Ruger #1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
I think for a "special order" you'd need to pay for 50 or 100 of them. That's how we get "distributor exclusives" like Lipsey's and others.

I'm leaning more to a custom re-barrel too.

Be patient cause there's a number of members here who know a LOT about the #1's.

Post the s/n or look it up on Ruger's web site. That may tell you more.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Again, there were no No. One (or No. 3) 32-20s made by Ruger, "special order" or otherwise.
I don't consider the distributor specials from Lipsey, etc, to be special orders. They were contracted in lots of at least 250 by Ruger's top sellers.

Is it possible that a FOB (friend of Bill) had one made up for himself? Sure, there's the known 1A in 32 S&W that was made for some military general friend. A 32-20 one-off would probably be known by the avid collectors. As always, when collecting Rugers, you can never say never.

Last edited:

tnfiddler

Bearcat
Thank
Again, there were no No. One (or No. 3) 32-20s made by Ruger, "special order" or otherwise.
I don't consider the distributor specials from Lipsey, etc, to be special orders. They were contracted in lots of at least 250 by Ruger's top sellers.

Is it possible that a FOB (friend of Bill) had one made up for himself? Sure, there's the known 1A in 32 S&W that was made for some military general friend. A 32-20 one-off would probably be known by the avid collectors. As always, when collecting Rugers, you can never say never.
S for the reply. I will know more information about it next week and get back with you

tnfiddler

Bearcat
This is my 1st #1. It has been rebarreled for 32-20. The name on the bottom of the barrel is J Seele. Are any of you familiar with him?

Attachments

• 20230907_184729.jpg
    20230907_184729.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 20230907_184801.jpg
    20230907_184801.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 81

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
This is my 1st #1. It has been rebarreled for 32-20. The name on the bottom of the barrel is J Seele. Are any of you familiar with him?
Is the name maybe Seeley? Joe Seeley is a custom gunsmith and engraver in the southern tier of NY. He does fantastic work and is usually set up at the Syracuse, NY gun show.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Yes it is actually Seeley. The Y is upside down. Do you reload for yours?
Yes, I reload for all of my rifles. That said, I have too darned many and have not taken the time to really wring out the 32-20, but so far, it looks very promising with both .311 and .308/9 diameter bullets. Best group to date is with old Winchester W680 powder and Hornady 123gr .310 bullets. 5 into 13/16" at 100 yds.

instructor

Single-Sixer
Purchased a NO 1 some years ago at a gun show and it was in a battered condition, rough if you will, and had 22/250 barrel installed and re blued the action and barrel and refinished the wood on it as well. Shoots very well with the Douglas barrel and the 80 and 90 grain bullets for the twist is 1 in 8. Shot it a number of times on 600 yard matches w/ scope and actually won a few. Had Douglas make me another barrel chambered in 348 Winchester and only real change other than the barrel was the extractor due to diameter of the 348-case base, can hunt mice to moose with it. Not long after the above rifle was in my hands, found a Ruger NO 3 and had Douglas make me two barrels for it, one being 45/70 and other being 6BR. Had the 45/70 barrel a bit heavier than the factory barrel in that caliber for needed some help with the stout recoil of that caliber and it shoots very well with handloads out to 200 yards, plenty of punch even at that range with 400gr + lead bullets. Now the 6BR is the super accurate one for at 150 yards have shot groups of 1/2" for 5 rounds, super surprised at that performance.
This barrel is stainless steel and on the heavy side and 24" in length and yes, it is heavy but only shoot it from a bench or with a bi pod, not something you would want to carry on a long trek so to speak. Both of these Ruger's have the two screws in the trigger and after some messing with them cannot complain about the triggers at all.
Had the stocks sent to a person that does fine checkering work and really sets off the little NO 3.

Glad Mr. Bill Ruger developed these rifles for they are indeed classics in a current market of plastic and aluminum firearms.

Latest posts