Mini-30 Conversions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I still have a couple Ruger Minis, all of which I thoroughly enjoy for one reason or another. However, I am not a fan of the 7.62x39 cartridge but my dislike is probably phycological. I do own a Mini-14 in .300 Blackout that satisfies my "need" for a heavier range of bullet weights. So my Mini-30 has become a safe queen after less than one box of cartridges.
Past forums have addressed the Ruger Minis in detail yet I haven't seen anything on actual conversion of the Mini-30. Any thoughts or suggestions beyond "Why mess with a perfectly good thing?"

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
When surplus 7.62x39 was available and cheap a Mini 30 was a great idea.....now you don't see them that much....kinda like how SKS's and AK's dried up......( they used to be everywhere )

I have a 300 Blackout and make my own cases out of 223's.......just find it cheaper and more versatile than 7.62x39

When surplus 7.62x39 was available and cheap a Mini 30 was a great idea.....now you don't see them that much....kinda like how SKS's and AK's dried up......( they used to be everywhere )

I have a 300 Blackout and make my own cases out of 223's.......just find it cheaper and more versatile than 7.62x39
I don't know why I didn't think of modifying 223 cases to 300 Blackout. I gave up reloading years ago but I still have all the gear. Many thanks for the suggestion.
What was the logic of Ruger's use of the Mini-14 for the Blackout instead of the Mini-30?

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
I bought one of those cheap Harbor Freight micro chop saws for about $20 and some cheap-o Lee 300 Blackout dies for case forming and make my own 223's into 300 Blk

Attachments

• IMG_2889.JPG
    IMG_2889.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 35
The 6.5 Grendel might or might not work with a 7.62 magazine. That's one of the hurdles involved. Another is or might be the difference in operating pressure of 6.5 Gr vs 7.62x39. Getting the gas rate could be tricky.

NikA

Buckeye
I don't know why I didn't think of modifying 223 cases to 300 Blackout. I gave up reloading years ago but I still have all the gear. Many thanks for the suggestion.
What was the logic of Ruger's use of the Mini-14 for the Blackout instead of the Mini-30?
.300 Blackout uses the same size bolt face and magazine as the .223, so the switch for them only involved making new barrels and tuning the gas system.

The Mini-30 is the same casting as the Mini-14, what does the label they use for the platform matter?

"The Mini-30 is the same casting as the Mini-14, what does the label they use for the platform matter?"
The external dimensions of the receiver have little bearing on the operational details.

NikA

Buckeye
"The Mini-30 is the same casting as the Mini-14, what does the label they use for the platform matter?"
The external dimensions of the receiver have little bearing on the operational details.
I would argue the receiver markings have even less bearing on the operational details, which is my point in identifying the common starting point.

I'm just the opposite. I like the 7.62X39 cartridge better than the platforms it's available in. I do have two Mini 30's and like them just fine. You just have to keep them within their limitations and not expect target rifle accuracy. I wish Ruger would make their American Ranch Rifle in 7.62X39 with a 20" barrel and rifle sights. Until then I have been searching for a Zastava Mini Mauser in the little Russian cartridge but they're not to be found. I would buy another Mini in 450 Bushmaster in a second.

Schmidtg

Bearcat
Nice to have a "blank canvas" to start with. If you have not done so, I suggest googling "accuracy systems.com". They offer an array of conversions for the Mini14/30.

If you're not bounded by reason, a wildcat conversion would be interesting. How about a 40 caliber based on a shortened 400 legend (so you can use 7.62x39 brass). The 400Legend uses a smaller base diameter which precludes making it from any available brass but if the cartridge is shortened. . . .?

Another bit of madness might be to convert it to a pump action. I had a Ruger (to name drop) AR that I fitted with a UMOS (universal manual operating system) pump conversion. It worked, and better managed round expenditures. (It mitigates the urge to just keep squeezing the trigger.)

Have fun

Hankus

Blackhawk
My stainless/wood Mini-30 from circa 1996 is "minute of hog" accurate. That's good enough for my purposes. The bolt slams back pretty hard with the "cheap" Tulammo steel cased rounds though. I've thought about that adjustable gas block from Accuracy Systems, just never have got around to it.

frysl

Bearcat
My Mini 30 is probably my favorite rifle. I love hitting steel targets at 100 yds at my home range. Using small base dies, i also reload for my Mini 14 and make my own 300BLK shells from free range brass.

Latest posts