SP101 hitting low - way low!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jay1958

Bearcat
I recently purchased a used SP101 .38 and on the first trip to the range, it is hitting 4 inches low at 10 yds! I tried both Lawman 158gr +P and Federal NyClad 158gr +P.

Obviously the SP101 doesn't have adjustable sights, so I'm concerned about this. I know the SP101 is a self-defense firearm, not a target pistol, but 4 inches low at 10 yds has me a little concerned.

I also have a GP100 4-inch, Security-Six 6-inch, S&W 642 snubby and Single-Six, and they all shoot dead on (of course, the other Rugers have adjustable sights, so that is a big difference). My point being, I don't think it's "just me".

Also, I have fired some rounds thru some SP101 357s that belonged to other people at the range, and they shot pretty comfortably. This one is slapping my trigger finger pretty good... on one round - and only one - I felt something gritty blow back on my face - YES I always wear eye and ear protection.

Any thoughts on these issues? Low POI - trigger slap - gritty blow back on one round.

I only put 15 rounds total thru it on the first range trip, so the blow back was not caused by a dirty gun. I cleaned and inspected it prior to taking it to the range.

bennettfam

Single-Sixer
for aim prob try:
...different ammo
...lowering the target (sorry, had to say it)
...last resort: file down front sight

trigger slap I would alter your hand hold, then try different grips

gritty blow back: only one round maybe a bad round. watch out for repeats of this as it could be a timing problem?

Good luck.

Jay1958

Bearcat
Thanks for the input, guys!

I will definitely try different ammo. I would hate to starting filing on the front sight, but I don't want it hitting that low if nothing else works.

Is there any way to check the timing, other than test firing at the range?

I appreciate the help.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The front sight on these guns is easily replaced if you file too much or want to start over. I had to file mine quite a bit to get the POI high enough. I have found that many snubs have front sights that are way too tall. Not sure why they do that.

bennettfam said:
for aim prob try:
...different ammo
...lowering the target (sorry, had to say it)
...last resort: file down front sight

trigger slap I would alter your hand hold, then try different grips

gritty blow back: only one round maybe a bad round. watch out for repeats of this as it could be a timing problem?

Good luck.

I agree, but I'd 'add' "hold higher" ( I like lower the target....) :lol:
small gun, you just may be "leaning into it" or the trigger angle is "different for YOU....
as for the "blow by", I'd just recut the forcing cone, some of them are very shallow and I "think" they may be only 5 degrees.....I'd go with the 11 degree angle.
Just my .02 cents, ,bottomn line try different ammo and shoot the snot out of it..........enjoy :wink:

nn

Single-Sixer
Once you get used to it, aiming 4 inches high is second nature.

wwb

Hunter
It's not all bad.... in a hurry, or in a high-stress situation, you're 99% certain to shoot high. In a self-defense situation, the range is going to be less than 10 yards, and shooting for center of mass with a 4" group will do the job.

mustang99

Single-Sixer
They probably err on the side of too tall. You can file a sight on a gun that shoots low, but if the sight is too low...................

sunday bill

Single-Sixer
Had to go all the way down to a 185 gr. bullet to get a recent acquisition (5 shot cylinder, S&W K-size frame, 3" barrel, 44 Special, off-brand) to shoot low enough. Had to file the rear sight on its right side to bring the p.o.i. to the right. Also had to put the hurangously large grip frame and stocks to the grinder, but in the end, its a heckuva carry gun.

If you plan to keep it, file that front sight a little, try it, repeat til point-on. The 101's a superb pocket piece.

mtnbikerx

Bearcat
I'm a pretty good shot with my 625 PC 4" and my first trip to the range with the 101 I shot a great group --- 2" to the left. I'm thinking of filing the rear groove a little too.

twobisquit

Single-Sixer
I dont want to imply this is the reason but sometimes it takes a while to get the feel of a new gun and grips. I bought my Sp101 used with Houge grips. It shot about 6" low but after I put on the original grips it was dead on.

correction_chart.gif

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
nn said:
Once you get used to it, aiming 4 inches high is second nature.
This is correct for a SP-101 shooting 38 specials. The gun was designed to shoot POA with 158gr 357 magnums. Your 38 special is the same gun and sight set-up as the 357 model. With my gun shooting 38 specials I just hold a little high. You could file the front sight down and touch it up with some cold black. :shock: :D

...Jimbo

Jay1958

Bearcat
I really appreciate all the input! Now that I know that my SP101 hitting 4-inches low is not uncommon, I feel better about it. Knowing that the front sight is fairly easy to replace makes me feel better about potentially filing it, too.

I did put another 25 rounds thru it. S&B 158gr FMJ, not +P. Still hitting low - but no blowback this time, and trigger slap was also less noticeable. Not sure if less trigger slap was the difference between +P and standard ammo? or if I am just getting more used to the SP101?

Thanks again, guys!