SR9c and 17 round mag problems

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GKC

Blackhawk
Is anyone experiencing issues with the 17 round magazines in their SR9c? I have been reading a number of reports on the internet about people having failures with the 17 round mags, but no failures with the 10 round mags...which would seem to eliminate the pistol or the shooter as the problem, and point at the 17 round mags. The reports I have read have been from a year or so old, up to recent.

mn_doggie

Bearcat
I have two 17 round mags and have never had a problem.
Been watching a few forums and never heard of a 17 round SR9c problem. Are there threads here about that?

wrangler

Bearcat
I sent mine back for trigger reset problem that, for some reason I can't figure out, was worse with the 17 round mag.

Sucks because I shoot the gun a lot better with the 17 rounder.

Hope it is fixed when I get it back.

GKC

Blackhawk
mn_doggie said:
I have two 17 round mags and have never had a problem.
Been watching a few forums and never heard of a 17 round SR9c problem. Are there threads here about that?

I found a number of comments on other sites, and reviews in general, as well as here. Of course, when you count the number of SR9c pistols sold, the number of posts I've seen with problems are statistically very small...but it's beginning to make me wonder if the 17 round magazine either has an issue, or doesn't lock in well, etc.

I still haven't shot my new SR9c yet, so I can't say...but I ordered another 17 round mag and adapter for it, so I'd have two. Now, I'm wondering if I should have gone with the 10 round mags. After all, if 10 isn't enough, then I am in more trouble than I can handle! The 17 rounders are mainly for convenience at the range...so I'll get another 10 round mag for back up carry.

Verndog

Blackhawk
I have 2 17's and 2 10's and no problems with any. I haven't seen any real evidence of a problem with the 17 round mags watching most SR9 related threads here over the last year either. If fact most people think the Ruger mags are very good quality.

GKC

Blackhawk
Verndog said:
I have 2 17's and 2 10's and no problems with any. I haven't seen any real evidence of a problem with the 17 round mags watching most SR9 related threads here over the last year either. If fact most people think the Ruger mags are very good quality.

That's good to know...as I said, when you consider the number of Rugers sold, versus the number with issues, it is statistically very small. It was making me wonder when I saw more than one person, on more than one site, saying they had no problem with the 10s but experienced problems with the 17s.

A

Anonymous

I have had an occasional problem when I get to 16 or 17 rounds..neglected to mention that. I have trouble inserting the mag all the way with 17- again, sometimes- but that doesn't bother me enough to make me DO anything about it.

GKC

Blackhawk
jeffadaklin said:
I have had an occasional problem when I get to 16 or 17 rounds..neglected to mention that. I have trouble inserting the mag all the way with 17- again, sometimes- but that doesn't bother me enough to make me DO anything about it.

It seems that all high capacity mags have problems loading out to full capacity. I guess because the spring has to be strong enough to function at the longer length, and so it resists compressing to the extent necessary to load the full capacity. I guess there is a "sweet spot" at which the mag becomes broken in enough to load fully and function, before it becomes too worn to function reliably.

My usual practice, especially on higher capacity mags, is to load them down one or two...on these 17 round mags, for example, I will probably load 15 in them. It does make it easier to load them, and to insert them in the pistol, and I don't worry too much about spring compression that way as well. Besides, if I have 11 rounds in the pistol initially (10 + 1) plus two 15 round mags as back up, I think I am covered...if 41 rounds won't take care of the trouble I am in, I doubt that 4 more rounds would make all that much difference (if I had loaded them both to 17 rounds, that is) !!!! :shock: :lol:

Big Stu

Single-Sixer
My ten and seventeen round magazines have functioned flawlessly from day one. No problems at all. It is a little difficult to get all the ammo into the 17 round mag when doing it by hand but that is to be expected.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
4 x 17 rd and 1 x 10 rd mags here. 5000+ rds through my SR9c, purchased Apr 2010. Only mods was to remove the mag disconnect.

No problems of any kind with any magazine

Simms65

Bearcat
Two ten round mags and eight seventeen round mags here. Not a single mag related failure with any the entire time I've had both my SR9 and SR9c.

ShannonNVA

Bearcat
Two ten's and two 17's. No problems, but I rarely fill to capacity when shooting. I usually only load 5 or 6 rounds per magazine and do a lot of practice changing magazines when live firing. Maybe I should run full mags to make sure my mags are good to go.

A

Anonymous

GKC- 'It seems that all high capacity mags have problems loading out to full capacity..' I have a KelTec and a S&W, both of em have the same problem. But they are both pretty new, so after some break in..who knows.

GKC

Blackhawk
The only magazines that I've never seemed to have a problem loading are the S&W M&P 45 compact 8 round magazines....of course, that isn't really a "high capacity" magazine. I use an Uplula mag loader which makes loading any magazine easier, but even so, on most I have to really crank down on it to get the last round in.

I guess they all just need some break in....I've read from a number of people that the best thing to do is load them up and leave them sit for a couple of weeks before you try to use them.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
wrangler said:
I sent mine back for trigger reset problem that, for some reason I can't figure out, was worse with the 17 round mag.

Sucks because I shoot the gun a lot better with the 17 rounder.

Hope it is fixed when I get it back.

Heard that before more than a couple times. Seems for those that have trigger reset problems, the problem is more severe with the 17 rounders.
Experienced the same thing myself when I was experimenting with lighter striker springs that induced reset issues, and I'll be danged if I could figure out how the magazine was having an effect?
Sure your gun will be fine with both mags when you get it back from Ruger.
Sal

wingman

Single-Sixer
I use an UpLULA to load all my mags or I wouldn't be able to load them... weak fingers or just bad technique I guess. I load them to capacity without a problem. Well I can load my LCP mags by hand, only 6 round capacity though.