Ruger SR-9 Project: Looking for suggestions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hello everyone.

In 2008 I saw the Ruger SR-9 for the first time. Although I had never shot a gun yet at that time, nor new nothing about it, I told myself one day when I got my permit that I would have one.

Fast forward to 5 months ago, I obtained my Florida CCW, and my father surprised me by handing me down a Ruger SR-9 he had for 4 years, unbeknownst to me, that he had put maybe 100 rounds thru! I also received a KelTec P-11 that is my daily carry currently, thats been fully modded out with the entire M*Carbo Catalog offerings.

I love the way the Ruger shoots, and once in awhile I will take it for the day as my carry ,despite being a fullsize pistol. I'm getting ready to modify it for the first time and I had some questions. My goal is to build a nice personal/home defense weapon.

I'm looking at the Ghost "Tactical" Trigger bar that is 5lbs vs the Ultimate (or could be Rocket) that is a 3.5# pull. I'm almost thinking the Tactical at 5# would be better than the 3.5#, because again this will be a self defense build and i still want to have some resistance on the trigger. My Keltec is a 5# trigger (still yet to verify, im going to ask my gunsmith to next time im at the shop).

Sights: I'm fighting myself over an optical vs fiber optic standard sights. I have a holster designed for the tac light/laser I purchased for it. I'm almost thinking for ease of carrying (and being able to carry daily if I choose), the standard sights in fiber optic would be better.

Also, I'm going to be throwing the entire Galloway catalog at the gun, I just wanted to see who had their SR modded and what you thought of the mods.

Thanks for any advice you can provide the newb!

Maybe you should spend some time with a standard reliable gun and get some actual training before you go all John Wick on your guns. When you reach the point that you might possibly benefit from these mods then you can think about them. It sounds like you want a 1911 trigger with no safety whatsoever. Maybe you should focus on not endangering yourself and everyone around you.

Nothing unsafe or risky about a 5 pound SR9 trigger - the standard compact version of your SR9 (the SR9C) came straight from the Ruger factory with a 5.2 pound trigger, according to the last review I read. I don't know if the SR9C trigger parts would fit your full-size, so it might be easier to go with the aftermarket parts you're looking at. And a lot of guys also opt for aftermarket sights (seems like about half the Glock owners out there have ditched their factory plastic sights); definitely a matter of personal preference.

Same with lights and holsters - I don't personally like lights mounted on handguns, but a lot of folks seem to go that way. And just about every gun owner in America has about 3 or 4 times as many holsters as guns (trying to find the right fit & function, or different designs for different uses, etc.). While we're at it, I'll mention one last thing: if you stumble across any used factory mags for your SR9 that look affordable, you might pick 'em up (hard to have too many factory mags, even the 10-rd 'Blue State' versions are good for range use)!

As always IMHO, YMMV, FWIW, etc., etc.
:)

Maybe you should spend some time with a standard reliable gun and get some actual training before you go all John Wick on your guns. When you reach the point that you might possibly benefit from these mods then you can think about them. It sounds like you want a 1911 trigger with no safety whatsoever. Maybe you should focus on not endangering yourself and everyone around you.
Thanks for the concern, however being, I was partially raised by my stepfather who is an NRA Instructor and retired LEO, and teaches basic and tactical pistol courses, im very comfortable and able to handle a firearm. I'm not a professional by any means, but im not Mickey the Dunce grabbing one either. I said I got my permit 5 months ago, not that I handled a firearm for the first time. I've never shot a modified pistol, and grew up around SIGs and Glocks.

Like I said, I don't think I'm a pro, but I do alright. :)

Last edited:
Nothing unsafe or risky about a 5 pound SR9 trigger - the standard compact version of your SR9 (the SR9C) came straight from the Ruger factory with a 5.2 pound trigger, according to the last review I read. I don't know if the SR9C trigger parts would fit your full-size, so it might be easier to go with the aftermarket parts you're looking at. And a lot of guys also opt for aftermarket sights (seems like about half the Glock owners out there have ditched their factory plastic sights); definitely a matter of personal preference.

Same with lights and holsters - I don't personally like lights mounted on handguns, but a lot of folks seem to go that way. And just about every gun owner in America has about 3 or 4 times as many holsters as guns (trying to find the right fit & function, or different designs for different uses, etc.). While we're at it, I'll mention one last thing: if you stumble across any used factory mags for your SR9 that look affordable, you might pick 'em up (hard to have too many factory mags, even the 10-rd 'Blue State' versions are good for range use)!

As always IMHO, YMMV, FWIW, etc., etc.
:)
After I procure your KelTec parts and recover (lol) I am dropping the SR9 off at the Gunsmith to have Everything installed. I'm going to grab the full Kit from Galloway and have the 5# tactical bar installed.

