Rare Ruger 3" Speed Six Stainless

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I got out bid in the last few minutes, the price really went up.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=538549551

I haven't seen these very often and had no idea it would go for that kind of money. That's the second Speed Six I've missed in 24 hours. I thought there was enough spread on the other one that I didn't need to hit the buy now button but someone else decided not to risk it and ended my dream. That one was the standard 2-3/4". Glad I've got one any way but... If one is good two is better. :)

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I've got a couple stainless Service Sixes in 2 3/4 I guess i will have to be happy with. I thought of round butting them but when you compare Rugers square buttt to their round butt you realize there is but a little difference. Glad I got mine when they were far more reasonable.

Terry T

Buckeye
"BearPaw",
I watched that 3" close - two guys got into a "bidding war". Will be interesting to see if it's relisted in 2 or 3 weeks because of a 'non performing buyer' with buyer's remorse. $810 + $30 shipping + FFL fees seems a bit strong to me. :shock:
Terry T

I was watching it also but from a quick look at the pictures I didn't really see anything that told me it was a 3" barrel. When I first saw it and didn't really think it was a 3", I "asked the seller a question" and asked him to measure it and even told him how to measure it and like most times, I never received an answer so I just put it out of my mind.

However, I did just go back and look at it again and compared it to one of mine while holding it and I now can see the difference in the slope of the ejector rod housing and it is more sloped than mine (a 2 3/4) so I guess I was wrong about it. That said, I still wouldn't pay $810 for it.

I also questioned that it was truly 3".
It seems to be so.

And although a couple hundred more than the standard 2-3/4" model, I don't think the price was terrible for a gun that if you went looking, you might not ever find one again at any price. Regardless of the price, other than this one I don't know where there's even a single one available anywhere.

My problem, although I can rationalize paying a bit too much, that can get me more involved in a bidding war than I'd like. $810 can become 900 or a thousand really quick.

WAYNO.

hittman

Staff member
About every Speed Six I've seen for sale locally was advertised as a 3-inch.

None of them were.

$800 plus is too rich for my blood; even if he would have posted a pic of the gun with a tape measure to verify.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Ruger should take notice of how much people are willing to pay for a 30 year old Speed Six. At $800.00 a pop surely there is profit to be had there. Most people I have seen going nuts over them are buying them to carry, not just put in the safe.

finesse_r

Single-Sixer
The only reason some rare variations Speed six brings 800 or 1250 is because of their rarity. If Ruger starts making them again the price would fall, and be close to what a 2 ¾ inch .357 sells for.

The Speed six is one of my favorite SS guns and I have some in 2 ¾". One in .357, one in .38, and one in 9mm. I would not sell the 9mm for $1,000 as it would take that or more to replace it. The .357 I value at about $600 and the .38 at about $550. All are in very good condition. Currently have what I want so I am neither a buyer or seller, unless of course I spot one at a ridiculously low price, or someone makes me a ridiculously high offer to buy.

I think depending on condition the SS 2 ¾ Speed six in .357 will sell for from $475 to $700 depending on condition (ranging from scruffy to NIB).

I think depending on condition the Blued Speed 2 ¾ six in .357 will sell for from $425 to $675 depending on condition (ranging from scruffy to NIB).

I think depending on condition the SS 2 ¾ Speed six in .9mm will sell for from $900 to $1250 depending on condition (ranging from scruffy to NIB).

Some rare issues will bring more. I don't have a clue about the 3', but as rare as they are they would have to bring a real premium over the 2 ¾ in. This is a collector premium, as I really like the 2 ¾" and I would not pay a penny more for that extra ¼ inch, but then I buy the Speed Six as a self defense gun, not as something to collect.

In general on the Six series, the 2 ¾ brings a premium of $100 to $150 over the 4 inch. The SS brings a premium of about $50 to $75 over the blued.

