SD round for LC9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cromagnum

Bearcat
Hi all, I'm a newbie, and just bought an LC9 for carry. I have my CCL already. I haven't even fired the gun yet, but I'm not sure whether to use +P ammo, or stick with standard pressure 9mm. I know the instructions say limited use of +P is okay, but maybe standard Gold Dots or something of that type would be better long term on the gun. Also, is short barrel ammo better yet? Just wondering what others think. Thanks

Bolohead

Bearcat
Any one of these is a good SD round as noted from GunBlast Report

I personally carry the Cor-Bon +P DPX 115gr, its a bit on the spendy side but has excellent spreading and penetration for an all copper hollowpoint bullet.

WCC NATO FMJ 124gr 1085
Buffalo Bore +P JHP 115gr 1406
Buffalo Bore +P JHP 147gr 1111
Cor-Bon Pow'RBall 100gr 1508
Cor-Bon +P DPX 115gr 1224
Stryker JHP 115gr 1032
International Cartridge FP 100gr 1171
Extreme Shock EPR 115gr 1228

cruzerlou

Buckeye
I'll add Georgia Arms new Mafn.124gr +p Speer Bonded Unicore H.P.'s at 1200 F.P.S. .They open up to. 600ths of an inch or better and penatrate
13"'s in balstics gell and sell for $23.50 for a 50 round pack and $46.50 for a 100 rd pack . They feed like butter in my Waither PPS 9 MM and my glock 19 I had and my buddies P-95.I also use the same ammo in my glock 22 .40 S&W duty gun a 180gr +p at 1050 F.P.S. and there .45 ACP 230gr +p at 850 F.P.S.in my Kimber T.L.E. II and the ammo is VERY accurate in all my guns.

Right now they offer free shiping for orders of $ 100.00 or more.
Buying bulk at this price is way cheaper than a 20 rd box of brand x ammo at the gunstore for $30.00 and preformance wise it's every bit as good as anything out there .

Heres there web sight www.georgia-arms.com .Just go there and click on manufacture,[scroll down to Georgia Arms] then click on ammo, then click on handguns ,then click on slecet by caliber,then click on 9 MM and scroll through to the page 2 and it's half way down the page .I carry the glock on duty and the Walther as my backuo gun and my Kimber .45 T.L.E. II as my off duty gun with the Walther as my backup gun then to that too .I trust my life to these guns and ammo, the ammo's worth a look.

Lou

Boge

Single-Sixer
Remember, the barrel is short so many normal 9mm HP's won't expand. Use the Speer Short barrel load or better yet the new Corbon 95. gr. DPX made expressly for short barrels. :wink:

Dan Frontier

Bearcat
Boge said:
Remember, the barrel is short so many normal 9mm HP's won't expand. Use the Speer Short barrel load or better yet the new Corbon 95. gr. DPX made expressly for short barrels. :wink:

I had the guy at my local gun store advise me to get a short barrel round just for that reason - some won't expand well from such a short barrel.

I ended up getting a box of Gold Dot short barrell +P 124 grain jhp's.

cruzerlou

Buckeye
The G.A 124gr+P Sreer Bonded Uincore are designed to expand from short bbl 's and have low muzzle flash and between the 4.5" bbl of the glock 19 and the 3.2" bbl of the Walther the loss of speed is around 55 F.P.S..It's great round for fullsized or sub compacts .As to the Hornaday C.D. round not a thing wrong with it and it may feed in a pictular gun that is finickry ,but I've feed the G.A .'s ammo through lots of diffrent guns w/o problem .As far as expansion goes the Speer will do anything the C.D will do at 1/3 the price .
Lou

Stimo3

Single-Sixer
cromagnum said:
Hi all, I'm a newbie, and just bought an LC9 for carry. I have my CCL already. I haven't even fired the gun yet, but I'm not sure whether to use +P ammo, or stick with standard pressure 9mm. I know the instructions say limited use of +P is okay, but maybe standard Gold Dots or something of that type would be better long term on the gun. Also, is short barrel ammo better yet? Just wondering what others think. Thanks

First off welcome! Second, i wouldn't even think of carrying this gun as your CCW gun until you have become proficient at shooting it, as it's much different to shoot than any other handgun i've shot. My first ~80 rounds through it at just 10yds. i was shooting at a silhouette, and the target looked like i shot it with a couple rounds of 00 buckshot. I was actually disappointed a bit at first as i thought the gun would be a BIT more accurate than that.