I did all the work on my KelTec myself, and had my Gunsmith look it over (I even adjusted the trigger correctly). With the SR, I want it absolutely perfect, so I'm going to put my pride to the side and have him do the install, adjustment and sight the gun in. My father is trying to get me to have it done before he comes visit from CT so he can shoot it when hes down here, as he always wanted to do it and never got around to it. LOL.

Thanks for the concern, however being, I was partially raised by my stepfather who is an NRA Instructor and retired LEO, and teaches basic and tactical pistol courses, im very comfortable and able to handle a firearm. I'm not a professional by any means, but im not Mickey the Dunce grabbing one either. I said I got my permit 5 months ago, not that I handled a firearm for the first time. I've never shot a modified pistol, and grew up around SIGs and Glocks.

Like I said, I don't think I'm a pro, but I do alright. :)
OK your OP made it sound like this is your first gun and you had only seen one in the past. Modified guns can be sketchy territory. To get lighter trigger pulls they usually lighten the hammer/striker spring meaning primers aren't being hit as hard. I look at modifying a firearm like I do working up a load for a specific firearm. There's always a point of diminishing returns. So many people buy a gun, modify the crap out of it and never actually verify accuracy and reliability. I have individual loads for almost all of my guns because I know they are the most accurate and effective I have found for that gun. I will frequently sacrifice a little bit of trigger pull for reliably lighting the primer. 1911's had several mechanical safeties for a reason. I'm convinced that many of the ND's we keep seeing is because people are carrying the equivalent of a cocked 1911 with the grip safety taped down and the manual safety off.

I recently picked up another SR9 on a deal I couldn't pass up., My first one has been sitting in the safe for a long time while.
First range trip reminded me on how well the SR feels and shoots.
Much softer shooting than most of the other 9's.
It's become my favorite shooter, again and always is first into the range bag. The sights are OK but I may change them over if I find something better for my older eyes.
FOR MYSELF, i would not go below about 5 # trigger on my home defense
guns.
I have a Kimber Gold Match that's just over 3#'s and I have to be very mindfull at the firing line on that first shot .
I don't have any experience with lights or lazers.
SR9
What a great gun.

I've had my SR9 for a few years now. It's an early version with the green frame. It did have some teething problems early on. The first mod was the removal of the loaded chamber indicator and the magazine disconnecter. The Galloway blank went in the loaded chamber indicator slot. This improved cycling nicely. When I ordered the loaded chamber indicator black I also ordered their steel recoil spring/guide rod assembly. After these modifications the pistol worked reliably but I don't know wether the improvements were due to the new parts or the gun continuing to break in. The trigger pull was still inconsistent most times it was fine but once in awhile it felt like the pull weight doubled. So my last mod was drop in trigger bar also from Galloway. It didn't exactly drop in. It took some video watching and swearing but I finally got it installed.I think it was a Ghost part. I haven't fired it yet but the trigger pull feels much more consistent and a little lighter. Good luck with your mods I'm interested to hear how it works out. I have seven 9mm handguns and the SR9 is by far the most comfortable to my hand.

My suggestion would be to do one modification at a time, then use the gun to make sure that mod hasn't affected reliability. After you're satisfied that the mod is reliable, make the next mod.

If you do a whole pantload of mods at one time and the gun becomes unreliable you can have a difficult time figuring out what causes the problem.

Armybrat

Buckeye
SR9 Ruger screwed up when they discontinued it . Have had four of them gave 3 to my kids still have one . My most carried gun.
I agree.
This is my 1st SR9 - bought it in 2008 after the trigger recall.
Paid $430 new at a gun show. Bought another in early 2019 for $300, then my last one for $250 on a closeout late that year.
Kids have the first two, this last one is my nightstand gun.
I see no reason to modify it at all.
2B8C550D-641A-45B0-9ABF-8E418A4DA855.jpeg
092CD220-E767-436C-A41A-98D9CBAC5E37.jpeg

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
You might want to check the factory trigger pull before you change it. I did a fluff and buff on my SR9C and got the factory trigger pull down to 4.5lbs. It also came with a more crisp trigger than any of my Glocks.

If you are set on upgrading your sights, the combination tritium/fiber optic sights are nice.

I have the Crimson Trace Laser Guard on my SR9C. On my other concealed carry pistol I mounted a Surefire XC1b. Either one keeps the package slim and trim.

I would suggest not kitting out your gun too much unless you spend a lot of time practicing with all the new functions.

I don't see myself buying anything that isn't optic ready with a rail. I'm going back and adding them to all of my older guns. I already have the Aircraft rivets to attach a rail to this! I just have to cut and mill a piece of Picatinny to fit!!!
IMG_20230802_175815892.jpg

any ruger

Blackhawk
There used to be a video on the Sr9 what to polish and how to do, Complete disassemble I mean Complete not just for cleaning, Did my first one when the video came out . Didn't keep it my son has it still functions flawlessly. Don't know why it was removed do have a idea though.

Latest posts