Dry fire training system for Ruger SR 40

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mustangii

Bearcat
Not sure what you are asking for and why the Ruger SR40 would need a specific dry fire training.....

There are a number of disciplines for dry fire training.....
I am referring to training systems like Mantis X. Ammunition is not cheap. So I wanted to use sonething like Mantis X to train.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

I have seen the Mantis system at SHOT,, as well as a few other systems. I really didn't look closely at any of them, because I feel you can develop skills w/o such systems. So I can't say if there is a specific system, similar to the Mantis,, for the SR-40.
But due to the fact the SR-40 is no longer offered,, and doesn't enjoy the mass appeal that some other guns or models enjoy,, I'd GUESS there isn't a specific system for them.

Sorry I can't be of any further help.

I just had a few thoughts to add.

I shoot USPSA,, and have since 1998. I have RO-ed, shot with, and studied many the top names in USPSA all these years. All of them dry-fire practice without a special system. They develop their own routine with just their gun, holster, snap caps, and even a full length mirror. Some use their red dot's as well as a laser to assist in their dry fire training routine. All are quite successful because they do dry fire practice, as well as live fire.
The one common denominator ALL of them have shared with me is how much they practice.
They build a routine. Usually about 4-6 times a week, they dry fire practice, as well as 2-4 times a week they live fire practice. They ALL focus on the basics of the grip, the draw, the presentation, and the trigger pull, as the beginning of their daily practice routine. Each & every one has said; "Get the basics down to where it's a deeply ingrained motor memory skill, and build from there."
Max Michel Jr., Todd Jarrett, both preached to me the necessity of how you must be able to get the exact same feel, the exact same presentation, and the exact same trigger pull, as a solid foundation of good shooting as a good warm-up in any routine.

If you can't find a system like the Mantis for your SR-40,, them maybe this little advice can offer some help.

Last edited:
I've had a pretty good bit of training and some of it was how to do dry fire practice..... One of the key parts that Contender mentioned is to learn to draw properly and get the right grip on the pistol... the issue is to have someone at first watching and correcting anything you are doing wrong. I suspect the majority of those carrying if faced with a immediate deadly force situation are going to fumble their draw.... watch the video of the church shooting in Texas a year or so ago and the 2nd guy killed did this and that second he spent fumbling his draw from a holster at his 6 o'clock cost him his life.

I don't know if it is what you are looking for but I have a Laser Ammo Targeting system in my office and a pistol exactly like the one I carry with one of their laser cartridges in it and this lets me practice my aiming and firing and sometimes I even do the drawing from concealed with it.

Latest posts