Ruger P Series Cases

Help Support Ruger Forum:

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
I have noticed that there are a few variations of Ruger Cases for the P Series Pistols.....

I have 3 different versions.....

a wide one that holds the pistol (with or without a mag), 2 spare magazines and loader

a narrow one (kinda) that only holds the pistol with a mag inside and one space for a spare mag and the loader slides over it.

a black one that is different than the first two, but similar to the smaller one. It came with my early KP89DC (and the P85s I believe).

Are there any others? I would maybe like to trade a longer/wider one for the smaller one (if anyone is interested). Makes stacking/storage easier... LOL.

I believe Ruger has used some of these cases for the SR series as well... from what I can see at least.

Edit.... Ok.... here is a pic of some of my P's.... the 3 different cases on the bottom are the ones I mentioned above..... not sure if there are others that are different than those 3.
From bottom left up over and down then to center.... KP89DC (black case), above KP90, Upper Right KP94, Lower right KP93 and center is KP89 (safety).

FiveRugers.jpg

roylt

Hunter
There are "different" cases but really only in cosmetics. Newer cases have "feet" so they stack real nice and "lock" together. (if the same length. Small boxes and longer type.) There has also been different color plastis. (black, green, red, gray)

Also the newer boxes have just an "R" logo and the older have "SR".

I do have a case for a SR9 that is the longer style. Funny how the logo is "R" only but the gun is SR. But I guess the SR doesn't really stand for Sturm Ruger. Does it?

Side note I like the long boxes better. They fit perfect in a filing cabinet. I do have the same 3 you have though with newer black as well.

The only red one I have seen went for around 100 bucks empty!
The only green one I have seen was for a P95. Can't remember what it sold for but it was more than I wanted to pay.

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
Well, that is interesting..... and those red or green cases sound kinda of pricey to me.

Hmm, if the SR no longer stands for Sturm Ruger then what does it stand for? Striker Ruger? :wink:

roylt

Hunter
Oh, the old black case you have was the first case and originally said Ruger P85 on it. When they put the 89 it it they dropped the P85 of course. I don't have that case either.

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
I have a P90 1st year production (660-211XXX) 1991. Has the black box like the bottom left above.

Jeff

hittman

Staff member
There's been other threads on the different color plastic boxes too if you care to search the forum.

Some special runs or distributor exclusives were shipped in the colors other than gray.

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
There's been other threads on the different color plastic boxes too if you care to search the forum.

Some special runs or distributor exclusives were shipped in the colors other than gray.

Ugh.... I have tried the search and it pulls up more stuff than I care to sift thru. I did narrow it down and came up with only this one, which was relative at least..... http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=166676&hilit=case+colors

roylt

Hunter
Any post about P-guns is a good post! Even if it has been done before. My opinion.

Keep the P-guns alive!!

they also came in the yellow and black ,one piece fold up box that was almost square as well as a couple of different early gray, with a metal plate (insert) and a different texture on the cover...

roylt

Hunter
Of course, I always forget about the cardbourd boxes.

What is the metal plate type? Picture please.

Nevada

Single-Sixer
I have two red cases. But the guns are still in them. 50th anniversary and NRA. I have one yellow cardboard box I bought when they were cleaning house some years ago. I've never seeen the black type or any other colors. The MKII is the longest case I have.

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
I don't think I have seen just a cardboard box for a Ruger pistol. The MKII/III have almost the same size box as the larger P series box. I prefer the smaller P series boxes personally.....

roylt

Hunter
This is a shipper from a P-gun.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ruger-Empty-Box-/360438386816?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ebcd5080

This is the card board type box. (This would actually have a shipper too.)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RUGER-P-SERIES-FACTORY-CARDBOARD-BOX-WITH-MANUAL-GREAT-COLLECTIBLE-/170976609745?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27cf0005d1

roylt

Hunter
I have a couple "new" guns that have the shipper. The gun label is on the shipper and the gray plastic box has no marking. Newer guns have the serial number label on the gray box.

The card board box would still have a shipper "cover" box. I think anyway but not 100% sure.

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
welder said:
roylt said:
Any post about P-guns is a good post! Even if it has been done before. My opinion.

Keep the P-guns alive!!

Absolutely. Trust me I do my part. I have several and want more. :D
Very disappointed when the P Series was dropped. KP90DC is my constant companion and a KP90 Safety model also resides with us. Member Calvin has a pair of beautiful KP90DC's and I doubt that he will be parting with them.