S&W K Frame verses Ruger 357 CC gun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
The SP101 is too big and heavy for pocket carry for me . It is 6 ozs heavier unloaded then my 642 S&W is loaded .

IMG_0003-2.jpg

When I need more fire power

SP10127.jpg

weemsf

Single-Sixer
The Ruger SP101 trigger can be made much better than 10# double action pull. For a,carry piece, the Ruger Speed Six is a nice gun. I have one and the trigger is excellent. Heavier than a J-frame for sure but very durable.

GhosT

Blackhawk
A fun thread.

"Looking to buy a Med. frame CC gun. My options are a S&W model 19 or 66 against a Ruger med frame .357. I am a Smith guy but the Ruger looks tempting. "

The K FRAME .357s...a total favorite design.
Thanks SKEETER!
But it was built for .38 special loads.

Back in the day(when it came out),
ALL THE GUN RAG EXPERTS even said......
When at the range, use .38 specials for practice(50 to 100 rounds),THEN...

End the practice with 2-3 cylinders of the .357 rounds ya want to carry in it.

Long ago it was established full powered .357's only will shake the parts loose.

Ohhh, I think both the Model 19 and 66 kicks ass.....!
But everybody knows...a fragile design ,if only use .357 magnums.

The SW L FRAMES are cool,owned a 586 4" model.
Accurate and WAY MORE RUGGED than the K-FRAME.

L-FRAME and the GP100 are as close as yer gonna get.

My 6'2" 210 lb. frame could conceal either.
But honestly, a smaller gun would work better.
Check out the SP101's for concealed carry...(FOR A START), I never even note mine on the hip.

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
Tx gun runner said:
The SP101 is too big and heavy for pocket carry for me . It is 6 ozs heavier unloaded then my 642 S&W is loaded .

IMG_0003-2.jpg

When I need more fire power

SP10127.jpg

I very much appreciate your comparison of the Glock 27 to the Ruger SP101 and S&W 642, because I had much the same debate but came down on the side of the revolver. Why?

The differences in the role of the handgun for civilian CCW versus law enforcement are key. The most important feature for the civilian is the total absence of accidental discharge. The Glock requires special holsters to prevent accidental discharge due to the light trigger; the DAO revolver is less demanding in the holster department. A law enforcement officer has more latitude in that his weapon is not required by law to be concealed at all times as is a CCW licensee. This makes a huge difference in mode of carry and holster selection. The next difference is that a LEO is interntionally going into situations which could require lots of firepower, whereas the civilian is required by law to avoid such situations if possible. The civilian is more likely to be engaged in s surprise extreme close quarters situation, where trigger control is an extreme virtue. Under surprise and extreme stress, a semi auto with a light trigger is more lkely to be fired than a revolver. To me the Glock is an acceptable weapon with a heavy NYC trigger installed.

All things being equal, the Glock 27 is similar in size to a S&W 642, fires a much more powerful round and is much easier to shoot. Its one and only drawback is that it is much easier to accidently discharge than a revolver. For law enforcement purposes, I would choose the Glock every time. For CCW, I choose the revolver, because at extreme close quarters the snubby revolver is the best weapon for the purpose.

Ladobe

Single-Sixer
When I decided to move to Las Vegas in '98 I picked up a couple of new CCW's beforehand. Wanted something smaller and lighter to carry in the lighter clothes worn here year round. Went with a Taurus 606 2" ported 357MAG and a KelTec P11 9mm. Regardless of anything negative that's been said about either model since, they were both very well made (back then at least), reliable, accurate, easy to shoot and easy to conceal. I went with SOB holsters for both that were comfortable for all day carry (even in a vehicle) and easy to conceal with what became my standrd year round attire here - golf/T shirts and shorts.

However, it wasn't long until I did not feel the need to carry here and eventually stopped doing so. I simply avoid the few well known drug/gangbanger areas in the valley. Add that this county is very pro gun, a tribute to the boss of all LE entities here, the County Sheriff, and the Mayor (even non resident visitors can get a Nevada CCW). Fully loaded firearms can legally be carried in a vehicle in this county (even out of sight) as long as not concealed on your person if you don't have a CCW. So most of our LEO's are very tolerate if you are pulled over and you advise them up front (just like when wearing a CCW) what you have/where it is and ask them what they want you to do. Most just say thanks for letting them know and go on with their business. Some (esp if you come across as a drunk/drug crazed wildman or gangbanger) may ask you to get out of the vehicle while they finish their business with you and may want to see it and run its serial number, but by respecting their safety they also respect you. FWIW

t606.jpg

ktp11.jpg

weemsf

Single-Sixer
I have a Taurus 709 Slim in 9MM for my wife. I shot it to make sure it was reliable. Had to go back to the factory for some repair and they simply rebuilt it. Did more than necessary, IMO. It is accurate, has double strike capability, which most pocket guns don't, it packs sufficient punch with the 9MM cartridge.

