SR9/SR9c/SR40 Modifications and Accessories

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

Never mind- just looked on another post:
"Here's an Insight XML that I just threw on my SR9c for a cell phone pic for you to see. It fits fine, takes about 2 seconds to put on or take off."
Tried to copy the pic, but look at the post on 'light for SR9c' if you're interested.

rugerdaddy

Bearcat
For those of you who might be interested in the Ghost trigger connector for the Ruger SR9 and SR9C I offer the following that I originally posted on another site today.

OK, I haven't modified the slide release, yet, but I removed the magazine disconnect (VERY easy) and I installed the Ghost Rocket trigger connector. The Rocket was not really difficult, but one shouldn't do it if they're not experienced with tools, and feel comfortable opening up and disassembling their gun. There are instructions on the Ghost site, and a couple videos to guide you.

You have to adjust the Rocket to fit by grinding/filing one tab to JUST the right size for your gun (SR9, SR9C, or Glock). It requires repeatedly filing a fraction off, reassembling the frame and firing parts, then dry-firing to check the trigger. If it won't fire, you repeat the process. I had to do it only three times until I got the trigger right.

Now the pull length and release is only about 1/4 of an inch (my unmeasured estimate.) That feels great when shooting because you don't really have to focus too much on your trigger control, i.e., there is very little movement, so you don't get gun movement related to your trigger finger moving back a distance to the fire stage, then moving back in release just the right distance to pull again for the next shot. I had fun firing it today on the range, and was able to focus more on other shooting factors than trigger control.

The pull is supposed to be 3.5 lbs. with the Rocket. I have no way of measuring, but it feels only a little lighter than before installation, though I admit I don't know the original pull weight of the SR9C. I did read a review that said it was 5.2 lbs, which would match my feel of a little lighter pull with the Rocket.

Overall, quite good, and I am really thinking the SR9C is the best handgun I've owned. Now, I just have to fix that slide release!

mikeruth

Bearcat
Here is an e-mail that I sent to XS.

I want a set of your sights for my SR9c (Part Number: RP-0007S-5) but I do not like the big dot. Will you have the small dot option any time soon?

Here is the reply.

We have them on the production list but I expect it will be late next month or early Jan before they are available.

Bo Wallace

jadek44

Single-Sixer
jhearne said:
That one should fit the SR9c if. Many use the Hogue Handall and Handall Jr. for their SR9/c.

Josh
I bought the Hogue Handall. Way too long. Sticks below the grip. Any one that ACTUALLY used the Jr. or the Pachy one???????????

Jon9

Bearcat
jadek44 said:
jhearne said:
That one should fit the SR9c if. Many use the Hogue Handall and Handall Jr. for their SR9/c.

Josh
I bought the Hogue Handall. Way too long. Sticks below the grip. Any one that ACTUALLY used the Jr. or the Pachy one???????????

I ended up buying the Pachmayer one I asked about. It's a good fit and I like it a lot.

sr9c.jpg

GeorgeP

Single-Sixer
I don't know if this belongs here or not, I'll let the moderator make that decision. It's no secret that I've never liked the Ruger design on the SR9c to limit the slide lock to just that, a stop/lock, and not a release. It's other wise a perfect gun, hammer or not. Sooo..... as Slingshot said, I started "hacking the gun to death"...I'm not a gunsmith by any stretch of the imagination.

To make the slide lock a release also, like all my other semi-autos, I filed, carefully, the opposing angles of the slide notch and latch until they were square with each other...not enterlocking. The notch on the slide was angled slightly forward and to the inside. A compound angle of some sort. The angle of the latch face was angled slight backward and to the outside, the opposite compound angle. When I finished I had them as nearly zero square to each other as I could eyeball them. I found that I had to change the slight forward angle on the notch to slight backward for better, smoother release. The angles were still trying to enterlock a little. Now the latch is both a stop, which wasn't effected at all, and a functional release. I left it a little stiff to see if it would "break in" a little. One oberservation is that the metal of the slide is SO hard that I don't think wear will ever be an issue.

I'm not recommending this modification, only sharing my experience. I'm much more pleased with my SR9c now.

jhearne

Buckeye
GeorgeP said:
I don't know if this belongs here or not, I'll let the moderator make that decision. It's no secret that I've never liked the Ruger design on the SR9c to limit the slide lock to just that, a stop/lock, and not a release. It's other wise a perfect gun, hammer or not. Sooo..... as Slingshot said, I started "hacking the gun to death"...I'm not a gunsmith by any stretch of the imagination.

To make the slide lock a release also, like all my other semi-autos, I filed, carefully, the opposing angles of the slide notch and latch until they were square with each other...not enterlocking. The notch on the slide was angled slightly forward and to the inside. A compound angle of some sort. The angle of the latch face was angled slight backward and to the outside, the opposite compound angle. When I finished I had them as nearly zero square to each other as I could eyeball them. I found that I had to change the slight forward angle on the notch to slight backward for better, smoother release. The angles were still trying to enterlock a little. Now the latch is both a stop, which wasn't effected at all, and a functional release. I left it a little stiff to see if it would "break in" a little. One oberservation is that the metal of the slide is SO hard that I don't think wear will ever be an issue.

I'm not recommending this modification, only sharing my experience. I'm much more pleased with my SR9c now.

It's not a bad place for it, it just might not get any solid attention on the 5th page as a post. Might be good to do a small write up on it and make your own thread for it. The Slide Stop not being an official "Release" has been a nagging point from many 9c owners. It's been a topic a handful of times and getting your hands dirty is about the only way to make it function as you want. Good work, hope you enjoy the SR9c!

Josh

GeorgeP

Single-Sixer
Thanks Josh. Now that I'm pretty happy with my SR9c and just waiting for good weather to go shoot, I can devote a little time to my new, bought today, P95. So far I think it's great!

jhearne

Buckeye
GeorgeP said:
Thanks Josh. Now that I'm pretty happy with my SR9c and just waiting for good weather to go shoot, I can devote a little time to my new, bought today, P95. So far I think it's great!

Another solid gun, my father enjoys his. Reliable and overbuilt, a bit clunky feeling in my hands, but that's just me.

Seems you've got the Ruger bug, only cure is more Rugers :)

Josh

agentadam

Single-Sixer
The night sights are labeled Trijicon and the Combat have slants like target sights. They might give you a longer sight radius also. I likey.

Yawn

Blackhawk
the 17 round mags are the same for the SR9c and the SR9, to my understanding.

A

Anonymous

Yep, SR9 17-rd mags at Buds Gun Shop- $25- fir the 9c, I have two. They are Mecgar, just like the ones that come with the pistol.

speedpower

Bearcat
jeffadaklin said:
Yep, SR9 17-rd mags at Buds Gun Shop- $25- fir the 9c, I have two. They are Mecgar, just like the ones that come with the pistol.

Can you post a link to where I can find the 17 round magazine, I couldn't find it at Bud's, Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Just went to get the address for you and they're gone. I swear they had them, I went and shot my new two new ones today. All I see is the 10-rd now, and it's more than I paid for the 17 rd. Sorry partner, I guess they're out- but here's the link to their 'Contact us' page, guess you could email them and ask.

Latest posts