I only had ~40 rounds left and i was with a buddy so i let him shoot up some of his rounds while i loaded in a A-Zoom snap cap and practiced dry-firing at a new target. I noticed that every trigger pull i was jerking the crap out of the gun. I noticed that since the trigger breaks so far back and it's such a long pull, that if i put a bit more finger on the trigger (to the joint about) and grabbed lower on the trigger just a bit, it really improved the jerking, and occasionally i wouldn't jerk at all.

I sho those last 40 rounds at the same distance (10yds) and i was shooting ~5in groupings! Made me feel much better about my purchase, and made me realize i needed some practice if i wanted to get good with it, and be proficient enough to carry it as a primary weapon.

~1200 rounds later and ~2500 dry-fires and i'm shooting ~2 1/2in. groupings at 10yds, ~4in. groupings at ~30yds, and doing double taps @ ~25yds im shooting ~7in. groupings! IMO that's damn accurate for a 3in. barreled gun!

As for self-defense ammunition, i love doing ballistic testing. Although this is not the most scientific media to test on, (water jugs and also books, yes books ;) ) it still gives you a pretty good idea of how each round will perform. Out of a short barreled gun, picking your SD ammunition is key IMO, and as others have stated you want to go with a +P ammunition, even though the manual says not to feed a "steady diet" of it, for SD that's all you want to use as it's not a "steady diet" because they'll only be used in SD basically (except for testing them out, and for that you only need to put a box of at least 50 through the gun to make sure they cycle perfectly., which isn't much). At the range just use regular 115gr. FMJ's if you use 124gr +P's as you SD ammo, but if you're shooting 147gr. +P's as your SD round use 124gr. FMJ's at the range to practice with, as this will help compensate for bullet drop a bit between different loads and weights of bullets.

I personally for the LC9 prefer to use 147gr. +P Federal HST's for SD in the house as they have great expansion and no shot is longer than ~20yds, so bullet drop won't be a factor with the heavy round in the house really. For when im out and about, i prefer a bit faster, lighter round, the 124gr. +P Winchester Ranger T-series. They don't expand QUITE as much as the HST's (by a couple thousandths of an inch), but it's a faster, lighter bullet and it deploys RAZOR SHARP TALONS when the bullet expands. The HST's have great expansion, but they just don't look like they'd do as much internal damage to the body because of the shape of the bullet after it has mushroomed.

If i had to pick 1 SD round, it'd be the 124gr. +P Winchester Ranger T-series. They expand more consistently (HST's get plugged occasionally, especially if you put a lot of denim in front of the jug) and just to me, looks like it'll do more damage internally than any other bullet i've seen.

I don't however use my LC9 as my primary carry weapon except now durning summertime, and i sure dont use it EVER as my primary SD weapon at home, i leave that to my FNP-40, so i was just giving you my opinion on a good SD round for homes as if you miss you dont want it to over penetrate and since they expand so well they'll dump energy quicker if you happen to miss and hit something else, its not going to keep going like a FMJ or other rounds would, and it's all short distance, close shooting so bullet drop doesnt matter, and when you hit the BG you want to make sure you put him down, and IMO the heaviest round possible that expands the most is going to do that for you, and that round is the 147gr. +P HST. However if you were to be doing any shooting farther than that (which is rare i will admit, only time that'll happen is if someone else had a gun too and was firing at range at you, then those 147gr. bullets woudnt be the best idea since theyre so heavy and arent moving very fast, they're going to drop a lot more than those 124gr. +P's will, which is why that's what i mainly carry.

