powder measure for Lee turret press

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
Looking for options to replace the Lee powder measure that came with the classic turret press. My main complaints are that fine powders like H110 spill out during use and the adjustable charge bar doesn't have the capacity to load 454 casull.
I would like to stick with a dispenser that can be used on the Press.
Any suggestions?

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I am assuming that the measure is the Auto disk which likely came with a bundle or kit. I got a Pro Auto Disk for my turret. It is a similar measure but is supposed to have a teflon coating that minimizes powder leakage. I get just a little bit of leakage. Not enough to worry about. The stand alone perfect powder measure I have leaks a lot with some powders.

I ditched the adjustable charge bar and use the disks. I get much more consistent powder throws with the disks. I find I can get close enough with the predrilled disks for my purposes. Some buy extra disks and drill out a smaller opening to get exactly the throw they want.

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
I have the pro auto disc and not pleased with the amount of leakage I get with H110. And I don't like the fact the discs don't give me the fine adjustability I want working up loads. Just thinking maybe one of the other press manufacturers had one that would work better on the Lee turret

Rusty W

Single-Sixer
I use a Hornady or RCBS with the case activated feature. I'm using a Classic Cast Turret with 4 stations. The good thing about the Lee set up is the expander/powder drop arrangement. I use the Lyman "M" die so it takes away 1 station. If you seat & crimp in the same step it works, if you crimp separate you'll have to use a PTX on the case activated part or swap to a crimp die and run them through again. Not cheap but I use the Uniflow & Hornady on different presses and the lil Lee runs outta room when loading 243's & 308's or 06's.

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
I have the pro auto disc and not pleased with the amount of leakage I get with H110. And I don't like the fact the discs don't give me the fine adjustability I want working up loads. Just thinking maybe one of the other press manufacturers had one that would work better on the Lee turret
There have been people who successfully worked up a mount for other powder measures for use on the Lee Turret. I don't have a link handy, sorry.

You can make the disks adjustable by the simple expedient of drilling and tapping a hole in the side of one of the cavities. Then run a machine screw into the hole so the nose of the screw protrudes into the cavity. Infinitely adjustable.

Put the Lee Funnel in place of the Lee Auto-Disk Measure, then using a dipper in conjunction with a scale and trickler works, too. With only a bit of lost time. A tapped hole in the bottom of a Lee dipper and a screw can make it adjustable, as well.

Lost Sheep

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
Excellent ideas and thanks for the link. I like the idea of the separate setup and I could easily build some sort of base to mount a better dispenser above a powder funnel and just put it away when not loading large case capacity rounds. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Rusty W

Single-Sixer
That set up with the Lee PPM will work with extruded powders, I load my 45/70 with 50ish gr of 3031 & the PPM is most accurate and no crunch like the RCBS or Hornady. Using it w/H110 is going to have you digging deep into your vocabulary each time you move the handle. I'd wager you'll want a dustpan handy unless there's some trick I haven't seen yet.

john guedry

Single-Sixer
Lyman 55 has an adapter to screw into standard threaded hole for a die.(7/8x14?)

GP100man

Buckeye
Here`s what I do for my Lee auto disc .

1 make sure your discs are flat top & bottom .
2 make sure they are the same thickness
3 reinforce the hopper , I use JB weld qwik set
4 adjust the body of the hoppers height by fileing the body down until your 12-15 thousands clearance between hopper & disc .

Takes a bit of time & patience to do but what I end up with is a powder measure that is exactly what I want.

Looks like this when I`m done .

For the larger cases I find a cavity that drops 1/2 what I`m lookin for or modify 1 to do so then hit it twice !
I cannot emphasize attention & care doing it this way enuff. & if your running the turret in auto index it won`t work for ya.

I hope this helps .

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
GP100man said:
For the larger cases I find a cavity that drops 1/2 what I`m lookin for or modify 1 to do so then hit it twice !
I cannot emphasize attention & care doing it this way enuff. & if your running the turret in auto index it won`t work for ya.

I hope this helps .
Good post, GP100man. Nice work on customizing and reinforcing the powder measure.

I have to tell you that you can short-stroke the press to get a double drop with the indexing rod and square ratchet in place (if you are careful) without destroying the ratchet.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
I use the Lyman 55 on all my turret presses................I have 5. Old measure, but they work great

thumbs

Single-Sixer
Not sure the exact name but I went with the Lee Perfect powder measure. It's one that stands alone and is adjustable. I noticed depending on the powder the disks just didn't drop accurate amounts. Now in stick powder it was great. Anyway for the powders the disc won't throw I use the turret press as a single stage press. Maybe a bit slower but powder drops are accurate.

These powder measures you guys are using are they mounted on the Lee Classic Turret press? Sure would be nice to get back to using the turret like it is supposed to be used.

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
thumbs said:
(edited for brevity) Anyway for the powders the disc won't throw I use the turret press as a single stage press. Maybe a bit slower but powder drops are accurate.

These powder measures you guys are using are they mounted on the Lee Classic Turret press? Sure would be nice to get back to using the turret like it is supposed to be used.
You don't have to drop back to single-stage operation with the turret even if you don't have a powder measure at all. Just put the funnel adapter on your powder-charging die and drop powder manually. It is slower, sure, but not so much slower as going back to batch processing.

Lost Sheep

Latest posts