SR22 Barrel loose?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

doberman

Bearcat
Has anyone had an issue with their SR22 pistol's barrel coming loose? This has happened twice and has not been a big deal. The first time happened after about 800 rds, and the second at around 2200. I just tightened it back up both times and will check it each time I clean it. It has not affected function or accuracy. The last time it felt as if it was nearly ready to come off. Just wondered if anyone else had the same issue. ( Forgive me.....I know there was a thread on this a couple of years ago, but I did not locate it)

Jwp721

Single-Sixer
I believe the suggestion was to use loctite. I have had my SR since Feb 2013 and have resisted the urge to remove the barrel. Still as solid today as it was the day I got it.

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
Same here. I have 2 SR22's. Have had no reason to remove the barrels. I do check each cleaning, and they are as tight today as the day I bough them. Having said that, I only have about 300 rounds through each. Based on your experience, I will pay special attention to the barrel with each cleaning going forward.
Thanks for posting.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
The barrels on SR 22 pistols are held in place with a screw. If the barrel was never, ever, intended to be removed, I'm sure Ruger would have used a means to affix the barrel in place to prevent removal.

I find it much easier to remove tool marks from the feed ramp with the barrel out of the grip frame. Except for grip screws, most all screws in any firearm are less likely to vibrate loose with a few well placed dollops of Loc-Tite. I use and prefer #242, as that is considered a "serviceable" thread locker, meaning the screws can be removed with hand tools. Clean, oil free threads are always a good idea before any thread-locker is applied though.