Ruger SR22 as EDC??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

M3Stuart

Bearcat
Gentlemen (and Ladies),

Let's all take a deep breath. Some people feel perfectly comfortable carrying a .22 for their CCW. If the OP (or his wife, etc) wants to carry their SR22P for their CCW - then I think that's great.

IMHO: People carrying CCW tend to either gravitate upward or downward in caliber based on their comfort level - both with their gun and based on the neighborhood/perceived risk level. IMHO: if somebody starts with a .22, they can only gravitate upward. If they start with a .44 Mag, they're likely to gravitate downward. People change over time. The guns they CCW change over time.

If I were carrying my SR22P instead of one of my Bobcats, I would carry Stingers in it because they cycle (both guns) at 100% based on my extensive practice with them. I can also hit what I'm shooting at out to 30 feet within a few inches pretty much every time.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
It doesn't look like anyone is getting all fired up. If I came across like that it wasn't intended. I'm unfamiliar with a Bobcat but it must be a .22 handgun, so you carry a .22 for protection. Can you explain the advantage of the .22 round for self defense? If it's simply the size of the weapon I see .380s and 9mms in the gun case as small or smaller than the SR22.

Using Velocitors or Stingers seems like freely admitting the round is too weak and you're trying to get that last ft/lb of energy with maxed out ammo.

Could someone explain why they're comfortable with a .22 for self defense when it defies all current self defense training? (At least I haven't found a respected source that approves of the .22 as a primary SD pistol, if you know of one please share a link)

Edit to add: If your wife/girlfriend is recoil sensitive then a .22 is better than nothing but otherwise...I don't get it.

steelhawk

Bearcat
I don't know what all the people are using it for, but I sell a lot of SR22 holsters.

My mother has a 9mm (P89) but no longer has the hand strength to operate it. She is now looking for another gun. In August, I am going to see how she handles a smaller revolver like the LCR, or Pink Lady. I'll let her shoot the SR22. I will, of course try to steer her to the largest caliber she can use.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
ArmedinAZ said:
Could someone explain why they're comfortable with a .22 for self defense when it defies all current self defense training? (At least I haven't found a respected source that approves of the .22 as a primary SD pistol, if you know of one please share a link)

Because, it can generally be used more accurately. And because studies have show that most people don't like to be shot, even with a 22LR. Personally, I don't carry a 22LR, but I don't worry what the current paradigm is in self defense training. The fact that it's current indicates that it has and will change. I say carry what you are comfortable with and shoot well.

Stoots

Buckeye
louiethelump said:
The SR22 gives better ballistics than the LCR due to the longer barrel. and the 3 extra rounds and a second magazine very easy to carry and reload. I like Velocitors for carry and find they give the same or better velocity than stingers in a handgun and they use a full 40 grain bullet. I have never had reliability issues with 22 autos that work well, and that usually means a little bigger gun than a Beretta 21 and the SR22 fits right in there. I don't hesitate to use a 22 as EDC as I believe the chance of me coming into a den of muggers, illegal bikers, or PCP drugged crazies with my rather mundane live style is rather unlikely, and a "road rager" is more likely. For that, "a gun" is what matters and not so much the power of it.

I see the SR22 as 3 "triple taps" with a couple of rounds left over. Three rapid fired rounds of 22lr is very easy to do with the handy little SR22, and mine is accurate and reliable.

At times I go about with nothing by a NAA mini in a pocket, and I see the SR22 as a dramatic step up from that. Of course if I lived the life of many posters on gun discussion boards, and went into dark alleys, biker bars, drug dealing areas and ghettos of cities large and small, I would feel differently. MY first line of personal defense is common sense, the avoidance of trouble, and of NOT going into trouble areas and avoiding the local watering holes that are referred to here in the south as "knife and gun clubs". I also don't respond to instigation on the road or elsewhere and go on about my business.

I am 59 years old and survived 28 years of police work (not the desk type, but the in a police car responding to calls type) in a very congested county of a million or so people in Florida where everyone is armed by going by the above guidelines.

A well made 22 auto pistol does quite nicely for me.

Lots of good advice here.

A few years ago I worked with an older fella named Jerry. He was 63 years old. One day, a bunch of us got into the usual workplace late-afternoon caliber war. The discussion stemmed from a recent gang-related shooting. Jerry kept a Single Six in his truck that he had bought new in 1958. He used that gun for everything; to hunt, practice, plink, and carried it for self defense. Some of the other guys ribbed him a bit for not carrying 'enough gun'.

