SR9/SR9c/SR40 Modifications and Accessories

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mdcarsey

Bearcat
Some idiot in the assembly is always trying to get that through but it gets shot down. The NRA works hard here keeping these things from going through and getting other bill repealed or overturned. Like having to buy your ammo in person and provide a thumbprint. That was overturned by the courts.

Coreyq65

Bearcat
Just ordered my smooth it trigger kit from Galloway precision with the rocket trigger bar can't wait to try it out. Also polished my barrel out to full chrome looks like a mirror now. Will post pics when I figure out how to lol

jhearne

Buckeye
Cool, you'll like it. As for the pictures, you can go here for the Photobucket tutorial.

Basically, you'll end up with text in your post that looks like this before you post it. Instead of my url to one of my photos, it'll be to one of your own from whatever site you use to host them.

Code:
[img]http://joshhearne.com/rugeraid/image/108-_dah9782.jpg[/img]

That code makes this happen when it's posted.
108-_dah9782.jpg

Josh

Coreyq65

Bearcat
Ok I got my kit from Eric at Galloway and love it. Went with the rocket trigger bar, springs and polished plunger took me about an hour due to losing the small spring and plunger under the safety bar twice ( it likes to fly out) but overall very pleased and Eric was super helpful when I had a question. With the super info I found here I Didn't have to take it to the gunshop. All I used was a hand file, punch and elbow grease and I was done. Thanks to everyone for the help.

jhearne

Buckeye
No problem, hope you enjoy it! I forgot to mention, when putting in photos, hit your "enter" key between the photo's IMG tags. That'll put them in line vertically, rather one long row. Keeps us from having to side scroll.

Josh

rodfarva

Single-Sixer
I've installed parts from Galloway Precision on all of my SR series guns and the triggers are vastly improved. I've found Eric to be extremely friendly and helpful.

Coreyq65

Bearcat
ok so i tried my trigger out this weekend put about 500 rounds through it and the trigger is shorter but not a tremendous amount of difference in trigger pull poundage wise. the trigger almost has a stopping point right before it goes bang but im very pleased over-all maybe with a few hundred more rounds it will smooth out even more. he was out of the polished striker indicators but said it will be shipped shortly. i will highly recomend this kit to anyone if i can install it anyone can.

jhearne

Buckeye
The smooth it kit doesn't do too much for the pull weight and the Ghost Rocket has been hit or miss. I didn't notice much with it either. I can't find it on his site, but I have the Galloway Competition Kit in my SR9. I put in a polished striker indicator the other day and the trigger pull is ridiculous now. Not recommended for a go to defense gun. I'll be adding something else full sized for that.

Josh

jhearne

Buckeye
I found this photo I took when the parts came in....Galloway needs to confirm the parts and why this kit isn't online anymore. From what I can tell, I have a unicorn SR9 :)

7dbd2543.jpg

New Striker (polished)
- w/ new spring (lighter than stock?)
New Striker Blocker (polished)
- w/ new spring (lighter?)
Heavier trigger reset spring
Polished (factory) Reset Bar (just the contact/wear points)

Bear in mind that all my other internals have polished contact points as well, and I've added a polished striker indicator. Mag DC is removed too if that's worth mentioning :)

Josh

Coreyq65

Bearcat
After the polish on my barrel turned out so good i believe ill polish my striker out like the one in the pic you posted from the comp kit. i have my mag dc out. im dreading getting that crosspin out to put in my shiny striker indicator(when it comes in) after reading the thread about cutting the striker spring. i dont believe ill cut that spring (still pondering) but i just want to get a lighter trigger for target shooting. i compared my trigger to my friends sr9c and they are almost identical now. his was lighter than mine before. ive polished all the internals to a good shine any other tips on how to get a lighter trigger?

Also i just discovered my shots kept drifting to the left severly when i was finishing up saturday and when i was cleaning it i discovered my rear sights are compleatly loose sliding back and forth in the dovetail. I dont know how to fix this superglue mabey but i dont prefer to glue them back in as i might want to add aftermarket sights later and tips???

jhearne

Buckeye
As for the rear sight, there's a set screw that can be tightened. If it still slips, try some blue loctite.

