Ruger SR22 as EDC??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pitandruger

Bearcat
A friend picked one of these up after he tried mine and liked the feel and fun of the plinker 22LR. He let his wife use it and now she wants to use it as her EDC. She refuses to use her .380 because she loves this little plinker so much. Does anyone or anyone's wife, girl friend, partner or significant other use it or other 22LR as an EDC (I know 22LR's aren't good EDC's...blah blah blah)? If so, what ammo are you using? I'm suggested the CCI Stingers from what I saw doing some searches. Now I'm trying to get the .380 since it's not being used, so I'm actually encouraging it a bit ...LOL Twisted Evil

spotch

Bearcat
If we're talking about 22lr as a carry weapon, it would definitely be a revolver. If we're talking 22lr I'd carry a LCR 22 or a S&W 43c, perhaps. Another option is a 22mag revolver like the S&W 351c.

Not a semi-auto though... too reliant on ammo firing to cycle it IMHO. Also, something like an LCR 22 will be a little lighter and smaller/easier to carry (though you do give up 3 rounds of capacity)

Just my .02

spotch

Bearcat
Oh, and if you're looking to pick up a used .380 LCP I have a friend in Columbus that's thinking of selling his. Carried often, shot rarely, in excellent condition (i think he's wanting to change to a different caliber or something). send me a PM and I can get you his email address if you're interested.

pitandruger

Bearcat
spotch said:
Oh, and if you're looking to pick up a used .380 LCP I have a friend in Columbus that's thinking of selling his. Carried often, shot rarely, in excellent condition (i think he's wanting to change to a different caliber or something). send me a PM and I can get you his email address if you're interested.

Interesting...Thank you, I'll send you a PM...

louiethelump

Buckeye
The SR22 gives better ballistics than the LCR due to the longer barrel. and the 3 extra rounds and a second magazine very easy to carry and reload. I like Velocitors for carry and find they give the same or better velocity than stingers in a handgun and they use a full 40 grain bullet. I have never had reliability issues with 22 autos that work well, and that usually means a little bigger gun than a Beretta 21 and the SR22 fits right in there. I don't hesitate to use a 22 as EDC as I believe the chance of me coming into a den of muggers, illegal bikers, or PCP drugged crazies with my rather mundane live style is rather unlikely, and a "road rager" is more likely. For that, "a gun" is what matters and not so much the power of it.

I see the SR22 as 3 "triple taps" with a couple of rounds left over. Three rapid fired rounds of 22lr is very easy to do with the handy little SR22, and mine is accurate and reliable.

At times I go about with nothing by a NAA mini in a pocket, and I see the SR22 as a dramatic step up from that. Of course if I lived the life of many posters on gun discussion boards, and went into dark alleys, biker bars, drug dealing areas and ghettos of cities large and small, I would feel differently. MY first line of personal defense is common sense, the avoidance of trouble, and of NOT going into trouble areas and avoiding the local watering holes that are referred to here in the south as "knife and gun clubs". I also don't respond to instigation on the road or elsewhere and go on about my business.

I am 59 years old and survived 28 years of police work (not the desk type, but the in a police car responding to calls type) in a very congested county of a million or so people in Florida where everyone is armed by going by the above guidelines.

A well made 22 auto pistol does quite nicely for me.

pitandruger

Bearcat
louiethelump said:
Of course if I lived the life of many posters on gun discussion boards, and went into dark alleys, biker bars, drug dealing areas and ghettos of cities large and small, I would feel differently. MY first line of personal defense is common sense, the avoidance of trouble, and of NOT going into trouble areas and avoiding the local watering holes that are referred to here in the south as "knife and gun clubs". I also don't respond to instigation on the road or elsewhere and go on about my business.

A well made 22 auto pistol does quite nicely for me.

Thank you for the kind reply and thank you for the honesty...That makes complete sense...So many talk like they have to use deadly force all the time and 'poo poo' a 22LR as an EDC. Thanks again...

spotch

Bearcat
Fwiw, the sr22 seems to be pretty darn close to the LCR as far as muzzle velocity/energy goes... (keep in mind the sr22 had a bit of a temp advantage)
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR22P.htm
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-LCR22.htm
(Though the sr22 has more rifling the actual length of the chamber that combustion can propel the bullet is almost identical)

Youre right about the round count though, no disputing that. Since we're not talking about glocks shooting centerfire ammo, i'd rather stick with my 8 round revolver :D

parson1

Bearcat
My wife carries a SR22 when she goes walking, she carries it with CCI Stingers. For what it's worth she likes it and I have yet to have one problem with reliablity, but we've only got about 1000 rounds through it so far.

tonyben

Bearcat
I fired an insane amount of rounds through mine on my first range trip and I believe it will make a good carry piece. I had not one jam, stovepipe or failure to extract.

This pistol is more than reliable enough to fit the bill.

I am seriously considering making it my carry sidearm as well. Load it with some stingers and it's good to go.

Tony.