To be honest though all modern JHP's are going to do the job, what i suggest is pick up a couple boxes of differnt types of SD ammunition, try them out and see what YOU like best. See what's most accurate for you, etc. That's the SD round you're going to want as if you can't hit your target it doesnt matter how well the bullet will expand ;) Sorry for the long response i always do this and get side tracked with other thoughts, but hopefully this helps you out a bit in your choice. BTW Speer Gold Dots are my 4th favorite round, i like the ranger Bonded rounds too.

Big Stu

Single-Sixer
I remember reading that the LC9 should not be fed a diet of +p ammo. The ammo that I would personally reccommend is Speer gold dot JHP short barrel. It has a powder designed to reduce muzzle flash and burn faster so as to give the full power to the bullet even from a short bbl. I also like Hornady critical defense. It is a high quality round designed to penetrate through heavy clothing without clogging the hollow point.

RugerP93

Bearcat
I get to pick up mine this Sunday. I have been trying to fnd the best SD round also. I have read in other forums that with current bullet technology, they will expand out of barrels shorter than 4". I plan on using what I have in my other guns, 147 HST's. I believe I came across some tests that were done by someone which showed reasonable expansion of them. DOn't hold me to it. They weren't done in the lab.

Boge

Single-Sixer
Anyone basing CCW ammo usage on shooting water jugs, phone books, etc. is a fool. :roll:

The Federal 147 gr. HST is made for SERVICE guns of 4" or better. Unless you have at least seen tests done on ballistic gel under controlled conditions or know of several CONFIRMED shootings then you are whistling in the dark. I would recommend the Fed. 124 gr. +p HST before 147 gr. in a short barrel. DPX is far better as well as Powerball.

I have no idea what the "floor" is on 9mm HST but it is circa. 725 fps for .45 when I last talked to an engineer at Federal.

Stimo3

Single-Sixer
Big Stu: It specifically says to not feed a "STEADY" diet of +P ammunition in the owners manual, meaning you CAN shoot it occasionally it'll just wear parts out faster. In a SD situation i'm not worried about my gun wearing out faster, i'm worried about dropping the BG before he can really hurt me/kill me. For short barreled guns such as the LC9, +P ammunition is IDEAL for SD ammunition.

Honestly any modern JHP will do the job, any FMJ will do the job, just have to place your shots better, or put a couple more down range. People get too caught up on how a JHP expands, what it expands to, etc. I thinks it's VERY interesting, however any bullet hitting a human is going to put them down if you hit them in a vital area plain and simple. JHP's just make it easier since they expand more and do more internal damage to a BG.

I always suggest to pick the ammunition that fires best out of your gun and FOR YOU. Whatever you shoot best, and whatever feels best to you, use it as all modern rounds these days are going to go "boom" basically, unless you're really cheap and buy Blazer steel casing ammunition ;) Obviously for SD go with a JHP, what grain round depends on you and what feels best, buy a couple differnt types of SD +P ammunition, shoot some of each and see which one shoots/feels best to you and stick with it as long as it functions in your gun without problems.

Stimo3

Single-Sixer
Big Stu said:
I remember reading that the LC9 should not be fed a diet of +p ammo. The ammo that I would personally reccommend is Speer gold dot JHP short barrel. It has a powder designed to reduce muzzle flash and burn faster so as to give the full power to the bullet even from a short bbl. I also like Hornady critical defense. It is a high quality round designed to penetrate through heavy clothing without clogging the hollow point.

And BTW usually "short barreled" ammunition that has a faster burning powder is +P ;), that's exactly what +P is, it's faster burning powder so all the energy gets used, causing more velocity and less muzzle flash, sounds like you are talking about +P ammo. Wouldnt be surprised if the rounds you're talking about are basically a +P round if it says "short barrel" specifically on it.

