Ruger MKIII Jackpot

Help Support Ruger Forum:

aWoods

Single-Sixer
Sometimes you just get a really nice model of a gun. That's what happened when I ordered a ruger MKIII with the removable grip panels.

This gun seems to like all type of 22 ammo. That's pretty rare from what I've seen. I've had one failure so far, where a round didn't seem to have enough powder to cycle the action. I had two failures within my first two magazines, which I believe were due to the magazines needing to be broken in (they were very gritty from the factory, and I had to break them down and clean and lubricate them thoroughly).

My old Ruger MKIII hunter used to only like federal bulk ammo, but this new gun really doesn't care. It cycles with loadings I know tend to be too light to cycle the action effectively.

It's a beautiful thing. :cry:

firebirdude

Bearcat
I've heard horror stories regarding TWO different types of remington ammo and the MKIII. I've just been using Federal bulk. No failures out of probably 2,000 rounds other than 4-5 misfires. That's to be expected with rimfires especially anyway.

air_winger

Bearcat
I won't shoot the Remington ammo any more. I get about 10% failure rate. Only ones that shoot well in my MKI is the Federal 550 bulk pack and the Aguila 40gr copper plated HP. Over 4,000 rnds without a failure.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
And I thought I had the only one. I have owned many MKI's mkII's all heavy barreled. All of them would occasionally hang up never a problem just bad ammo I assumed. I am the world's worst person I keep a bag of ammo in my truck year round. I have a 4x4 and keep a crown royal bag full of 22 ammo hanging over the shifter in the floor I shoot year round and keep the bag full of ammo. I shoot my mkIII hb and now my mkIII standard also my single six out of this bag all the time. The mkIII's have been 100% reliable so far. I even went back to my dealer and told him ruger messed up and made a perfect gun and I got it. Because my MKIII didn't ever hang up.

WrenNH

Bearcat
My Mk III loves the Federal American Eagle hi-velocity brick packs, in the red box. Flawless.

It absolutely hates the Federal China-Mart 550 round bulk packs. I can't seem to go three magazines without a failure to fire, or failure to extract.

Go figure.

Dirt Nap

Bearcat
A little trick I picked up from an old timer a few years back was to take whatever 22lr round I was using, place the rounds in a plastic zip lock bag and lightly spray (2 light sprays at the most) gun oil into the plastic bag. Shake them up to remove the factory wax or coating off the bullets. Remove the cleaned bullets and put them into a small Tupperware container ready for the range.

This 3 -minute prep process has allowed me to shoot any 22lr round without jams, failure to eject, etc.

I have at least 20K through my Mark II pistol and approximately 8K through my Mark III 22/45 Hunter without any issues. The gun is also cleaner after shooting even cheap lead rounds.

As much as I shoot, I do buy cheap bulk 22lr range plinking rounds and this little tip has allowed me to shoot without all the problems that cheaper ammunition can cause. When I shoot for score in competition, I use CCI Mini-Mag's; however, I also do this process to remove the factory wax coating so that they can load into Ultimate Clip Loader without leaving the wax build up.

I suggest trying this little tip next time you buy some cheaper bulk 22lr. You will be amazed out how well the cheaper ammunition cycles once they have been cleaned up.

Dirt Nap

WrenNH

Bearcat
Dirt Nap said:
A little trick I picked up from an old timer a few years back was to take whatever 22lr round I was using, place the rounds in a plastic zip lock bag and lightly spray (2 light sprays at the most) gun oil into the plastic bag. Shake them up to remove the factory wax or coating off the bullets. Remove the cleaned bullets and put them into a small Tupperware container ready for the range.

I'll try that with some of my junk .22 ammunition.

donut757

Blackhawk
Cheapo remington is all i shoot from my mkiii 22/45 and it does awesome... i will have a misfire every now but its rimfire so i dont worry about it too much...

only thing that gun will not cycle at all was the Super X 28 gr JHP rounds... they were the first rounds i tried to shoot outta the gun... maybe they would cycle good now but who cares... all i do is plink and play so its what ever

Dirt Nap

Bearcat
I have some Remington gun oil in a spray can. It works great with just light amount. My Mark II, III, and 10-22 cycle clean with any type of ammo after I prep the rounds. I shot over 600 rounds today at the range with my Mark III and 10-22, and only had one round not work. I can live with one dud every couple hundred rounds.

Mark B

mattsbox99

Hunter
Mine seem to like everything except the remingtons but that doesnt bother me because the rems have had low availability but all the other stuff has been pretty good on availability and a better price.