XDM6951

Bearcat
My Sr22 1200 rds not a burp . I consider reliable. The 22 is not suppose to be a carry round. I dont know anyone wanting to get shot with a pellet gun much less a 22. The chance of usung your piece for protection is slim very slim.With the odds I feel if that is all you have it is a good choice. My EDC is a LCP and 642 . Sometimes I wonder if I could place shots better with my SR22 . all in all my LCP is most comfortable in summer .7 shots of 380 vs 5 +p 38 I think is on a parr how does 11 rds of 22LR fit in .

Snake45

Hawkeye
spotch said:
If we're talking about 22lr as a carry weapon, it would definitely be a revolver. If we're talking 22lr I'd carry a LCR 22 or a S&W 43c, perhaps. Another option is a 22mag revolver like the S&W 351c.

Not a semi-auto though... too reliant on ammo firing to cycle it IMHO. Also, something like an LCR 22 will be a little lighter and smaller/easier to carry (though you do give up 3 rounds of capacity)

Just my .02
Quoted for truth. This guy knows what he's talking about. :wink:

If I HAD to rely on a .22LR of any kind for self-defense, it would be a DA revolver of 8, 9, or 10 round capacity.

Spyder

Bearcat
Was in a shop yesterday and one of the girls behind the counter had a Pink P22 strapped on her hip. Apparently she feels confident about carrying a .22 for protection...........

XDM6951

Bearcat
I wonder . 11xCCI stingers ,5x38=+p or 7x380.For summer CC

I know a 45 acp is best but in those 3 choices considering comfort and concielability I vote for my LCP 380 . My 642 is good a little heavier and the sr22 is a little biger .

The LCP is reliable I feel 500 RDS no issues and is forgotten in pocket .
The 642 is reliable no issues . However you know you have it .
The Sr22 carries just about the same as my XDM 3.8 C but a boat anchor with 20x9mm

rugerceltics13

Bearcat
i carry my sr22 as my EDC. never had a problem, but i know i can pull that trigger and unload the entire mag in as much time as it takes for me to shoot 2 of my p95 rds

donut757

Blackhawk
I will not hesitate to carry my lcr22. I dont think i would ever want to carry a semi in .22 even though i very seldomly hqve issues with my 22/45 with cci sv and federal bulk.... The sr22 doesnt do much for me as far as looks and purpose and i would not want to compare that pistol to the time proven MK series of .22s in terms of reliability, funtionality, and accuracy.

I think as far as carry gun for simple chores like around the house farm would be fine... But i dont see the gun as anything more than a fun gun to shoot and train.

But then again maybe i need to shoot one of these things to make a valid argument

Msmith50

Bearcat
I'm new to the gun world - my SR22 is my first gun. So I don't claim to be an expert on any of this. But I am a mechanical engineer, and was trying to decide for myself what SR22 ammo would be best for personal protection. Engineering approach was:

What we want is maximum energy transferred to the target.
Energy is 1/2 * (mass) * (velocity) * (velocity)

As long as you use consistent units, you can compare two loads, even if the units don't work out to a usual unit for energy.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/ lists the following:

Velocitor 40 grain, 1435 fps
Stinger 32 grain, 1640 fps

If you do the math above, the Velocitor comes out with a few percent more energy. The added mass more than makes up for the small decrease in velocity.

My SR22 is loaded with Velocitors right now. I use cheapo Wally World bulk for a full day at the range, but refill with Velocitors before putting her away for the night.

eveled

Hawkeye
Spyder said:
Was in a shop yesterday and one of the girls behind the counter had a Pink P22 strapped on her hip. Apparently she feels confident about carrying a .22 for protection...........

That sounds more like marketing, I bet she sells one to almost every female who walks through the door! ED.

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
The nice thing about an opinion is that every one has one. Do your research. What have covert and clandestine operatives used in the past to complete their missions? Remember: Weapon defines tactics. You better be ready. Finally .22 ammo has the highest failure rate: here are a couple of reasons: it is the most,by volume round manufactured, it is a rim fire. Even my trusted ammo dose not alway work. The problem is I cannot tell you why. It has alway been that way. For years that same bullet out of one box. That is why we have the clearing drills. Most FTF in .22's is ammo related. So Practice, Practice, Practice.

Jeff Cooper said he would rather have a hatchet than a .22. Jim Bowie had a big knife rather than a sword cane. Me I always carry a reload so I can go home with a loaded gun.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Since you brought up Jeff Cooper, current Gunsite doctrine is that you should carry the largest caliber you can comfortably shoot. The only reason I can think of that a person would carry a .22 pistol for self defense is that it is the only pistol they own.

A self defense firearm is carried to stop a threat of bodily injury or death. It's not logical that a person would choose to bet their life on the smallest, weakest caliber made. No doubt a .22 will kill a person, the question is will it stop a person intent on causing harm?

Jeff Cooper also said if carrying a .25 caliber makes you feel better then carry it but whatever you do don't shoot someone with it, when they get home and discover you shot them they're going to be mighty upset..