SR 22 Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tjironhorse

Single-Sixer
Am looking at picking up an SR 22, but before I do, I would like to know the pros and cons from current owners.
All input appreciated.
TJ

buckeyedave

Bearcat
I really like mine. Lots of fun to shoot. Put the pinkie extensions on the mags and when you change the grip size heat them up with a hairdryer. Comes right off with no fighting.

have fun.

chrisheile

Bearcat
I love mine. Tight groups as fast as I can pull the trigger right out of the box. Feels good in my hand (I like the small grip and the pinky extensions. Sights are nice and I like the looks of it. My only complaint was that I have to pry the takedown bar open. I'm told it will probably loosen up after a few takedowns.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
Other than extra magazines being a little pricy at $34.95 there is nothing wrong withe the SR22p. You can save 20% on mags after you register pistol on line so that helps and everything else is all good, they are accurate, dependable and a lot of fun to shoot, and when your through shooting they are the easiest pistol to field strip and clean that i have ever owned.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
If I had to find a fault with the SR22P it would be that the safety/decocker is backwards [up fire-down safety/decock]. Great sights. Beautiful finish. Well designed. Relatively economical to shoot. Accessory rail in case you want to add something. Ambidextrous mag release and safety/decocker. Feels great in the hand and points naturally. Easily field strips without tools. The SR22P is one sweet little fun gun to shoot and it shoots straight and dependably in a nice quality designed package.

Did I mention I love it?

Bearcat
Just plain fun to shoot! It eats everything. Everything everybody else said, including the flaw of the reverse safety/decocker. I found one other flaw and that is it is always hungry for ammo. 500 to 600 rounds at a time. It is my favorite gun by far and I have many.

Did I mention that it is fun to shoot?

tjironhorse

Single-Sixer
Wow. Thanks to all who replied. Looks as though the SR22 is my next purchase. I'll have to make it soon, since I live in NY. The new garbage law that passed only allows purchase of 10 round capacity up until April 15th 2013.
TJ

reakin

Single-Sixer
Trucker said:
If I had to find a fault with the SR22P it would be that the safety/decocker is backwards [up fire-down safety/decock].

How is that a flaw? Isn't that exactly how Ruger's P-series guns operate? I've never had an issue with my P89.

reakin

chrisheile

Bearcat
reakin said:
Trucker said:
If I had to find a fault with the SR22P it would be that the safety/decocker is backwards [up fire-down safety/decock].

How is that a flaw? Isn't that exactly how Ruger's P-series guns operate? I've never had an issue with my P89.

reakin

I don't mind the safety on the SR22. I had a P95. It is more of a forward motion to fire as opposed to the up motion of the SR22. Once again though, I don't have a problem with it. It is in a safe location so considering the trigger pull, I don't generally use the safety anyway.

carbonyl

Single-Sixer
Absolutely love mine. I have thousands of rounds through it. The pros are too numerous to count. I haven't found a con yet.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
reakin said:
Trucker said:

reakin

Did I say anything about a "flaw"? Don't think so. And I don't know anything about Ruger's P-series guns since I've never had one in my hands. I do own a LC9 ... safety DOWN to fire. I do own a SR9C ... safety DOWN to fire. I've owned other autoloaders over the years and, guess what ... safety DOWN to fire.

I'm not the only one that wishes, for the sake of consistency, the safety/decocker was down to fire, up for safe. That's a personal preference as opposed to a "flaw".

Bearcat
I called it a flaw and I view it as such. Every gun I have ever owned has the safety up. This includes the eight semi auto pistols I currently own including a Whalther PPK/s with a decocker. I am using this gun as a trainer to teach my daughter how to shoot and this has been an issue. Althought I personally see it as a flaw, this is by far my favorite gun to shoot. I would recommend and do recommend this gun to anyone.

Shinytop

Bearcat
My other gun with a safety is a Beretta Storm compact. It also has the safety down when safe, up to fire. Flaw, no. Different from your other guns, perhaps.

Bearcat
That is the beauty of this great nation, we can agree to disagree. Not another person may see it as a flaw, but I still do. Does not change how much I enjoy this gun. I just added a Gallaway recoil guide rod and spring assembly today. I also upgraded my eight 10 round magazines to 13 round magazines. That now makes it 105 rounds (13+1 the first time) before I have to reload instead of 80. This will just make her even more hungry for whatever I can find to feed her.

JebNY

Bearcat
tjironhorse said:
Just watched several u tube vids showing breakage issues with the take down lever. Anyone have experience with this issue?
TJ

They changed the design of the take down lever. Not sure what the change over SN was but if you search around there are pictures of the two styles online. Mine was made before one of the reported switch over numbers but it has the new style lever. Ruger will fix for free if you have a problems.

As many have already said it is a great gun. I have about thousand rounds through mine since early December. Glad it shoots cheap ammo because you can go though a 100 rounds pretty fast.

tjironhorse

Single-Sixer
Well I found one locally this morning. Black anodized one. Cost me $379 plus tax $412 otd. A little higher than expected to pay but it felt absolutely great in my hand. I had the option to buy a threaded barrel one for $25 more, but I passed. Dont think I would ever apply for a suppressor. Hope that decision doesnt bite me in the butt down the road. I wont be picking the gun up untill Tuesday. Cant wait.
TJ

valkrider8

Single-Sixer
I put the first 200 rounds through mine this past weekend without a hiccup. What a fun gun, it's a keeper for sure.

Latest posts