So what makes a Blackhawk shoot too high?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ph_redhawk

Bearcat
woodperson said:
"I silver soldered a piece of 1/16" brazing rod atop the front sight. That worked out well 40+ years ago and now."

Been thinking about that for mine. How much of the finish or blueing is damaged when you silver solder to the sight? Unfortunately my gun has been refinished already and I am worried about messing it up. Would soft solder hold a piece of rod on the sight? Did you put the rod on so that it looks like a bead sight? Is 1/16" a good size? Thanks for any further information.

Just the tip of the front sight blade lost the finish. Re-blued it and looks fine. Yes the brazing rod looks like a gold bead when sighting. I suspect soft solder would hold as the mass of the short rod is very low. However bumping the rod may knock is loose far easier than if silver solder is used. 1/6" was what I needed to get my desired sight picture/POI.

tobie

Bearcat
If this situation is common- and it appears that it is- why doesn't Ruger just make the front sight a bit taller? I've written them several times but never gotten a reply. What I suggested is to make the blued front sight the same as the stainless models. I'm not a new shooter- I shot on our state team for years- it's not a "grip" situation, the front sight is just too short on the guns that I own. I spent a good chunk of change to get the front blade milled off and a slot cut for a replacement blade. My feeling is that you shouldn't have to experiment to get the gun to shoot within the rear sight's range of adjustment. You don't have to do it with S&W or colts.

greystonedog

Bearcat
Have had this problem with 45 LC Blackhawk old model. Shaving rear site to max gives only 2" drop, 180 gr vs 240gr bullet gives 2" drop. I sold the gun and bought a SS model with pinned front site blade, bought a high front blade from Midway. The SS gun shot dead on and I returned the site blade to Midway. I was told that this happens with many Ruger Blackhawk models in 44 and 45.

Jimbo357mag said:
You are loading H-110 in a 44 special. That right there tells me you are either overloading the cartridge or using the powder the wrong way. Have you tried shooting SAAMI 44 special loads or factory loads for accuracy? :D

I've tried H110 in 44spl, didn't say it was my everyday load. When experimenting to find a fix, I run the gamut and load according to printed recommendations and my own 40+ years of reloading experience. I find 18 to 18.5 gr H110 to group nicely and very manageable, however it is not one that I shoot a lot of and consider a +P load not recommended for other brands.

Thanks for the many replies and suggestions. I may try a slightly taller partridge style front sight. I do not want to drop the rear sight notch as a first fix, I find that makes it harder to sight in. As stated I prefer a dead on hold, especially for defensive use handguns. Target shooting I use the 6 o'clock hold. As to address the limp wrist syndrome. I an use to shooting heavy loaded magnum loads, and have a rock solid firm grip with no flinch. That isn't the problem. The high grouping occurs on sandbags or modified Isosceles stance, which is my preferred style. Trust me, it's the gun.
My main purpose of the post was to see if others with the same model have experienced the same issue and how they resolved it.
Jim H.

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
My preferred method of fix for this problem is to raise th front sight with JB Weld painted black

And for the record I have encountered this problem with my 7.5 SBH and my 4&5/8 Blackhawk in .45 Long Colt. I have not encountered it in either of my .41 Mag one each old model and new.

Latest posts