendix and I would stress that anyone else in that situation do the same. I've tried different clothes, holsters, belts etc and 4 o'clock always has an obvious print for me unless I'm wearing a coat or some kind of loose button up worn unbuttoned which isn't always feasible.
Which ever position works for the OP is going to be what's best for them, but there's no reason to say it's unsafe without having all the facts. Me and my junk are like this 🤞and if I thought for one second there was a chance I could shoot myself there I wouldn't carry appendix. The main thing is taking the holster off body then reholstering then putting the entire rig back on. If you do that and are using a good kydex holster that covers the trigger then there is nothing unsafe about it. A DAO revolver would be even safer.

Latest posts