Two Ruger Blackhawk questions.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
I was going thru my spare parts box for Ruger Single action revolvers to make sure I have any part I may need in the future. I removed the plastic covers on five new cylinder base pins for Blackhawks so they fit in the box better. I just happened to have a 9mm Blackhawk cylinder next to me. I took each of the new base pins and inserted them in the cylinder. Four out of the five fit perfectly, one did not. Did Ruger make a oversize base pin ? If so, was it for in house use only or maybe something they sold to gunsmiths ? -----Second question. I noticed none of my new recoil shields / firing pin cups have a groove for a cross pin ? Does Ruger not pin this part in the frame anymore ? Are they now just a press fit ? Does Ruger just use loctite on them ? All these parts were bought from Brownell's or Midway.

CHEVYINLINE6.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
I would imagine the groove on the recoil plate is cut after the part is installed but before it is pinned to ensure a seamless fit with no play. I'd guess the only ones you'd find that are already grooved came out of another gun.
Mine were all bought new. I don't normally buy use parts unless there is no other way to get them. I have no grooved ones.

CHEVYINLINE6.

contender

Ruger Guru
Occasionally you can get a pin that's either tight or sloppy in a cylinder. Belt Mtn base pins have been providing slightly oversized base pins for about 20 years to assist in tightening up some of the cylinder play. I'd say you may just have a pin a little oversized & nothing to be overly bothered with.

And if you read NikA's response,, NEW bushings most likely are grooved AFTER they are installed. So you have new ones. I have a few new ones myself, and none have any grooves.

Latest posts