Mark ll Target with trigger issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jpsnides

Bearcat
I have a Ruger Mk ll, 6 7/8" Target version, that I bought new back in the '80s.

The trigger is a little sloppy, and the bigger issue is that sometimes I squeeze the trigger and must let pressure off and squeeze again in order to fire. It's like the trigger is hanging up on something.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Is it an easy fix?

I don't remember if it was this way when new or developed along the way, but been that way for a long time.

Thanks for any assistance.

hittman

Staff member
Not sure if Ruger still services them but …., I'd ask them first.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
When did you last clean and oil it ? Did you inspect the working parts in the gun for wear ? All normal repair parts are available new and used. Many of the parts interchange for most models including some parts used in Mark 4 models. Do some research and shop around for the best prices on parts.

CHEVYINLINE6.

Have you shot it a lot and it's just slowly gotten worse over time? (Sorry, just re-read your post and see you answered this.)

I have a Mark II and its trigger is pretty sloppy and light from years of use. BUT it doesn't do the press twice to fire like yours does. Thats sounds like a safety issue which needs fixed before being shot again.

Rimfire Sports

Bearcat
Sounds like you might not be releasing the trigger after a shot. Remember, when you squeeze the trigger, you're pulling the disconnector forward and causing the disconnector to push the sear out from underneath the hammer. If you're still holding the trigger back in the pulled position, you need to release it enough so the disconnector move back enough to allow the sear spring to push the sear back under the hammer. If you're not holding the trigger back after a shot, you may need a new disconnector as the one you have may have gotten bent slightly.

Dan in MI

Staff member
I believe the fault as described is you pull the trigger, nothing happens, slightly release and pull again and it goes bang. This sounds like classic adjustable trigger adjustments slightly off.

Since this is a target version, it should have an over travel screw. Back it out a 1/2 turn and try.

jpsnides

Bearcat
I believe the fault as described is you pull the trigger, nothing happens, slightly release and pull again and it goes bang. This sounds like classic adjustable trigger adjustments slightly off.

Since this is a target version, it should have an over travel screw. Back it out a 1/2 turn and try.
Hmm, Sorry for my ignorance, but where would this screw be?

jpsnides

Bearcat
Sounds like you might not be releasing the trigger after a shot. Remember, when you squeeze the trigger, you're pulling the disconnector forward and causing the disconnector to push the sear out from underneath the hammer. If you're still holding the trigger back in the pulled position, you need to release it enough so the disconnector move back enough to allow the sear spring to push the sear back under the hammer. If you're not holding the trigger back after a shot, you may need a new disconnector as the one you have may have gotten bent slightly.
Thanks, I'll look at this.

Dan in MI

Staff member
You will need to tear the gun down to adjust, as it is on the face of the trigger. Look for debris in the frame in front of the trigger before you pull the trigger out,

Captureruger.JPG

TestEngineer

Bearcat
Just the reverse Dan. You are correct for screws installed in the shoe, but he needs to turn it IN for a screw installed on the front face (like a Ruger trigger has).

wagwan

Bearcat
Since the triggers are aluminum, the pin hole can become worn and elongated on well used models. Not sure if this would cause your problem but it's another thing to look at.
I prefer the steel triggers from Volquartsen.

Latest posts