Quality of current SP 101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jack76590

Bearcat
I am considering buying an SP 101 with the 3" barrel. Not many in stock around my area.

I really like to examine new revolvers before I buy. Hate to have to sent to Ruger to correct crooked sights, end shake, etc.

But with lack of 3" models on dealers shelves I may special order. So my question is - how is the quality of the current crop of SP 101s? Can I expect to receive a good one if I special order? I hate to special order and then refuse to accept from dealer. Thanks.

Hugh

Buckeye
I bought my 2-1/4" SP-101 on Jan 23, 2009 and have a little over 2500 through it; both .38 Spl and .357 Magnum. It shoots where it's pointed. The trigger is long but smooth in double action. Single action is at least as good as my four single action Ruger revolvers. I replaced the grips with Trausch grips in the spring of 2009.

I like it, and it is a keeper.

I recently purchased a ten year old 3-1/16" SP-101 .357 that I've only shot 25 .357 Magnum cartridges through. It shoots where it's pointed too. I like it and have ordered Trausch grips for it as well.

Don't know where you are, but Cabelas in Lehi, Utah had several, seven I believe, SP-101's two days ago. One was 4" .327. I believe three each 2-1/4" and 3-1/16". Prices between $450 or so and $500 something.

recumbent

Buckeye
About a month and a half ago I bought a SP101 3 inch in 327 federal magnum, it is perfect I love it.

I've shot 500 rounds thru it no problems at all....I'm a happy camper. :D

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I have 2 sp101's bought within the last year. Both are great. No problems at all with either but both are the 2 1/4" with exposed hammer's.

A

Anonymous

Glad to see that folks are loving their SP101's. I put in a request to Santa for the 2.25" DAO.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
A friend and I were talking the other day, and we're thinking maybe Ruger's days of "customer implemented quality control" (aka, "Ship Everything!") might be over. That is, we're seeing fewer reports of bad guns, and better quality in the guns we actually get in our hands. His recent Mini-14 was flawless, as have been a couple of examples I've looked at. I'm hoping the SBH I have coming this week also falls into this category.

-- Sam

deeczman

Bearcat
jack76590 said:
I am considering buying an SP 101 with the 3" barrel. Not many in stock around my area.

I really like to examine new revolvers before I buy. Hate to have to sent to Ruger to correct crooked sights, end shake, etc.

But with lack of 3" models on dealers shelves I may special order. So my question is - how is the quality of the current crop of SP 101s? Can I expect to receive a good one if I special order? I hate to special order and then refuse to accept from dealer. Thanks.

I know a guy who wants to trade a ruger like this for a compact or fullsize glock. It comes with a nice holster and he shot a believe 45 rds is all. Just post if you have glock to trade him.Better to PM me so i can talk to himHere is his discription of the ruger.

WTT: Ruger stainless SP101 3in. .357mag

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(NOT FOR SALE) Trade only. Bought it new has maybe 45 rounds through it. Dont use it so it needs a new home. Has new Meprolight front sight, Hogue grip,(original included). Have all paperwork and original box what came with new. Don Hume holster in pic included for the right Glock.

IF IT AINT A GLOCK< I AINT INTERESTED...[/u]

Spike12

Bearcat
I looked at a new SP in my LGS and its cylinder lock up and run out was the tightest I've ever seen in a production gun. Almost bought it just for that fact.

loiblb

Single-Sixer
My two year old SP 101 shoots and does that job well. Very solid well made gun in the 2 1/4".
But had to learn to stick with .38 not 357 mag loads.
The liitle gun can take 357 mag rounds but my middle finger tells me to shoot .38's. :p