Ruger Scout Rifle SS 18 inch barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hello,

I am a big fan of my Ruger Scout Rifle with 16.5 in barrel and forward mounted scout scope. I bought it in 2011 and it is a great shooter. It now sports a Leupold FXII 2.5x28 scout scope.

I found this SS model with 18 inch barrel and was most impressed with the look and feel.

I talked myself into it and mounted a Nikon 2x7x32 scope with standard supplied Ruger rings.

This rifle also has a better than average trigger but not as good as my 2011 model with 16.5 inch barrel.

I know, why have both?

I shot this 10 round group at 100 yards, fairly rapidly with 168 grain Remington HP.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Nice shooting Bill I hope someone brings one to the east coast gathering that I can try.

These rifles are extremely useful.

I have gone between conventional scope mounting and forward mounting with the 16.5 inch barrel gun. I enjoy the fast handling of forward mounted scope but did not like the lack of optics power for longer shots.
I just could not decide on how configure the rifle. I just mounted a Leupold FXII 2.5x28 scout scope on it and I will keep it configured this way now that I have a slightly bigger version.

I plan on keeping the 18 inch rifle set up with a conventional mounted scope.

Bill

By the way, it is raining like heck down the hill. 8)

TCGuy

Single-Sixer
I have one in stainless, too. I also went with the conventional scope mounts, but I did have to remove the picatinny rail to accommodate a 40 mm objective. I bought the plug screws from Ruger to fill the screw holes, and it's all good.

I ran my 16.5 model that way for awhile. I had a nice 3x9x40 Nikon on it and it worked out well. I found that my 2x7x32 would do everything I asked of it and would clear the rail. My Nikon is in the lower price range but quality seems good. ($125) I might start looking at a nicer scope and make some comparisons in quality. Something in the $250 range.

Bill

dad11345

Bearcat
I have had good luck with SWFA demo scopes. My Scout stainless 18 inch barrel will be wearing a 1.75x6x32 Var- X III later this week.