Recent purchase of a Factory plated SC6

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
chet15 said:
You know, some of the Super Single-Sixes I've seen have a label on the end that says chrome.

If you look at the pics of mine (formerly flatgate's), you can see a sticker on the end of the box.

That reads "C-H-R-O-M-E" and the shipper also has "CHROME" written in pencil above the rubber stamp.

Yet that invoice shown clearly says "SC6 NICKEL PLATED SERIAL NOS."

Don Garlitz

Bearcat
I Actually Have had Two of these and Both Boxes Where marked Nickel. The stickers were in a little diffrent place on the box end, but the same sticker. one of mine was Shipped in the early group and one later as I remember. I sent one to Louisiana some time back. The one pictured is still in my collection. This one is Mint No flaking at all! :D
163678232.jpg

chet15

Hawkeye
Well, I'll be darned! That's the first "NICKEL" sticker I think I've ever seen. I wonder if the sticker is dependent on when the guns were shipped? The first guns left in 1965 and then the final batch went out in 1968.
Chet15

Don Garlitz

Bearcat
That could be Chad but if I remember correctly one was in the 65 batch and the other was in the 68 batch? One came out of Alabama and the other from Wisconsin. Since I had two the same I figured they were correct. I have seen another box with that sticker in a picture but cant remember where? Both the ones i had the boxes were numbered to the gun and both looked to have been numberd at the factory. They sure are neat guns! And one of my all time favorite single sixes. :wink:

would like to "see" them in better lighting as those two guns above BOTH look like 'chrome'...the one Laura has that will NOT letter was in a box that had the 'chrome' sticker, and the guys at the plating shop said it definitely is a chromed gun............when you lay them next to each other ( chrome and or nickel) , the difference is obvious.............picture taking of plated guns is tough as they pick up and reflect any colors in the reflections of the area, throw it all off......
bottom line, NICE guns.....................

radicalrod

Hunter
Gosh I don't think my two "chrome" SC6's have a sticker on either box :( :( :( BUT they are consecutively numbered with one being a single cylinder gun :lol: :lol: :lol: After I acquired this pair I sold a NON inc gun that I believe now lives with Ruger Boi.....RR.

chet15

Hawkeye
Beaver Creek said:
This is the one Don sent to Louisiana, also with the Nickel sticker and the WMR box. It was one of the late shipped guns July 1968.

SC6Nic.jpg

Yep, 1968 makes sense for that box also, but that's also the first time I've seen a nickle gun in that box...and with that nickel sticker! Learning all kinds of stuff!!
Beaver Creek...can't quite see the sn on that one. Let me know what it is so I can make that note in the reference.
I note also a brown extra cylinder box for your '68 shipped gun. Our '68 gun was 504995 and had a white cylinder box.
Chet15

Don Garlitz

Bearcat
Seems Collectors have been calling them Nickel for many years! Great post! Oh yea Beaver Creek I want that one Back. :wink: Remember these guns were at the factory for a while before they decided to assemble and sell them. I belive they most likley stikerd the boxes at diffrent times, and in some cases not at all. Nickel or chrome they are a really neat part of Ruger history! And thru this Forum , By sharing Info and pictures we learn more everyday.
395464856.jpg

395464855.jpg

395464854.jpg

Beaver Creek

Single-Sixer
Don Garlitz said:
Seems Collectors have been calling them Nickel for many years! Great post! Oh yea Beaver Creek I want that one Back. :wink: Remember these guns were at the factory for a while before they decided to assemble and sell them. I belive they most likley stikerd the boxes at diffrent times, and in some cases not at all. Nickel or chrome they are a really neat part of Ruger history! And thru this Forum , By sharing Info and pictures we learn more everyday.
395464856.jpg

395464855.jpg

395464854.jpg

Oh no Don. She is quite happy here in the swamps with her cousins. Chad for your records this is #506307. #506109 resides down here too but I can't disclose the owner unless he wants to chime in.

chet15

Hawkeye
Thanks Beaver Creek. My notes show your gun as being one of 23 shipped to Dayton, Ohio on 7/8/68.
Chet15

RugerBoi

Single-Sixer
:shock: Hey RR, I'm not sure the SC6 I have was once yours, I got mine from a Corvette owner named Dave....It (the 1968 version) has a lower serial number than the 1965 version I got out of another member farther north... the 68 is sn 502165 and letters as shipped in 68. The 65 vintage non convertible is sn 506175 and has some flaws....The 68 convertible has the Xed out numbers on the extra cylinder and the new number stamped (prior to croming). The 68 is minty perfect with the wax paper and all including shipper like WMG's pictured above....I've got to get a camera and get with the program here....RB

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey RB, If you got it from Dave I used to own it.....XXX'ed out numbers on the extra cylinder and no inc on the barrel.....Dave also ended up with my 1965 Vette......BUt I got ALL HIS RUGERS :lol: :lol: :lol: except that one......RR

RugerBoi

Single-Sixer
:D Now that Ruger Nuts is what friend are for! Thanks Randy, I forgot you had those archived..And RR you got all the Rugers except that one and some white grips, and a lighter with some thievery reference by Bill Ruger...RB

americal

Hunter
GOOD GRIEF :!: :!: What a fine Ruger those grips as good as i've seen on a SC6 of any kind 8) those X outs just makes it better.

RugerBoi

Single-Sixer
:D Thanks Americal...that's one that really looks good on the "Ships Wheel Display" I had at the Boise show, and plan to take to the Puyallup one comming up in May...I had the cylinder hanging on a string loop with the gun, but not many knew to look at that goofy stamping...RB