EDIT: Just did some searching and ALL the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 9mm ammunition IS +P, look on the side of your box and read below where it says short barrel, you'll see a +P in there ;) I literally searched the internet for a NON +P short barreled (9mm round, put in parenthesis so cheesewiz doesnt have a cow over me editing my post to be clear enough for him to understand) round by gold dot and they dont exist from what i found, "short barrel" is +P just FYI. Again don't worry about shooting it as you CAN shoot +P ammunition out of the LC9, just says not to use a "steady diet" of it. It doesn't say "do not use +P ammunition," however it does say that about +P+ ammunition and NOT to ever use +P+.

EDIT: After doing more research i wouldnt recommend using "short barrel +P ammunition," it has the same velocity s +P+ rounds and the manual specifically says not to use +P+, so use it at your own risk obviously..

Boge

Single-Sixer
Stimo3 said:
...any bullet hitting a human is going to put them down if you hit them in a vital area plain and simple...

Total BS. I hope you never have to test your theory because you are in a for a surprise. One that may get you killed. Go talk to people who have actually had to shoot someone and not Internet BS. Most people don't want to die and are liable to demonstrate as such when you shoot them. Oh, and they'll probably be shooting back while you're waiting for them to keel over from a magic bullet. :wink:

I know of one incident where a bad guy was hit TWENTY ONE times with Win. Ranger 230 gr. HP's and was reloading when he died. No drugs or alcohol in his system. Always expect the worst because it will eventually occur.

cromagnum

Bearcat
Thanks to all for the replys. I appreciate the advice, and the debates! I think the +p , or short barrel, is the way to go. I will be doing alot of shooting with the gun before it becomes edc. Thanks all again.

Stimo3

Single-Sixer
Boge said:
Stimo3 said:
...any bullet hitting a human is going to put them down if you hit them in a vital area plain and simple...

Total BS. I hope you never have to test your theory because you are in a for a surprise. One that may get you killed. Go talk to people who have actually had to shoot someone and not Internet BS. Most people don't want to die and are liable to demonstrate as such when you shoot them. Oh, and they'll probably be shooting back while you're waiting for them to keel over from a magic bullet. :wink:

I know of one incident where a bad guy was hit TWENTY ONE times with Win. Ranger 230 gr. HP's and was reloading when he died. No drugs or alcohol in his system. Always expect the worst because it will eventually occur.

Noticed i said VITAL AREA, meaning center mass head shot or a shot directly through the heart, a VITAL AREA not "shot all over 21 times" :lol: .. Sorry this isn't theory this is going off of proven facts. Trust me i'm 27 and have numerous friends that have done 2/3 tours in afghanistan and iraq, they've shot more people than you know and they said the same thing. I think i'll take their word over yours since they have real world experience killing people, and ones hyped up on pure adrenaline, they said to take them down you had to shoot them in the heart or head, otherwise they wouldnt go down.

A Center mass head shot is an INSTANT kill, the guy can't even pull the trigger on his gun, all muscles relax and he falls to the ground like a pile of junk. If you don't believe me go look it up, sorry but either you mis-read what i wrote, or you're wrong.

One of my friends is a SWAT sniper and ive talked to him numerous times obviously, they're trained when a BG has a gun to a persons head and they're given the "okay" to take the shot, it has to be a head shot so he can't pull the trigger on a reflex action or from tensing up, etc. As soon as you're shot center mass in the face ALL muscles throughout the body relax and a trigger pull isnt even possible.[/u]

Big Stu

Single-Sixer
Unfortunately for arguments sake you are talking about the impact of a high power rifle shot compared to a pistol. That is like apples and oranges. The rifle shot has so much more energy at impact that it will instantly do the job. The energy from a hangun, especially a .380 or a 9mm is considerably less effective. They can do the job, but it may take more than one well placed shot to shut the bad guy off like a switch.