removing light rust

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
ok, i have used 0000 wool and rem oil is what i had, with a little flitz too. there still looks like frecks on the gun but when i run my finger over them its smooth. to explain the best i can is, if i took the cylinder or top strap in my hand now and closed my eyes i can't feel the rust or where it is or was, with a light i can see the small frecks there but they are smooth. do i need to do more? also i have been told a pencil eraser will work, will it? have i got it done or do i continue?with it smooth now i really don't know. it wasn't bad to begin with as it was barely felt but i call it freckling. thanks

Beaver Creek

Single-Sixer
Find your nearest Amway distributor (gotta be one nearby). Ask for Amway Scrub Buds. 3 to a pack and not cheap but will be the best investment you make. Substitutes work but not as good. Use it dry at first and after the rust spot disappears wipe with CLP or your other favorite lubricant.

Montelores

Buckeye
By the way, the "linguini" steel wool from Brownell's is stainless.

Monty

P.S. I recall reading somewhere about these Chore Boy copper wool scrubbing pads for rust removal:

http://www.choreboyscrubbers.com/Products/Ultimate%20Scrubbers%20Pure%20Copper.aspx

Maybe someone can chime in on their effectiveness.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i have had several messages wanting to see exactly what i mean by freckling, i couldn't get a good enough pic on my own gun but found a pic online that is just about exactly like mine. except for the trigger and hammer, in the pic this gun has a rusty trigger and hammer mine is nice and clean and shiny. but on the cylinder and frame are what mine looks like, just spots here and there, now after cleaning, the spots are smooth and can't be felt. here is the pic, thanks

the spots will always be there ,so just keep it oiled......the spotting in the finish will only be removed by buffing and polishing out the surface, and surrounding area...sometimes a cold blue can be used and the spots will change colors, ,but under a GOOD light, you will still "see' the differences, and 'cold blues' are only temporary, may wipe or clean off quite easily.......bottom line is, the "integrity" of the surface of the metal has been compromised by "rust"...remember the blued finish of a firearm is ONLY "controlled oxidation" in itself. :wink:
The "compromising" also, in time becomes what folks like to call "patina" and when it is ALL the same ( matches) can look decent, BUT it's still "wrong" 8)
Patina is "fine" on antique lamps, but not firearms...... :roll:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i wanted to thank everyone for their help, i got all the little specks down smooth. i went in my back yard today and fired a few rds of 158 grain sp and 125 grain sp, the 125 were about 1 inch lower at 10 yds. this gun is really something, its a fixed sight but it hits dead on. i put either the 158 or the 125 in less than 2 inches at 10yds off handed using 2 hand grip. the remington 125 soft point are accurate and i'm glad my friend let me get them at a good price. i still prefer the federal 158 soft point tho. thanks again

glw3151

Bearcat
Just used Blue Wonder on a blued lever gun with some moderate frackling spots on the receiver. Degreased receiver. Applied blue wonder and allowed it to sit for a while. Heated the receiver until the Blue Wonder started to melt and then gentley rubbed affected area with bronze wool. Worked really well. http://www.bluewonder.us/RustRemovalwithBlueWonderGunCleaner.html