Polishing the striker helps some with the smoothness. I'm not for cutting springs, but if you cannot find a replacement, lighter spring, and still want a lighter pull, it's your gun. Just have a spare factory spring handy. On polishing, mainly the contact/wear points. Don't change any geometry. In my other stickied thread, the 2nd post details the points I first polished. Those are the main ones. The striker blocker is one to pay attention to. Also, break down your entire slide and clean it out. Gunk gets into the striker blocker spring sometimes and can end up in the striker channel (by poor design of the extractor). Keep that clean and it stays as smooth as can be.

The roll pin in the striker isn't hard to remove even if you don't have a good workbench. I do recommend some sort of soft jawed vise. Just be aware that the striker's plastic bits can come flying out once the pin is cleared. Replacing the indicator is easy if you have the proper pin punch.

Josh

blindjim

Bearcat
is it OK to ask, or post things here on the compact series of these pistols? I see often, what is offered on the larger series has trickled down or up, to the compacts too.

Perhaps you would want to add the Laser Max Genisis rechargeable green rail moutned laser to the list. Insight too makes one or two green lasers, and other vendor's green lasers are out there.

My current question folowing the aboe posts is about the sights too... exactly how does one remove and replace them with other sights? All from one set screw for each rear & front??

...another would be about CC holsters

Aberdrew13

Bearcat
I installed the Ghost Tactical Trigger Reset Bar and after I got it fitted, the trigger feels dramatically better. The original pull weight was only 7 lbs and after the bar was installed, it only dropped to 6 lbs (instead of the 5 claimed by Ghost,) but I was amazed at how much better the trigger felt.

Now for some polishing on the Trigger Transfer Bar and Striker and some Galloway Part installs.

Does anyone have a picture of the Galloway Precision Optic Mount? I've seen the picture on their website, but it's a little small.

ETA: I've installed the Galloway Precision "Smooth it Kit" with the Striker Indicator, Striker Plunger and spring, and Trigger Transfer Bar Spring. With just a minimal amount of polishing of the striker and trigger transfer bar, my trigger pull is now around 4.5 lbs.

MikeyLikeCarbonFiber

Single-Sixer
Galloway Precision gets 2 thumbs up from me!
2+thumbs+up+01.jpg

I bought their Smooth It Trigger Kit, Kit 4, and an 18lb Guide Rod. Shipping was very fast and their customer service was EXCELLENT. I had an issue with the Guide Rod and Eric fixed it super fast and was very helpful!

My only knock on them is that their Smooth It Trigger Kits don't come with instructions but rather they have a gun breakdown video on their website. The problem with the breakdown video is the camera angle is pretty bad and the guys hand blocks a lot of what he's doing. The install isn't rocket science but a better video or paper instructions would make the install a little easier. To help me with install I used the exploded diagram Ruger gives you in their manual.

If you are a newbie at gun mods like I am, my advice is to watch the video a few times while looking at the exploded diagram Ruger has in the manual before attempting the install.

BeerManNOLA

Bearcat
Has anyone looked at a higher capacity flush fit magazine for the SRXXC models? I can really only speak of the SR40C, but the magazine seems to have a lot of space at the bottom, considering where the last spy hole is located at 9 round capacity. It would seem you could stick one or maybe two more rounds in a magazine and it still be flush fit. Anyone else look at this, or am i crazy? Either possibility is likely, ;-), but I was just curious if anyone had looked into this.

Thanks.

BeerManNOLA

hindsbru

Bearcat
I'm new here, so please direct me if I'm in the wrong place.

Now that I've fallen in love with my new SR9, I'd like to put a laser on it. The only thing I can find is a rail mount or rear sight. Those are too big and bulky though for concealed carry.

Has anyone modified a Crimson Trace Laserguard to fit the SR9?
They make the LG-449 for the SR9C and SR40C, the LG-431 for the LCP, and the LG-412 for the LC9.
These are really nice and smooth with a narrow profile. I would imagine that the guard and rail would be close enough in size and shape to modify one of these lasers or my frame to fit.

I called them, they have no plans and they don't think any of the current models will fit. So I put in my request at http://www.crimsontrace.com/company/contact?tabIndex=2#contactForms . If nobody knows how to adapt one of these little buggers, maybe we could get a group buy!

Oh, they are making green ones too. So I requested they make a new Laserguard for the SR9 in Green.