For my money the six series are the most under priced revolver available today, and they are still under valued due to the fact that Ruger sold so very many of them and they are almost indestructible. My favorites Six Series Revolvers are the 2 ¾ in Speed Six and the 4 inch Security Six. Both truly great revolvers.

Unlike most guns the Ruger Six Series seem to get better the more you shoot and use them. The point when other guns are starting to have problems the Six Series Revolvers are just getting broken in good.

bogus bill

Hunter
My Lockheed guard department had the 4" speed six. That round butt felt great in the hand.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
My point is, people are perfectly happy to pay the same as a new GP-100 or SP-101 for a used, common model Speed Six. Ruger should take note of that and bring it back or at least give us a suitable replacement. No, a short barrel GP-100 doesn't cut it nor does the SP-101 which is a heavy five shot.

bogus bill

Hunter
In a 357 I always liked a K frame over the N frame in smiths and a colt trooper size frame over the heavy New Service frames. When you carry one all day it makes a difference. I already am carrying at least 70 pounds too much. If that speed six has the round butt I would soon find the wood service grips for it, thats what we had and I do have fairly big hands. I used to own a colt lighting and they felt close to the same in the hand. Always liked em. I own a s&w 66-3 with a round butt but it`s bigger than the speed six round butts we had at work.

holo07

Single-Sixer
finesse_r said:
The only reason some rare variations Speed six brings 800 or 1250 is because of their rarity. If Ruger starts making them again the price would fall, and be close to what a 2 ¾ inch .357 sells for.

The Speed six is one of my favorite SS guns and I have some in 2 ¾". One in .357, one in .38, and one in 9mm. I would not sell the 9mm for $1,000 as it would take that or more to replace it. The .357 I value at about $600 and the .38 at about $550. All are in very good condition. Currently have what I want so I am neither a buyer or seller, unless of course I spot one at a ridiculously low price, or someone makes me a ridiculously high offer to buy.

I think depending on condition the SS 2 ¾ Speed six in .357 will sell for from $475 to $700 depending on condition (ranging from scruffy to NIB).

I think depending on condition the Blued Speed 2 ¾ six in .357 will sell for from $425 to $675 depending on condition (ranging from scruffy to NIB).

I think depending on condition the SS 2 ¾ Speed six in .9mm will sell for from $900 to $1250 depending on condition (ranging from scruffy to NIB).

Some rare issues will bring more. I don't have a clue about the 3', but as rare as they are they would have to bring a real premium over the 2 ¾ in. This is a collector premium, as I really like the 2 ¾" and I would not pay a penny more for that extra ¼ inch, but then I buy the Speed Six as a self defense gun, not as something to collect.

In general on the Six series, the 2 ¾ brings a premium of $100 to $150 over the 4 inch. The SS brings a premium of about $50 to $75 over the blued.

For my money the six series are the most under priced revolver available today, and they are still under valued due to the fact that Ruger sold so very many of them and they are almost indestructible. My favorites Six Series Revolvers are the 2 ¾ in Speed Six and the 4 inch Security Six. Both truly great revolvers.

Unlike most guns the Ruger Six Series seem to get better the more you shoot and use them. The point when other guns are starting to have problems the Six Series Revolvers are just getting broken in good.

Very well said i agree. I paid $450.00 for a 2 3/4" SS .357 and feel like I stole it

lovemydals

Buckeye
finesse_r said:

I acquired a 200th Year Liberty SS-92 (blued Speed-Six 9mm with 2 3/4") & wish I only had to pay $1250. Rarity does pay a part in price (this SS-92 is the only one known at this time) & so does live auction bidding wars. Did I pay too much? Depends. I collect Speed-Sixes & this one filled a spot in my display. See the attached photos.

lmd

bogus bill

Hunter
I had a new female guard relieve me. I had a speed six. I opened the cylinder and handed the gun to her. She one handed flicked the cylinder closed like in a old detective movie. I admonished her right away, "Ya don't do it like that!" She looked at the gun and sure enough, the crane was sprung and the cylinder wouldn't close!