SR9/SR9c/SR40 Modifications and Accessories

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jhearne

Buckeye
Tmyoungjr said:
jhearne said:
Might pose the question in the forum on it's own, not many folks read this post aside from myself.

Josh

Not true! I read this post every time I see new posts in it :)

Key words in bold :)

waldo1324

Bearcat
ive got some machinist thats going to make my SS rod,,,, but im thinking of going aftermarket:
whats the best (IYOpinion) value / overall aftermaket SS?

thanks guys

Tmyoungjr

Bearcat
waldo1324 said:
ive got some machinist thats going to make my SS rod,,,, but im thinking of going aftermarket:

thanks guys

Thats easy - galloway IMO. and he has his new v2 guide rods coming out soon

jhearne

Buckeye
Galloway's are nice. Not much to them, I made my own at work, but have a Galloway as well.

Josh

Doug1

Bearcat
I grinded off the the magazine release button on the side of the gun, i didn't like it being in the way of my trigger finger. too easy to accidently hit and possibly cause magazine to move or fall out.

jhearne

Buckeye
I don't think I could make my right hand drop the mag from the right side of the gun intentionally. Definitely not in the way of my trigger finger.

Pics?

Josh

Doug1

Bearcat
i dont have a pic and am too lazy/busy to do one, at least tonight. probably done more out of irritation of the button and having to feel it as i go for the trigger than actually causing mag to drop out. i have some 17 handguns(3 revolvers) and its the only one that has that button on both sides.

Doug1

Bearcat
oh, sorry, i just went and looked at each one. my springfield xd9 has the mag release on both sides. diffence is that it doesn't get touched when going for trigger, much lower. that is the full size xd

jhearne

Buckeye
I wouldn't mind seeing a Galloway option to make the release non-ambidextrous. Leave the overall length of the button the same, but move the channel over to one side. The end effect would be a flush fit on one side and an extended button on the other. You could remove and flip it as you wanted to.

I don't know if this concept would work on the "D" shaped button, I'm not sure it's symmetrical enough to simply flip it. I want to think it is.

Josh

BlueVue

Bearcat
As a Lefty, I gotta say I love the ambidextrous mag release. Given that we make up about 20% of the male population, it's kinda sad how few options there are for us in terms of guns, holsters, etc.
Now, if they would only just start making guns with ambidextrous slide releases!

jhearne

Buckeye
BlueVue said:
As a Lefty, I gotta say I love the ambidextrous mag release. Given that we make up about 20% of the male population, it's kinda sad how few options there are for us in terms of guns, holsters, etc.
Now, if they would only just start making guns with ambidextrous slide releases!

I'm actually a lefty, but do a lot of stuff right handed too. Guitar, shoot, kick, all right hand/footed, but I bat, throw and write left handed. I'll agree though, it would be nice to see more lefty/ambi options.

Josh

Doug1

Bearcat
BlueVue said:
yeah, i couldn't imagine life as a left hander, so fewer options, golf clubs especially comes to mind, then like you said holsters, etc.

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
jhearne said:
I wouldn't mind seeing a Galloway option to make the release non-ambidextrous. Leave the overall length of the button the same, but move the channel over to one side. The end effect would be a flush fit on one side and an extended button on the other. You could remove and flip it as you wanted to.

I don't know if this concept would work on the "D" shaped button, I'm not sure it's symmetrical enough to simply flip it. I want to think it is.

Josh

Noted. The D shaped button can't be flipped either. I had to redo my Dshaped units since I got the arc off about .010 They are coming soon.
Eric

edgalang

Bearcat
Tmyoungjr said:
waldo1324 said:

thanks guys

Thats easy - galloway IMO. and he has his new v2 guide rods coming out soon

Oh it's out alright.

V1
DSCF0209.JPG

DSCF0213.JPG

V2
DSCF0319.JPG

DSCF0320.JPG

DSCF0331.JPG

Stock (reference photo for non-SR9c owners)
DSCF0208.JPG

I can honestly say I'm proud to show off the V2.

edgalang

Bearcat
jhearne said:
That polished one is nice.

Josh

I completely agree. Although aesthetics aside, I think it's the fact that the polished version has a thinner head and a shorter overall shaft that makes the fit and finish top notch.

Now to patiently wait for Eric's next creation. I'm hoping for SS D-shaped mag release, in either equal or smaller overall length than OEM.

jhearne

Buckeye
edgalang said:
jhearne said:
That polished one is nice.

Josh

I completely agree. Although aesthetics aside, I think it's the fact that the polished version has a thinner head and a shorter overall shaft that makes the fit and finish top notch.

Now to patiently wait for Eric's next creation. I'm hoping for SS D-shaped mag release, in either equal or smaller overall length than OEM.

I know he's been working on a D shaped one. I can't give any info as I have no gun with D shaped button :)

Patience, Grasshopper.

Josh

waldo1324

Bearcat
ok , wow.. it seems im behind the times... that rod setup is totally different than the full size??

interesting- so since the rod is captive on the full size, ill just make my machinist copy the outside diameter of the rod ( clipping off the flare of the stock rod at the front of the weapon ) and keep the nail head at the breech?
does anyone forsee any problems with the 'flare' at the muzzle being non-existent?