These short barreled guns give up a lot. A 38 Special from a 2" is significantly less powerful than from a 4". Shooting a 357 Magnum in a 2" configuration is futile IMO. Better off with a 38 Special +P. I wonder how much the 40 loses from the G22/23 platforms down to the 27?

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
And, for those comparing: For the same size and bulk as a 3" K-Smith, you can have a Colt Commander, with 8 rounds of .45ACP:

LWCommM66.jpg

tjtoolbox

Bearcat
Thanks Ruger Forum for all of your Info_One more question.
Is the Ruger SP 101 about the same size as a S&W model 66/K frame?
I have a J frame Smith in .38 special but I want a larger caliber for CC and smaller than my M-28 N frame.
Thanks Again, Joe.

Triggernosis

Single-Sixer
Joe, the SP101 is about halfway between a J-frame and a K-frame, more towards the J-frame in size and the K-frame in weight.

tjtoolbox

Bearcat
Thanks Tom for your Info., hard to tell sizes from one revolver to another in different makers.
Joe

Triggernosis said:
Joe, the SP101 is about halfway between a J-frame and a K-frame, more towards the J-frame in size and the K-frame in weight.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I have several of each and my favorite by far is the sp101. They are little tanks. I don't think I could ever wear one out shooting it. In my opinion the smiths aren't even in the running for quality or fit and finish. I used to think smith's were fine guns but after getting started into the rugers they are tops in my book for a everyday gun to use and enjoy. Most people carry a concealed weapon and rarely ever shoot it with a ruger you can do both a lot without any worries.

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
surveyor47 said:
The Glock requires special holsters to prevent accidental discharge due to the light trigger; the DAO revolver is less demanding in the holster

All things being equal, the Glock 27 is similar in size to a S&W 642, fires a much more powerful round and is much easier to shoot. Its one and only drawback is that it is much easier to accidently discharge than a revolver.

I have 4 different holsters for my Glock which has a 3.5 lbs on it . I have many hours with each holster trying to make it accidently discharge . The only way it would fire was to put my finger in trigger opening and pull it . I tried jamming stuff in trigger opening and jam the gun in holster . It will not fire

Picture1278.jpg

3040krag

Bearcat
My old Model 19 has been pretty well rebuilt twice and now is semi-retired. When I get the urge to tote a 4" K size gun, I lug an old Security Six with a rounded butt, spurless hammer, and slicked up action.

011.jpg

FotoTomas

Bearcat
I still pack a revolver often enough on my hip to feel very comfortable with it. Mine is a 4" Model 19 Combat Magnum. The S&W Model 65 3" round butt revolver was a favorite as well. I also am a fan of the Ruger Speed Six in 3" length and the Ruger Security Six in 4". I wish I had all of them BUT money and other issues limit me to the Model 19 and a J frame model 638.

Being a S&W fan and a "K" frame lover the M19 gets my vote. The Ruger Speed or Security Six would be my Ruger choice. The 101 is limited to 5 rounds in .357. For me that would not be a primary belt gun and for me is a bit heavy for the pocket or ankle. They are built like a tank and would make a fine hiking pistol.

rich642z

Single-Sixer
I carry a 5 shot 2.25 inch SP101 in .357 all the time,all 4 seasons with no weight problem at all with a owb Don Hume H720bopen top.

HiCap

Bearcat
Meeko, I'm about to get a Talo 3" GP100 and wonder where to get an IWB holster for it as you have recommended.

HiCap

JumpmasterC

Single-Sixer
Some don't care for the extra weight of the SP-101.... I gotta differ. The little extra weight is a subtle reminder that it is there, at ready....

& if the situation doesn't call for the lethality of 135 grain projectiles....it can wielded as quite a formidable club/pistol whip! :wink:

tjtoolbox

Bearcat
JumpmasterC said:
Some don't care for the extra weight of the SP-101.... I gotta differ. The little extra weight is a subtle reminder that it is there, at ready....

& if the situation doesn't call for the lethality of 135 grain projectiles....it can wielded as quite a formidable club/pistol whip! :wink:

tjtoolbox
Just some follow up. I did purchase a SP 101 and took it to the range and put it through my test and It will now be my carry gun.
I like it much better than my J frame S&W for carry, it is a bit heaver but that is OK. I like the feel of it better than a S&W K Frame. I still am a S&W guy , but who say's you can't be both.
Thanks for your input.
Joe