Ruger 1A or 1S in 30-06

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jmol50

Single-Sixer
Rocdoc said:
I'm an S fan too, if your busting elk they did a 35 Whelen around the the time they did the '06 year plus or minus

A few years down the line I've got my sights on a Ruger No 1 in 35 Whelen or 9.3x62. Either of those would be pretty sweet.

rangerbob said:
The Henry is a nice single shot rifle with checkered walnut and blue steel, with or without sights. One could by (4) of them for what a #1 costs or 1 of them and a truckload of 223 ammo. If practice is the reason for the 223, it makes perfect sense. I just sold one in 45-70 to one of my LE buds, very nice rifle. I'm down to only 3 #1's, all #1A's, in 250 Savage, 280 Remington, and of course, 308. Bob! :mrgreen:

Well I'm surprised by the initial warm reception to the Henry Single-Shot. :)
As I said, this would just be a range gun to practice the common unsupported shooting positions. Nothing beyond MPBR. The 223 would be a lot easier on the shoulder, ears, and wallet.

Single-Sixer
No disrespect to the Henry, I'm sure it's fine rifle, but I would rather have one No. 1 than 10 of them.

jmol50

Single-Sixer
Excellent timing, as I came to my senses and bought a 1V 223 yesterday with a Leupold VX2 on it. I handled a Henry at a Cabela's near me and it just wasn't the same. And after factoring in tax, scope base/rings, scope and trigger/hammer work... it was approaching the deal I got on this 1V. Very happy with how things shook out here.

kevin masten

Blackhawk
I started out with No 1 Ruger rifles as a young man and have grown old with them. Loved them back then and love them still. Hate to see and hear of their passing. As all things must do, do must they and so must we. Bill Ruger, you keep smiling; you hit a home run with it.