rarest Rugers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Terry T

Buckeye
It's my understanding the Stainless, low back, 6" Security Six is "rare" with only a couple known at this time.
Here's my set of stainless low backs:

1706054212687.jpeg

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Then there are those that were made in higher quantities but there are few, or possibly only one, left.

Western Australia Police have a tactical division similar to our SWAT that was allowed to carry .357 Mag while the regular cops were restricted to .38 Special. They didn't want Revolver Envy at the range, so they special ordered Speed Sixes with no caliber designation, just "W.A. POLICE" on the right side of the barrel. They also specified a custom finish to the stainless. I chatted with a retire W.A.P. officer who recalled that the force eventually changed to semi-autos. But prior to that, in the wake of that Tasmanian mass shooting, the Aussies passed a new law that outlawed the sale or re-export of handguns not meeting a strict set of guidelines. So all of the old revolvers were destroyed. He thought this one might very well be the only one left in the world. This was retained by the factory until 2009 as a "cabinet gun", then released without ceremony during a big clean out.

GS-32-WA-POLICE-Right.jpg

chet15

Hawkeye
OK Ruger experts, inspired by the recent posting of the 15" 44 OM Blackhawk

What are the rarest Ruger guns.... I remember reading about a 10/22 that left the factory with no rifling what other rarities are out there?

We had a low back Service Six factory Second without rifling as well.
Have also heard of other models without rifling.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
I also have what I suspect is a one of 1: A Gold Label presented to an employee as a 20th year employment anniversary gift.
It may be one of one. Ruger employees however usually picked the Ruger that was offered at the time with the highest MSRP, so there maybe be a few gold label 20 anniversary guns.
Your RB-103 U.S. marked auto would certainly rank high up on this list!
Chet15

Then there are those that were made in higher quantities but there are few, or possibly only one, left.

Western Australia Police have a tactical division similar to our SWAT that was allowed to carry .357 Mag while the regular cops were restricted to .38 Special. They didn't want Revolver Envy at the range, so they special ordered Speed Sixes with no caliber designation, just "W.A. POLICE" on the right side of the barrel. They also specified a custom finish to the stainless. I chatted with a retire W.A.P. officer who recalled that the force eventually changed to semi-autos. But prior to that, in the wake of that Tasmanian mass shooting, the Aussies passed a new law that outlawed the sale or re-export of handguns not meeting a strict set of guidelines. So all of the old revolvers were destroyed. He thought this one might very well be the only one left in the world.
another great piece of info

chet15

Hawkeye
I would think that the M77 in .416 Taylor and the Ruger No. 1 .458, with I believe either a 16" or 18" barrel would be up there.
There were probably 12-14 of the.416 Taylor in the M77 made.
Haven't heard of a 16"/18" Number 1 in .458, but a non prefix #1 in .458 would definitely be high on a rarity list!!
Chet15

We had a low back Service Six factory Second without rifling as well.
Have also heard of other models without rifling.
Chet15

I knew a deputy sheriff ~50 years ago, who purchased a new S&W Model 19 (I believe there was a corporate discount program for LEOs at the time). When he received his revolver, he discovered it had no rifling - being a shooter rather than a collector, he returned it to S&W.

Not being a lawyer, I was never sure how the law might treat such short-barrel smooth bores.

As always IIRC, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Not being a lawyer, I was never sure how the law might treat such short-barrel smooth bores.
Not a lawyer either, but I recall a smoothbore Redhawk being offered on RIA 10-15 years ago and several days before the auction, it disappeared. I presume they either figured it out or were informed by someone.

chet15

Hawkeye
do you have more info on the lightweight .357?

Ruger worked on one in R&D in 1990 or 1991 prior to working on the Lightweight Single-Six project. At least four cylinder frames were made out of a high strength aluminum alloy, with only one gun believed to have been produced, a prototype bearing serial number KA34 on the bottom of the cylinder frame ahead of the trigger guard.
After this, Ruger decided to R&D some aluminum framed New Model Lightweight Single-Sixes. There were four or five prototypes completed of this, with some having adjustable sights and the others having fixed sights of the Old Model type with drift adjustable rear sight. The project came to a halt when Ruger shuttered their doors at the Southport factory in July 1991.
Chet15