Removing powder stain rings from cylinder face

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Leave them alone times a million-billion... :)

Anyway, one might want to give some thought to the fact that, at least to a point, fowling rings on the face of cylinders probably enhance the function of the gun. The less barrel/cylinder gap you have the higher and more consistent the velocity will be; lots of shooters pay good money to smiths to tighten that gap as much as possible. The rings are effectively sealing part of the barrel/cylinder gap and should give much the same benefits as a tighter gap (I don't know that anyone has actually done any scientific testing to prove this).

Also, since more gasses and lead fouling escape in the direction of least resistance, as the ring builds up it should seal the gap evenly (assuming that the cylinder doesn't have noticeable wobble on the shaft). It would seem to make sense that a more even gap would translate to better accuracy though, again, I don't know that it's been empirically proven.

In any case I certainly wouldn't worry about taking them off unless they get so thick that the cylinder is in danger of binding (which actually had happened on a Single Six convertible I bought used several years ago).

John

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Using any abrasive on the cylinder face is a sure way to screw up your cylinder mouths...do that and you adversely affect accuracy...forget the anal cleaning crap and wipe it down with Hoppe's and a flannel patch...Rod

woodsy

Blackhawk
I am so glad to see the overwhelming support for ignoring the discoloration of the cylinder fronts. Before stainless, they were never noticed because they were invisible against bluing. On some other forums the members wax poetic about how scrupulous they are about getting rid of the "offending" color. To me and many others, they are a badge of a tool doing good work.

GP100man

Buckeye
If you can see the rings while shooting you`re doing it wrong , just kidding LOL!

I do clean mine once a yr. to take wear&tear measurements but for pure asthetic reasons NO.

I find if I clean em too good I hesitate to pull em out & shoot em !

wellthought

Bearcat
I just can't see how a plastic scotchbright pad could remove metal. I only shoot about once or twice a year and like to clean it up. I can't see metal being removed without wearing out the scotchbright pad first. Plastic can't remove or scratch metal.

k22fan

Blackhawk
wellthought said:
I just can't see how a plastic scotchbright pad could remove metal. [...] [Plastic can't remove or scratch metal.

That is like saying the paper in sand paper can't scratch or remove metal. At two cleanings a year $7 bag of fine bronze wool pads from Ace Hardware will last you a lifetime. Rather than me whipping a dead horse please reread my previous post.

woodsy

Blackhawk
wellthought said:
I just can't see how a plastic scotchbright pad could remove metal. I only shoot about once or twice a year and like to clean it up. I can't see metal being removed without wearing out the scotchbright pad first. Plastic can't remove or scratch metal.
The abrasive particles are embedded right in the plastic matrix. That's why they are invisible. But they are still there. I use them for finishing furniture, and they DO cut.

black029

Single-Sixer
If you ever should trade the gun, maybe then you might consider a little polishing. Maybe.
Otherwise, why bother, they'll just get fouled every time you go to the range.

Walter Rego

Single-Sixer
I have found that once you get the cylinder face spotless, that maintaining it is fairly easy. Here is my method and it won't work for those in a hurry: Leave a thin film of Corrosion-X on all areas that accumulate firing residue. You will find that most of the powder residue will then wipe right off with a little Hoppes No. 9 and what doesn't will if you leave it wet for a little while to let the solvent work. I remove the cylinder, stand it upright, dab the face well with cotton swabs soaked with solvent and let it sit overnight and then wipe off. That usually removes 95% of the burn marks. That last 5% can be removed with a tiny bit of Flitz. I don't like using more abrasive methods and this also eliminates a whole lot of elbow grease.
Let the solvent do the work !

Rodfac

Blackhawk
So does it shoot any better??? I clean mine to maintain their utility, and don't need them to look like a collector's prize. Hell, with the current practice of including a spent cartridge case in the shipping box, guns don't arrive from the factory without the ring. Rod

cadillo

Blackhawk
pisgah said:
6gun said:
No thanks, bad Idea scotch bright a abrasive, abrasives remove metal, use a lead cloth works just as fast and is not a abrasive.

Lead cloth is definitely abrasive. Very, very fine abrasive, true, but a abrasive all the same. But your arm will fall off before you remove enough metal with lead cloth or Scotchbrite to hurt anything.

I dunno. I use those little green pads pads when refinishing military stocks. I can generate a surprising amount of sawdust with one in short order. I wouldn't put it on a blued gun, unless I intended to strip it to white.

pisgah

Buckeye
cadillo said:
pisgah said:
6gun said:
No thanks, bad Idea scotch bright a abrasive, abrasives remove metal, use a lead cloth works just as fast and is not a abrasive.

Lead cloth is definitely abrasive. Very, very fine abrasive, true, but a abrasive all the same. But your arm will fall off before you remove enough metal with lead cloth or Scotchbrite to hurt anything.

I dunno. I use those little green pads pads when refinishing military stocks. I can generate a surprising amount of sawdust with one in short order. I wouldn't put it on a blued gun, unless I intended to strip it to white.

It is available in a wide range of grits. The fine grits are for polishing, and those are the ones you use. I use them only on stainless guns.

wellthought

Bearcat
If the scotchbright pads that I use remove metal then my baking pans would have holes in them all over the place. My scotchbright pads are made of some kind of plastic material. I just don't see how it could remove metal; however, I could see it removing bluing. But, I'm using it on stainless steel and only about two or three times a year and without much "elbow" grease. I just like my guns to look nice and clean all over.

Latest posts