revolver shoulder stocks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Casey 44Mag

Bearcat
Where abouts would i come up with a shoulder stock for a revolver? any will work as i would fit it to the gun. I recently had a 18'' Green mountain octagon barrel put on a SBH frame in 44magnum I went with 18" to snuff all legal ramifacations so adding a stock is legal for me to do. Ive always wanted a cattlemans carbine in 44magnum but no one makes one that i know of. I know its not a true cattlemans carbine but its a variation that I'd want. So where would i find a stock?

MADISON

Single-Sixer
How much would it cost to get the BATF to allow you to have a legal
Revolver shoulder stock?
How long would it take?
I have heard that it can take 2 years for a citizen to get a class 3
[Fully automatic] weapon.

caryc

Hawkeye
Don't know why you'd want to make something like that in .44 mag but if you do get it made, make sure you keep both hands in back of that cylinder when you shoot it.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I believe you can't put a stock on a smokeless revolver or it becomes a short barrel rifle or something like that. Blackpowder revolver with a shoulder stock is ok.

Davide Pedersoli Howdah Shoulder Stock

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=706419&destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct.jsp%3FproductId%3D1267774&WTz_l=YMAL%3BIK-218127

Rossi already makes a 44mag revolver rifle. It has a side shield to protect the forearm.

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=221&category=15&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

44magRossi.jpg

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Jimbo357mag said:
I believe you can't put a stock on a smokeless revolver or it becomes a short barrel rifle or something like that. Blackpowder revolver with a shoulder stock is ok.

Rossi already makes a 44mag revolver rifle. It has a shield to protect the forearm.
http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=221&category=15&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

44magRossi.jpg

He said in the original post he has an 18-inch barrel!

It is perfectly legal to add a stock to a pistol as long as the barrel is over 16-inches. Shotguns need to be 18-inches so not sure why going to 18 helps here other then the overall length needs to be over 26-inches. Now, you can use a pistol with say a 16, 18 or even 36-inch barrel BUT to have a stock on it the overall length has to be over 26-inches.

I don't have any suggestions on where to get a stock but it sounds like a fun project but not one I would likely ever do.

As for where to get the stock, I have no idea!

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
MADISON said:
How much would it cost to get the BATF to allow you to have a legal
Revolver shoulder stock?
How long would it take?
I have heard that it can take 2 years for a citizen to get a class 3
[Fully automatic] weapon.

The most I have waited on any Form 1 or Form 3 is about 6-months. I own Machineguns, Suppressors, and SBRs. It's just a tax payment with background check. Still, what is described here is NOT an NFA item so no taxes would be required!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Quarterbore said:
He siad in the original post he has an 18-inch barrel!

It is perfectly legal to add a stock to a pistol as long as the barrel is ober 16-inches. Shotguns need to be 18-inches so not sure why going to 18 helps here other then the overall length needs to be over 26-inches. Now, you can use a pistol with say a 16, 18 or even 36-inch barrel BUT to have a stock on it the overall length has to be over 26-inches.
Is this the same as a Contender made into a rifle? :?

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Jimbo357mag said:
Quarterbore said:
He siad in the original post he has an 18-inch barrel!

It is perfectly legal to add a stock to a pistol as long as the barrel is ober 16-inches. Shotguns need to be 18-inches so not sure why going to 18 helps here other then the overall length needs to be over 26-inches. Now, you can use a pistol with say a 16, 18 or even 36-inch barrel BUT to have a stock on it the overall length has to be over 26-inches.
Is this the same as a Contender made into a rifle? :?

Exactly, you can take a T/C pistol and replace the barrel with a longer barrel and add a stock. In fact, I have an AR-10 PISTOL - second gun from the top in this picture!

shtf.jpg

It was built originally with a pistol buffer tube and a 16-inch barrel. To be honest an AR-10 pistol was just stupid and no fun to shoot at all so I put on an normal upper and stock (as shown above) so it is configured as a rifle. Just the same, the receiver itself was stransfered to me as a PISTOL RECEIVER and it was built as a pistol FIRST so I could convert it back to a pistol form if I wanted!

Casey 44Mag

Bearcat
Quarterbore knows his stuff thank you. first off Rossi's are GARBAGE flat out no debate. you dont need a shroud to protect you you just have to be smart and be smart with your weapon. I do believe Colt was the first to make a revolving rifle for the need of more and larger firepower on the battle field revolving rifles and carbines have been around since the revolver. and no its not a NFA item i can turn my handguns into rifles all i want in Michigan 16" for rifles and 18" for shotguns I however CANNOT turn a rifle into a pistol unless its a shotgun and if i classify that correctly it makes it an AOW which is just a tax stamp. I went with 18" just because some people measure from the chamber and some people measure from the frame half of my SBH's are marked 6.5 on the form when they are 7.5" in reality it does look very nice. handles well and is very accurate. Im very happy with it so far. I only own 44's and shoot them off hand LOL Im 26 and dont mind the punishment. A friend owns a cattlemans carbine in 45lc and is very pleasant to shoot I just dont want to dedicate my pistol i can always cut the barrel down to 5.5" or so and have a perfectly fine handgun again. I took all my deer this year with my 10.5" SBH from a tree stand and dreampt up this project late in the season. i think it will turn out nicely once finished

