SR1911 and Federal Ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Steve4cr

Bearcat
RCP1936 said:
Were you having the problem with both 7 and 8 round mags ?

Yes both mags.

Update:
I picked up the new one yesterday. First thing I noticed was how tighter the spring was. It was a
lott harder to pull back.

Going to try to test this Sat. Got some Remington, Winchester, American Eagle and the Fedrals

JEA1957

Bearcat
I'm surprised you had such issues with your new gun! I have shot the Federal Champion ammo through mine with no issues; as well as PMC, Winchester White Box, REM-UMC and assorted handloads. No issues at all with any of them. I will say, the last box of Fed. Champion that I bought had PLATED bullets and not FMJ bullets! I still have 2 older boxes of the FMJ ball, but shot the box with the plated bullets.

Accuracy was good but there was an issue with the bullets being forced deeper into the case being chambered when firing the gun.(or just cycling them) I had 3 rounds that I took apart and re-loaded/re-crimped, in order to feel safe firing them without fear of over pressure upon firing. The bullets were soft and easily damaged. I wonder how Federal gets away with calling these FMJ when they are actually plated lead bullets? I haven't bought any more since; been buying REM-UMC instead.

Hope your new SR1911 does you proud-mine does!

Steve4cr

Bearcat
Thanks for the reply. Glad to see another user using the Federals. I am going Sat AM to test it. I got 4 different brands.
I did a full clean and oil. The new one definitely feels tighter and the the spring has more tension. I think the federals will go om my list of ammo to avoid, especially on the .45.
Thanks
Steve

Steve4cr

Bearcat
Woohoo, went to the range and put 200 rounds through the new one (including the Federals) without so much as a hiccup.

Shot great and got a bulls eye at 50 yards (lucky shot).

Thanks for all the replies and insight.

Steve