Anyway, a few months passed by and I was at a chicken stew at Jerry's house. I had gotten there early to shoot a bit with him on his property. The Single Six I mentioned above was with him, and he was shooting pennies and golf balls from about 60 feet with ease.

I know this is anectdotal, but there is a lesson here. Me? I'd rather face a couple gangbangers with their 'foh tays' and 'nines' held sideways than one determined, cool old man with a .22 he's had all his life.

:D

Stoots

Buckeye
Jayhawkhuntclub said:
ArmedinAZ said:

Because, it can generally be used more accurately. And because studies have show that most people don't like to be shot, even with a 22LR. Personally, I don't carry a 22LR, but I don't worry what the current paradigm is in self defense training. The fact that it's current indicates that it has and will change. I say carry what you are comfortable with and shoot well.

Agree.

Good post.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/surveil ... e-robbers/

The .380 didn't even slow them down. If the bad guy had a gun that worked and wanted to use it this could have turned out differently.

Stoots, if everyone carrying a .22 can shoot pennies at 60 feet maybe the .22 is OK. I don't know anyone who can hit pennies at 60 feet with any pistol. That's impressive.

hoghunter

Bearcat
Very timely post. Just sold our LCR .38 becuase my wife simply cannot handle any recoil whatsoever. Been strongly considering the Ruger SR22 or Walther P22 because something is better than nothing. Very frustrated that after we decide on a pistol it ends up getting unused. Only gun she enjoys shooting is the Buckmark .22 but it is way too long to even dream of carrying it.

M3Stuart

Bearcat
Since nobody is hyperventilating - as often happens anytime somebody suggests a .22 for CCW - we'll keep going here.

I think that shot placement is EVERYTHING in CCW. I can afford to practice hundreds and hundreds of rounds in any outing when I'm shooting .22. So I can practice 'point shooting' with a MkII, SR22 or Bobcat - A LOT. I know I can hit what I'm pointing, or aiming, at and the Bobcat (Beretta 21a in 22LR) fits in my pocket. So I'm cool with that. Over on the Beretta forum they will flame you horribly for suggesting this. Anything smaller than .40 is uncool over there.

Couple points, all are "IMHO":
* That guy in the blaze video must not have hit COM because those guys kept running. He needs to practice more - he had a clean shot at him from the back. I'd call that a 'can't miss' shot with my Bobcat - especially at that range.
* The cop who posted here deserves an award - that's one of the most rational postings on this topic I've ever read.
* If you can't shoot a gun and reliably hit the target every time then you shouldn't carry it - you're a hazard.
* If you don't like the recoil of the caliber, grip, etc of your gun - then you won't carry it. It'll be at home when you need it.

M3Stuart

Bearcat
I found this info over on another forum. This was a response in a similar thread. The point the gentleman was making is that a projectile needs to achieve something like 1,000 fps for a HP projectile to expand. In this, and other tests, the CCI stinger expands to approximately .41 cal and passes through three (3) gallon water jugs.

Note that this is from a 2" barrel, typically, results from a longer barrel - like the 3.5" SR22P being discussed, would be better (faster).

You be the judge:

Quote:
Twenty two wouldn't be my first choice but I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of multiple shots fired from one either. I would feel much more comfortable with the 317 snubbie than with no gun at all.

Here are some chron results that might be of interest:

2" Lady Smith Airlite 317-2 Chron Results – Temp 70 – 3 Paces from Muzzle (Approx 9'):

WW High Speed Hollow Point (100 Rnd Plastic Pack) 1,005 fps
WW High Speed Hollow Point (100 Rnd Plastic Pack) 941 fps
WW High Speed Hollow Point (100 Rnd Plastic Pack) 997 fps
WW High Speed Hollow Point (100 Rnd Plastic Pack) 973 fps
WW High Speed Hollow Point (100 Rnd Plastic Pack) 982 fps

CCI Mini Mag Hollow Points (100 Rnd Plastic Pack) 893 fps
CCI Mini Mag Hollow Points (100 Rnd Plastic Pack) 908 fps
CCI Mini Mag Hollow Points (100 Rnd Plastic Pack) 862 fps
CCI Mini Mag Hollow Points (100 Rnd Plastic Pack) 871 fps
CCI Mini Mag Hollow Points (100 Rnd Plastic Pack) 888 fps

CCI Stinger Hollow Points (50 Rnd Plastic Pack) 1,120 fps
CCI Stinger Hollow Points (50 Rnd Plastic Pack) 1,091 fps