eveled

Hawkeye
Crazy laws! The one that gets me is the mares leg lever action pistol. It is perfectly legal because it was made as a pistol. If you make the same thing out of a rifle it is against the law. In my mind case44mag would be better off with a 44mag lever or bolt action rifle. But it does sound like a fun project seems almost any rifle stock could be modified to work for that matter should not be too hard to make one from sratch. Are hour planning to mount it permanently or make it take down easily? Don't forget the pictures when it is done!

stantheman86

Buckeye
You just made one of my dream guns!

How much did the barrel cost to have made? The SRH is the perfect platform for this, because the barrels are just round with no contour, and if you have a scope mounted you don't need a front sight. It would be MUCH harder with something like a GP100, Redhawk etc, because you have to mill in the ejector rod cutout, etc.

It is perfectly legal, you can buy kits to convert a 1911 pistol to a carbine with a 16" barrel and a stock........you just have to install the barrel first, and then the stock. You can have a pistol with as long as barrel as you want, but you cannot stock a modern pistol with a barrel shorter than 16", with the exception of some C&R pistols like Mauser Broomhandles, Hi-Powers etc.

It makes perfect sense to me, I'm a revolver nut and I have always dreamed of a revolving rifle based on a modern gun, like the Super Redhawk. I would use a .44 Magnum because then I can actually afford to shoot it :)

If you have the $$$ any custom stockmaker can make you a stock, in fact it would be easy since the SRH uses a grip peg and all you gotta do is make a stock that fits the peg. It would be harder with a gun with a grip frame like a S&W or a Redhawk.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
stantheman86 said:

How much did the barrel cost to have made? The SRH is the perfect platform for this, because the barrels are just round with no contour, and if you have a scope mounted you don't need a front sight. It would be MUCH harder with something like a GP100, Redhawk etc, because you have to mill in the ejector rod cutout, etc.
Ruger has made Super Redhawks with 24" barrels for the export market.
The guy I chatted with, that supplied this picture, said they made heavy wire stocks for them.

Ruger_SRH-1.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Casey 44Mag said:
I went with 18" just because some people measure from the chamber and some people measure from the frame half of my SBH's are marked 6.5 on the form when they are 7.5" in reality it does look very nice. handles well and is very accurate. Im very happy with it so far. I think it will turn out nicely once finished

I agree! Anybody can buy a Rossi or cattleman off the shelf, but you will have a Ruger SBH carbine when you get done!!
I bought a Dixie revolving 1855 Colt carbine replica by Palmetto. Converted the cylinder to 460 Smith & Wesson but of course only shoot black powder substitute loads in it. Hodgdon Triple 7. No fuss no muss, and no chance of chain fires! I hold it out front with left hand and a heavy glove. Fun to shoot.

Now for a carbine butt I can think of two possibilites right off the top of my head:
The 1st and my choice would be a Colt style Civil war carbine butt from the 1860 Army. A reproduction of course, the ones Colt reproduced in the '70s are too collectible. The Uberti repos are not and good quality. The 7 1/2" SBH dragoon grip is the same size as the '60 Army so it will fit perfect. You'll have to see one to know what I mean but it ony takes a small cut in the butt of the grip frame and an elongated hammer screw (or pin if a new model) that sticks out on both sides of the frame to attach the stock.

The 2nd idea is to order the one piece butt/grip frame from a cattleman adapted to screw to the SBH main frame.

BTW, there is only one correct way to measure a barrel and that's to measure the ENTIRE barrel, it doesn't end at the frame. Tell those people that think so to measure the bore! Put a 1/4" wide tape measure down the bore to show them.

Let us know how you make it, it'll be very cool!

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
Where can I find one of those long barreled Supers. Reminds me of my Contenders when I put a 21 inch barrel (for fun) on a handgun frame.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
charlies said:
Where can I find one of those long barreled Supers. Reminds me of my Contenders when I put a 21 inch barrel (for fun) on a handgun frame.
Frim Wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Super_Redhawk

quote> Versions of the Super Redhawk with 22 inch barrels were produced for the UK market with serial numbers in the 551-5xxxx and 551-7xxxx range. Model numbers were KSRH-21-357 (.357 Magnum) and KSRH-21 (.44 Magnum). Very little information about them is available. <end quote

This thread from 2008.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=31365

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
Jimbo357mag said:
stantheman86 said:

Ruger has made Super Redhawks with 24" barrels for the export market.
The guy I chatted with, that supplied this picture, said they made heavy wire stocks for them.

Ruger_SRH-1.jpg

Wow!

Does anybody make an ankle holster for that one!? :D