Stuck live round

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fredo

Bearcat
I've seen suggestions on tapping out a stuck live round with a dowel. Is it dangerous to tap the round from the breach side

9x19

Hunter
I'm confused, it got stuck going from the breech towards the muzzle, why would you want to tap it in the same direction?

A stuck LIVE ROUND will go nowhere tapping it from the breach end AND where are you going to tap on it - there's a primer there you have to worry about. A stuck projectile (bullet) could be tapped from the breach or muzzle end.

Since you posted in the Semi-Auto Pistol section I am assuming that it is a semi-auto pistol.

If it is a LIVE ROUND:
Remove the barrel (if possible) and chuck it in a vise (pad the vise jaws as to not mark up the barrel), muzzle up, and use a dowel rod that is just smaller than the diameter of the barrel and CAREFULLY tap it downward. Stand away from the barrel as much as possible and be careful.

If it is a stuck projectile:
Remove the barrel (if possible) and chuck it in a vise, muzzle up, and use a dowel rod that is just smaller than the diameter of the barrel and CAREFULLY tap it downward and out of the barrel..

Rum River

Bearcat
In the early 80's I was in gunsmithing school. A fellow student was working with a customer who brought in a Mini-14 barrel only with "a stuck case". An aluminum cleaning rod was sticking out of the muzzle. The case head was marred and completely unreadable from the fool owner hacking at it with various tools. Somewhere in the process the owner shared the info that it was a live round. He had tried to knock it out with the cleaning rod but he used the open threaded end and had jammed it between the bullet ogive and the barrel wall. The case head was so hacked you couldn't tell the primer was live.

The barrel was put in a coffee can of WD-40 for a couple days, after which the student was able to get the cleaning rod out so a brass-tipped rod could be used to knock the cartridge out of the chamber.

I was glad I was just a spectator.

Although I wasn't nor did I claim t be a 'gunsmith', I was well known as a 'gun guy' in the community. Several guns in various conditions of 'stuck' came to me for resolution. One of the most concering was a lever action that had a live round jammed tightly and the extractor tightly holding the bolt face to the case head.(almost but not quite locked). The owner had tried to finish closing the lever by use of a rubber mallet. o_O
After dis-assembling as much as possible, I used some 3/8" steel plate to deflect any parts that might exit in case the round did fire and aimed the barrel in a safe direction. Using an 'expendable' cleaning rod I beat the stuck cartridge loose w/o any damage to the rifle. What I found was a 32 Win cartridge instead of a 30-30. The owner said he was loading his rifle in the dark and didn't notice the difference. :unsure:
Here's a :rolleyes:post from Ruger Forums 2014:
#1 · Apr 25, 2014
I have had a Model 94 carbine in 32 special since I was 10 years old (way more than 50 years now), and remember having been told way back then that one could safely fire 30-30 ammo in a 32 special rifle, but not vice-versa. I recently got several boxes of 30-30 from an estate. Anybody know if this is safe to shoot in my 32 special? What about accuracy?

Fredo

Bearcat
In the early 80's I was in gunsmithing school. A fellow student was working with a customer who brought in a Mini-14 barrel only with "a stuck case". An aluminum cleaning rod was sticking out of the muzzle. The case head was marred and completely unreadable from the fool owner hacking at it with various tools. Somewhere in the process the owner shared the info that it was a live round.
Thanks for your reply

Fredo

Bearcat
Although I wasn't nor did I claim t be a 'gunsmith', I was well known as a 'gun guy' in the community. Several guns in various conditions of 'stuck' came to me for resolution. One of the most concering was a lever action that had a live round jammed tightly and the extractor tightly holding the bolt face to the case head.(almost but not quite locked). The owner had tried to finish closing the lever by use of a rubber mallet. o_O
After dis-assembling as much as possible, I used some 3/8" steel plate to deflect any parts that might exit in case the round did fire and aimed the barrel in a safe direction.
Thank you

Fredo

Bearcat
Although I wasn't nor did I claim t be a 'gunsmith', I was well known as a 'gun guy' in the community. Several guns in various conditions of 'stuck' came to me for resolution. One of the most concering was a lever action that had a live round jammed tightly and the extractor tightly holding the bolt face to the case head.(almost but not quite locked). The owner had tried to finish closing the lever by use of a rubber mallet.
Thanks

Fredo

Bearcat
After dis-assembling as much as possible, I used some 3/8" steel plate to deflect any parts that might exit in case the round did fire and aimed the barrel in a safe direction. Using an 'expendable' cleaning rod I beat the stuck cartridge loose w/o any damage to the rifle. What I found was a 32 Win cartridge instead of a 30-30. The owner said he was loading his rifle in the dark and didn't notice the difference. :unsure:
Here's a :rolleyes:post from Ruger Forums 2014:
#1 · Apr 25, 2014
I have had a Model 94 carbine in 32 special since I was 10 years old (way more than 50 years now), and remember having been told way back then that one could safely fire 30-30 ammo in a 32 special rifle, but not vice-versa. I recently got several boxes of 30-30 from an estate. Anybody know if this is safe to shoot in my 32 special? What about accuracy?
Thanks

harley08

Blackhawk
I tried firing a heavy 158gr. 9mm round in my UZI with the suppressor on. It fired and it got stuck in the barrel.
(Not enough powder). I took the suppressor off and I took the barrel off of the gun and used a brass rod
to tap the round out from the breech side.
It worked perfect, did not hurt any land or grooves in the barrel.
Rocko Rizzo

epags

Single-Sixer
I've seen suggestions on tapping out a stuck live round with a dowel. Is it dangerous to tap the round from the breach side
Having read (I think) your question and the comments.......you cannot tap out a round from the breach end since the brass casing is larger than the bore. You can tap out a stuck bullet (case has been ejected) from the breach, however depending how far the bullet is up the barrel, you might want to tap it out from the muzzle end. I have seen a number of bullets stuck in a barrel due to only a primer (no powder) on pistols. The normal procedure is to use either a brass or wood dowel from the muzzle end and lightly tap until the bullet drops out......no need to disassemble the pistol. On a revolver, the muzzle to breach is the only option due to the geometry of the firearm......excluding maybe a Webley design. 🤔

Thanks . I was concerned that that tapping it from the breech might cause a misfire
Two types of "stuck" rounds. One bullet stuck in the barrel. (Hammering it from either end will work, choose the shortest path of bullet passage.) Two, round stuck in the chamber. (Hammering it from the breach end dangerous and should NOT be done, from the muzzle end is the only way.) I bought 3/16" brass rods from Amazon, drop one or two into the barrel and give them a few taps. Cleaning rods are not the best method due to their fragile ends.