Seville is supposed to be Ruger Blackhawk high-end? Locked?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Prescut

Single-Sixer
I got a new to me Seville 44 mag with 10" barrel. It is marked
Sporting Arms, Inc, Tucson, AZ
S/N Martin - Gamburg 5-17-xx (what is that SN???)

In excellent condition and I paid $350. Used for silhouette shooting in 80's like the Ruger Maximum.

You Ruger gurus must know about this thing. I read they paid for the patent from Ruger. (so this is not sacrilegious on a Ruger site).
Hey Coogs, I read your post on Seville.

Now the biggy. I pulled the cylinder rod out and now can not get it all the way in. probably short about a quarter of an inch. The gun is locked. I can pull the cylinder out and the gun functions perfectly.
What's up?

Prescut
Update: I discovered I can not even start the cylinder rod in without closing the loading gate. I got a call this morning on this and I had to put the hammer all the way down and the gate closed to get the cylinder and pawl in the correct position. I then was able to put the hammer in half cock and wiggle the cylinder into position. The pin slid all the way in and it works perfectly. Very tricky.

Are there any Seville web sites? or schematics? Ruger parts?

Coogs

Maximum
The "ended up" paying for the patents. there was litigation involved. Part of the settlement involved was a label on the inside of every Seville box that said something to the effect of "pursuant to Ruger patent numbers..............................." By the way, at 350 ya stole it, JMHO, Coogs

tuner

Bearcat
I believe John Linebaugh has done some conversion work on these SA's; you might want to contact him and he might be able to provide you some important information.

Coogs

Maximum
Get a hold of Lee Martin over at singleactionsproboards.com. He owns more Sevilles than I do Maxi's. Trust me that's a lot. Coogs.

Prescut

Single-Sixer
All great suggestions! I'm now a member on singleactions.com. I will try John Linebaugh.

Hey Coogs, I have a PM to Lee Martin, who has a seville forum. Always nice to see your moniker go by.
Prescut

MaxP

Buckeye
Prescut said:
All great suggestions! I'm now a member on singleactions.com. I will try John Linebaugh.

Hey Coogs, I have a PM to Lee Martin, who has a seville forum. Always nice to see your moniker go by.
Prescut

It's not a Seville forum, but rather a forum dedicated to all things single-action revolver related. Lee, the site owner, just happens to be what I consider the foremost expert on all things Seville.

k22fan

Blackhawk
My poor, lonely .375 is neglected to the point of never having been fed. Would Lee know how long before it deteriorates into metal dust, slime mold or something worse? Some where there has to be an affordable die set for it. Hopefully .375 Winny brass will still be available when I find one.

I think 'coogs' may recall, but as I remember it our friend Jeff M. used to be legal counsel for Seville or US Sporting arms or one of them way back when, and recall his friend Doc had something to do with them also, wow, this goes back a long time, and yes, you obviously solved the proper sequence of reinstalling the center pin....good luck, great shooter, built like a brick out house,............just never caught on locally

t-reg

Single-Sixer
I remember passing up a Seville at a gun show 25 (+/-) years ago thinking it must be a POS because the price was a fraction of what BH's were going for.................

Prescut

Single-Sixer
I have now had a chance to go over the Seville. This may be one of the finest pieces I have ever had a chance to handle. The B/C gap is .001 without any wear on any of the cylinder faces. Locks up as tight as I have ever seen. The single action pull is under 2 lbs. and perfect.
It looks almost unfired.

I don't know what I've done to deserve this outstanding piece at such a giveaway price. I guess nobody has caught me at anything lately. I feel like I need to keep paying this off by helping the next shooter. I had no idea, at the time, what I was buying for what price. Going with your gut sometimes pays off I guess.

It was also a strange buy for me as I have never liked the recoil of the 44 Mag and thought it was one step too far for most of us. I've been a 357 Magnum guy forever and I have been trying to move down to 38 special in my volume shooting. That opinion and process has now changed.

I shot 44 Mag in the 10" Seville with gloves (weight lifter set) and found it not uncontrollable (30 rounds). Notice I didn't say pleasant. The gloves have the most padding of any sold and are without finger tips. I got a size over, where they are loose, and they worked perfect.

I then shot 44 Special and feel in love. What a spectacular caliber! I popped off 50 rounds before I could turn around. It shot flat out to 75 yards with great accuracy. The downside to the 44 spl is the cost. It costs more than the 44Magnum in the same manufacturer. It's not like that in any other caliber. Is the 44 Special just so little volume that the prices are high?

What strange twists in the path we encounter as we proceed down life's road. This is one hell of a detour.

Prescut

Prescut

Single-Sixer
anybody know of inexpensive 44 special? send me a PM as it will be gone before I get there.
More expensive than 44 mag?

chet15

Hawkeye
Prescut said:

PM sent. The email address I sent to you is for a person who was heavily involved in one of the generations of United Sporting Arms. He may be able to tell you something about that serial number.
Chet15

Prescut

Single-Sixer
hey chet,
thanks for the email on Jeff.
I contacted him and just got back his reply. Unfortunately, he said his group purchased everything from Sporting Arms and the records they got were not in good condition. No way of knowing anything about that Serial Number.
Lately, I have become convinced that Martin-Gumburg 3-13-35 is the name of a customer/friend and that is their birthdate.
Prescut

MaxP

Buckeye
chet15 said:
Prescut said:

PM sent. The email address I sent to you is for a person who was heavily involved in one of the generations of United Sporting Arms. He may be able to tell you something about that serial number.
Chet15

Did you contact Lee Martin by chance?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Prescut said:
I then shot 44 Special and feel in love. What a spectacular caliber! I popped off 50 rounds before I could turn around. It shot flat out to 75 yards with great accuracy. The downside to the 44 spl is the cost. It costs more than the 44Magnum in the same manufacturer. It's not like that in any other caliber. Is the 44 Special just so little volume that the prices are high?
Prescut

Most of us old enough waited about 60 years for the Ruger mid size frame 44 Spl. There was a lot of pent up demand. It was only made as a distributor exclusive at first, but the demand cause Ruger to make it regular production. Still not as popular as the standards, 357, 45 and 44 mag because so many have still not 'discovered' it yet, so production is on and off. So yes, lower volume and less certain availability, maybe a little scalping thrown in as well, therefore a little pricey. They do sell used for less if you look.

Prescut

Single-Sixer
hey MaxP
I was writing the post while you were writing your question

Prescut

Not much more information.

Birth: 1935
Death: 1997

Burial:
East Lawn Palms Cemetery & Mortuary
Tucson
Pima County