Hunter
While my favorite 10/22's in order are my;
1966 mfg/3rd yr./Manlicher/Redfield 4x
1969 mfg/Finger Groove Sporter
1974 mfg/Walnut/Metal Butt & b.band
1981 mfg/DSP/Walnut Sporter Checkered
No picture…😳

I also really like my Late Model Builds & Custom Shop,,,
with the Second from the top gun being my 50th Anniversary submission… a heavily modified Model 1261.
52974886485_b33e0653c4_k.jpg
Custom Shop now wears a Leupold Patrol.
53006326993_07ea8f0223_k.jpg

I get it!!!,,, do something that celebrates a historical offering,,, But that has never happened … ie; The 40th with a SLUG added to the butt stock…🙄

contender

Ruger Guru
"Sadly no Rugers or related Family, or anyone old enough to understand history."

True enough. While many of the management folks at Ruger are older,, I don't think many of them have the "connection" of feeling like we old time Ruger fans have for the older types of guns. Blue steel, walnut, classic lines, are really heartwarming. Bill had an appreciation for such stuff,,, AND so did the buyers of his era. Once the company went public,, and people who bought stock wanted to profit,, it did create some subtle changes over time. Once Bill & the family were out of the company,, corporate types,, who who are both stockholders & want to make bigger profits,, look at what the marketing departments say is the direction they should go to sell a lot. Which also points to this;

"Nostalgia ain't selling well ….. new buyers is what they're chasing."

Sadly,, us older folks are more nostalgic than the younger crowd. That is evidenced by the general attitude of many nowadays in everything they buy. The attitude of; "I want it to look good, and if it breaks, throw it away & get a new one." Older stuff in most areas is more & more of a niche market. When it comes to firearms,, we old curmudgeons are way behind the "modern gun types" that the younger folks want. Black, plastic, tactical, etc are what the younger types want.
We older folks grew up with westerns, sixguns, lever guns, and the like. Bill understood this,, and was able to build the company on what others left behind. While westerns & older movies or TV shows still enjoy some popularity they are lagging behind. I've heard of kids nowadays refusing to watch any TV or movies that were made prior to the 1990's. They say "It's too old & the graphics are lame" kind of stuff.

So trying to sell a lot of guns,, Ruger is trying to cater to the younger crowd,, while using time proven designs. We old pharts who prefer a more classic type of gun,, well,, we are slowly losing ground. Our numbers are lower because we are getting old & passing on. And our preferences aren't what the mass market wants.
Heck,, just look at how often we discover real treasures in a gun shop or pawn shop or an estate where the younger family swapped off a prized Ruger for something "more modern."

I too would have preferred to see more "classic" stuff to celebrate the 75th Anniversary,, but I also understand why they made the guns they are offering.

edm1

Single-Sixer
On the Ruger website they do have blued and Walnut 75th anniversary 10-22s.

rail

Bearcat
There has always been a faction at Ruger looking for the money - I once had a conversation with Anthony Imperato about the barrel band on their little 1894/22 which I had bought (maybe 18 years ago i guess) and was surprised to find had a plastic barrel band. I sent an email and he called and offered a metal band. I told him I was ok with the model since that is what it shipped with, but curious about the decision. He pretty much said it was his dad's idea for cost cutting and he'd tried to talk him out of it.

@contender is right, Bill Ruger almost never went for cost cutting - I say almost because there had to have been some instances. But forging vs machining is a good example of not backing down for cost, and of course half of what most of us appreciate in these firearms is their being overbuilt... I would have to assume that current management has to contend with such things as acquisitions when making financial decisions whereas Bill Ruger usually came by his choices through his built-in aesthetics. Clearly he was right about many of those choices, but you can't expect many people to be as good as him at determining what the market wants/lacks.

G2

Hunter
Last edited:
So the 75th Anniversary 10/22's come with either Walnut Stained or Natural Finish Hardwood stocks, correct? My question is, which Hardwood have they chosen to build these stocks from?

G2

Hunter
So the 75th Anniversary 10/22's come with either Walnut Stained or Natural Finish Hardwood stocks, correct? My question is, which Hardwood have they chosen to build these stocks from?

I'm thinking it looks like and is Birch or Beech.

Another interesting observation with the 60 Year Collector Series, a RED Trigger and it's not even the BX Trigger.
1704383534599.jpeg

The 2, 75 year DSP's,,,, Standard Trigger Group also...🙄

Last edited:

edm1

Single-Sixer
I actually saw and held a 75th 10-22 today. It was ok. The only 75th on it was on the bolt.