Ruger # 1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

arnold3175

Bearcat
I just talked to Ruger service depth to find out what calibers would be offered this year. The short answer was that there are no plans at this time to build any except for distributor specials. Has anyone else heard any different information?

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Yes this has been discussed extensively on this forum, here are the threads:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=216537

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=216944

This is great news as many have thought Ruger was going to retire the #1. Lipsey's is the savior of the #1.

picketpin

Buckeye
Another issue along the same lines. RUGER no longer has ANY #1 parts on hand. Brownells has SOME. Once they start making the rifles under the Lipsey contract it may then be possible to get a part/parts if they are something being made for the specific models being made for Lipsey. No other parts will be available.

RWT

No-1

Single-Sixer
picketpin said:
RUGER no longer has ANY #1 parts on hand.
Good thing the No1 is reliable - Hope they don't change any mfg process and end up with another Red Label fiasco.

wunbe

Buckeye
Though greatful to Lipseys, I see little to rejoice over.

In effect, Ruger has punted the No 1 to distributors! No backup parts, no advertising, no corporate involvement except filling orders when -- and if -- there is slack in the production for bigger in-house customer orders. Tick, tick, tick....

wunbe

R1895

Bearcat
picketpin said:
Another issue along the same lines. RUGER no longer has ANY #1 parts on hand. Brownells has SOME. Once they start making the rifles under the Lipsey contract it may then be possible to get a part/parts if they are something being made for the specific models being made for Lipsey. No other parts will be available.

That's a bit disturbing to hear.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
picketpin said:

RWT

Not challenging you, but is this fact? If I send a rifle back for an issue, cannot Ruger correct it? What will they do if no parts on hand if the issue is their fault?

STURMRUGERFAN

Bearcat
Rocdoc said:
picketpin said:

RWT

Not challenging you, but is this fact? If I send a rifle back for an issue, cannot Ruger correct it? What will they do if no parts on hand if the issue is their fault?

That does bring up an interesting point

wunbe

Buckeye
As I understand it, like many other manufacturers, Ruger has gone to a business strategy of keeping low to zero spare parts or finished products on hand in inventory. Only parts going into current production on order are made and shipped out. If you buy a model that is not going to be made in large runs or remade later and something serious goes wrong with a part that defies simple fixes and it is still under warranty , Ruger may just offer you another caliber or another gun of equal original value. They might bend over backward in making you a good deal regarding a part that is safety critical.

If that piece has gained valuebeyond MSRP due to its after market rarity that enhanced market value is not likely not be seen as part of a warranty. And if you have modified the gun and voided the warranty Ruger might just deny warranty responsibility.

wunbe

Rocdoc

Buckeye
wunbe said:
As I understand it, like many other manufacturers, Ruger has gone to a business strategy of keeping low to zero spare parts or finished products on hand in inventory. Only parts going into current production on order are made and shipped out. If you buy a model that is not going to be made in large runs or remade later and something serious goes wrong with a part that defies simple fixes and it is still under warranty , Ruger may just offer you another caliber or another gun of equal original value. They might bend over backward in making you a good deal regarding a part that is safety critical.

If that piece has gained valuebeyond MSRP due to its after market rarity that enhanced market value is not likely not be seen as part of a warranty. And if you have modified the gun and voided the warranty Ruger might just deny warranty responsibility.

wunbe

I suspect you are correct given current bean counter mentality. Won't this ultimately doom Ruger as far as higher end guns? Maybe not on the plastic guns that I have zero interest in, but if I cannot rely on the ability of Ruger to make things right for higher end guns, I'm likely going away. Not going to accept a RAR in exchange for #1 they screwed up on, or even 2 or 3 offered as 'equal value'. I'll need a check for full value to make me right.