Ruger No. 1 Tropical 45/70 (pre warning)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GMB

Bearcat
I have an older pre warning No.1 Tropical 45/70. Had surgery (shoulder roter cuff). Dr. said not to shoot heavy recoiling firearms. I would like to find approx. value. 90 - 95%.

Thanks GMB

GMB

Bearcat
I don't know either I thought 800.00-850.00, but the gun shop owner said the pre-warning Tropical 45/70's were rare and said I should ask on line. If someone could let me know if they are collectable or not it would help. Serial# 130-02xxx, Bluing on receiver is turning Plum color, but 98% bluing, other than color on receiver wood 95 %, Red ruber butt is hard and is chipping on the edges.
Thanks,
Gale Blackwell Aka, GMB

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
What you have is a 1S Sporter, not a 1H Tropical. I also have a 45-70 1S in the 130-02XXX range, and according people more knowledgeable than me, it was produced at the same time as the non-prefix 45-70s. It has all the non-prefix attributes except the early forearm checkering pattern (Ruger apparently put only the later forearms on anything that had a SN prefix - or at least that's been my experience).

The 1H 45-70 is a very rare bird and commands very high prices in collector circles. I've seen estimates of 12-20 having been produced and to my knowledge, these were all made in 1976 and have the "200year" stamp on the barrel. Speaking of barrels, the 1H 45-70 will have a heavy (D weight) 24" barrel, while the much more numerous 1S will have a 22" Sporter (B weight) barrel.

FWIW, the recently produced Lipsey special runs in 45-70 have a 26" C-weight barrel, same as the 1V and the 375 H&H 1H. This is the 45-70 I had waited for for years and quickly picked one up as it's the perfect mix of weight, length, balance, etc. for this round.

GMB

Bearcat
I appreciate your help. I didn't think I could be so lucky.

Thanks
GMB

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
While not as rare or valuable as 1H "Tropical" 45-70, yours is still an early example of the 45-70 in the No. 1 and depending on condition and wood figure, it should be worth a lot more than a later run-of-the-mill 1S 45-70. After all, it has (or should have, like mine) the first style grip checkering, a Douglas premium barrel, a fully adjustable 3-screw trigger, an unslotted lever pin (RH side), better fit and finish and, to my eye at least, and much nicer lines to the stocks.

I know I wouldn't let mine go for anything less than well north of $1000.

3000fps

Bearcat
I may be interested in buying your 45-70. Do you have some pictures of both sides of the stock and any damage to the rifle? Also what's the first three of the serial number? Please PM me. Thanks