rarest Rugers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
One of five stainless Police Service Six revolvers made with 5" barrel as RCMP samples for eval.

GF35-157-21051-1.jpg

The Florida Highway Patrol used to prefer 5" .357 revolvers, with nickel plating. Some of the handguns they purchased and issued were "off the shelf" (like 5" nickel S&W Model 27s). Others were not, like factory 5" nickel Model 28s (just over a couple dozen in existence) and IIRC some Model 19s or Colts. It's probably worth watching for the latter!

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, IIRC, etc.
:)

There are literally dozens and dozens, perhaps hundreds, of so called ONE OFF Ruger's in existence, employee specials, both authorized and not authorized -most of which will NOT letter and many other engineering samples, test guns, variations that were authorized and NOT authorized (officially). For example, the tool room prototype engineer would make one-offs based on requests from WBR, WBR Jr., and other higher ups for whatever reasons that can be imagined. Many were made to decide the viability of the design, some were made to determine manufacturing efficiencies or ways to improve (i.e. minimize) manufacturing costs. WBR and WBR Jr. would gift guns to friends, acquaintances as they wanted as the factory were owned and controlled by them. These guns would be made with special features based on the tastes of the individual receiving the gift, the employees were allowed to make guns that were one offs, and because teh employees knew each other and Newport was a very small town, you could buy a standard catalog item at employee, i.e. wholesale price, and get it customized by asking the individual departments to do you a favor by adding a special feature or a child's birthday as the serial number.

There are usually more than one…especially of the official prototypes and many have been sold off to the employees over the years, and are even now, trickling out…the Pilorget is a good example, there are more around than the collectors want to think as many of them are owned by retired employees after the old man decided to sell them off, as they were just taking up space and WBR "wasn't going to pay anyone a royalty!" My understanding is they intentionally under estimated the quantity of prototypes and regular production guns that were actually made, so that the payment to Monsieur Pilorget would be minimized. ( My understanding is the original agreement only allowed for a "few" revolvers to determine the effectiveness of the system prior to any agreements being finalized.)

A good example of this is the custom framed Sefried revolver that Mr. Deerstalker owns, it doesn't say Ruger anywhere on it, is it an official Ruger prototype? will it Letter? Or did Sefried simply use some Ruger factory parts and make them in his own machine shop or unofficially at the Ruger factory???

gnappi

Single-Sixer
There are only 77 of those.
Chet15
I know. Since the day I got it, I ALWAYS wanted a Bisley and almost traded it for one in blue but I did not.

A while back I found a Bisley grip frame for it and I like shooting it better now! I kept the original grip frame in the box.

Attachments

• ruger_blackhawk_45_convertible_r.jpg
    ruger_blackhawk_45_convertible_r.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 37

chet15

Hawkeye
"A pair of single sixes that have the same serial number. The dealer sent them back to the factory and Bill add an L to one and an R to the other. When ask one is for left and the other is for right."

Do you have a picture of those? Do you have any documentation? That's the sort of thing Chad needs to have for the RENE Guide!
It is in the guide... RSS5 serial numbers 138946L and138946R. The same guy that has those two also has matching serial numbered guns in two other pairs as well, 4xxxxx range Single-Sixes. No D stamp on any of them.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
A good example of this is the custom framed Sefried revolver that Mr. Deerstalker owns, it doesn't say Ruger anywhere on it, is it an official Ruger prototype? will it Letter? Or did Sefried simply use some Ruger factory parts and make them in his own machine shop or unofficially at the Ruger factory???
It is a Harry Sefried special, made in his basement.
Chet15

muzzymomentless

Bearcat
Do stainless and walnut Lipseys mk 2 and Hawkeye RSIs count as rare?
I have 3.
260 and 243 are NIB and my 3006 has been fired but as new.
Sure would like to have the same in 308.

Not sure about rarity on some of my paddle stocks, but there's a lot of folks wanting the 260 and 7.62x39 that I have.
I've got some of the same rifles in 3006, 6.5x55 swede, 250 savage, 7x57, and 243

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
It wouldn't be unusual for the 42 gun and 103 gun to be so far apart... the features they have are not stock... the subscribers customized them before they show a final ship date.... the color buff finish... Super Blackhawk grip frame and/or Zebrawood grip panels. Maybe that was the only two done like that.
Chet15
Was there someone who subscribed to the #42 guns? Just curious as I have MK678US #42.

Latest posts