Ruger PC-9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JohnnyP

Bearcat
How many members have or want to have one of these carbines?.If you have one do you want to sell it?.

gramps

Hawkeye
I have thought one of these would be great to have around the farm. Fairly cheap to shoot now. OTOH I have plenty of other guns that fulfill that role.
gramps, on a fixed income

Dranrab

Single-Sixer
I have one. I bought it nearly 20 years ago. It's been an unfailingly reliable gun. Even after it spent 3 days in a saltwater and mud flooded safe after my house got flattened by Katrina. I recovered it, swished it around in a freshwater pond and hosed it with WD-40 inside and out. That's all I had time to do until a couple months later. It never rusted. You have to look closely to see any imperfections. The trigger is HORRIBLE. It's reasonably accurate with the factory sights.

I have more than one and in fact my first one is customized with a folding stock... I think there are about 3 of us in the U.S. that did this... if I could figure out how to fix the latest upgrade problems with photo bucket I would post a picture....

the triggers on these are different... I think about 14 or more pounds... they do have a good break but you have to get used to that hard pull...

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/blume357/media/Gun%20Pictures/Web%20Gun%20Pics/PC9finalfold.jpg.html

mac66

Single-Sixer
Pistol caliber carbines (PCCs) never really took off in the past. I mean if you are going to carry a rifle, why carry one in a pistol caliber? In the last 25-30 years however the proliferation of concealed carry laws in so many states introduced so many new people to the shooting sports that it would seem like there would be new market for a companion piece i.e, PCCs to one's carry pistol. Maybe it's time for Ruger to come out with an American Carbine to go alone with their American Pistol, American Rifle and American Rimfire.

Cornhusker

Bearcat
I have one, but haven't made up my mind if I want to sell it or not.
I like shooting it, I like the looks of it, but rarely shoot it.
Just a plain jane PC9
IMG_7437-2.jpg

Old RugerFan

Bearcat
I have a PC9GR that I picked up while stationed in Germany '97-'01. I've only shot it a few times, but every time it's been awesome. And no, it's not for sale. I originally bought it as a companion piece to my P89DC. If you find one, I think you'll like it!

willk

Blackhawk
Dranrab said:
I have one. I bought it nearly 20 years ago. It's been an unfailingly reliable gun. Even after it spent 3 days in a saltwater and mud flooded safe after my house got flattened by Katrina. I recovered it, swished it around in a freshwater pond and hosed it with WD-40 inside and out. That's all I had time to do until a couple months later. It never rusted. You have to look closely to see any imperfections. The trigger is HORRIBLE. It's reasonably accurate with the factory sights.
Considering the damage other firearms suffered during Katrina, that is outstanding.

gunman42782

Hunter
I bought one a few years ago and probably didn't keep it about 6 months. It was completely reliable, and I have plenty of P series mags to keep it fed. However, I thought for as much as the thing weighed, and the length of it, what's the point? It is not as compact as a M4, in a much less powerful round. In other words, I couldn't think of a thing that it could do, that my M4 couldn't do better. And, it was a little tricky to field strip and put back together. So, I sold it.

As I've said, I like mine, don't hardly ever shoot them but they go with my collection of 9mm P pistols... as for the need for a M4, when I need one I figure I'll pick a select fire one up off the ground.

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
I had both a .40 and 9mm version over the years---nothing really special---so they're gone

Just bought a Glock 20SF 10mm that easily outclasses either 9 or 40 out of a carbine----in a much more shoot-able and carry-able package. 15 plus one in the gun vs the Ruger .40 at its best at 11 plus one.

Razor

Bearcat
I've had my PC9GR for over 15 years now, totally love it.
Only problems I've had were because crap aftermarket mags.

But, it falls into the "fun" gun category.
So, if I ever get to the point of selling guns off, it'll be on the list to go.

Here's my story (again) from a few years back... we had a serious Ice storm here, power out... big tree fixing to fall on the house and take it out at any moment... tell wife we need to pack light.... grab the dogs and hit the road and see if we can make it South 95 miles to my parents... car is parked a few blocks up... but have no idea what the main roads will be like... So, we pack what we need for a night or two and I need to carry a gun just in case... One Ruger P95 and 6 full 15 rounds mags and my PC9 with folding stock......

mpalm

Single-Sixer
They are overbuilt rugged dependable,guns designed to be put in the trunk of a police car, pulled out when s@%t hits the fan as a cannot miss carbine at ranges beyond pistol .I shoot mine at 50-100 yards all the time. It is a fun plinker. The trigger is stiff...but not too bad. Mine is VERY accurate.
As far as rust goes....mine looks brand new inside, I mean the build quality is astonishing.. I am not at all sursprised that you could submerge one in water , wd40 it, then use it again.
Ruger must have lost a lot of money making these. they only built approx. 20,000 in 9mm and 15,000 in 40cal. (over a 10 year period!). The ironic part is everyone wants one now. They can share mags with your P series pistol and travel together . Indoor shooting ranges will let you use them too because its a pistol round!
I am not interested in selling mine either, if i were looking ,I would try gunbroker or gunsamerica.com. If no luck, then i would get a Beretta storm carbine. (They are just as nice)

coach

Hunter
I bought a marlin camp 9 before the pc9's came out so I was never really interested, but I always thought they loooked nice and wouldn't mind having one.

welder

Buckeye
I have one I picked up on Gunbroker a couple years ago. It was a police trade in, stock has been branded and there is some paint on the fore end, but excellent condition inside and a perfect mate for my P series pistols. It currently stands in the corner of my bedroom along with a P95 for home defense duties. The Mossberg 590A1 is there too. I had a couple other ones that I bought new, sold them both in perfect condition for less than I gave for my current one. I will not sell this one and will add another if one comes around at a fair price.

mpalm

Single-Sixer
I think they would sell a lot of them if they started making ones that accept sr series and ruger american magazines.....