Possible Problem With Winchester Primers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Personally, I would not load the .45LC to +P levels in a RP case. Neither does John Linebaugh. I'd keep the WLPs and load the RP brass to SAAMI levels ...(or toss 'em!) I have nothing but the highest praise for WW components. I can't say the same for "big green" and it seems EVERY MONTH there is a recall of some sort from Remington in the gun rags...(Sometimes more than one!) As I see it, when it comes to QC, Win and Rem aren't even in the same league anymore...

JMO in 45 years of handloading...

Gunleather

Bearcat
I just had this problem this weekend. First stage of the state championship SASS match 3rd pistol round fail to fire. I switched to my last box of 100 w/ CCI primers no problems the rest of the day. Day 2 of the match I had no choice but to use the ammo loaded with Winchester large pistol (45 Long Colt) primers. It happened 2 more times through out the day. Of course a fail to fire counts as a miss and adds 5 seconds to the raw time. Now I'm not to sure what I'm going to do with the other 500 rounds of 45 Long colt & the 800 rounds of 45 ACP I have loaded. I guess next time I can't find CCI or Federal primers I'll just do without.

anachronism

Single-Sixer
You do understand this is a two year old thread? Have you checked to make certain your primers are fully seated? This is the most common cause of misfires, followed distantly by tumbling media in flash holes. The easy way to tell is to try firing the cartridge a second time. If it fires, you'll want to re-examine your case priming procedures. I have never had an issue with Winchester primers myself, and I've used plenty of them over the years.

Chief 101

Hunter
a question for Gunleather...not meant to be critical of you or your reloading practices as I remember doing the same procedure for a match in 1978. Why would you load bulk ammo that had components in it that you had not tested? Like I said I learned my lesson, tho, when I load bulk ammo it usually will only be 200 rounds or less.

Gunleather

Bearcat
Yes I realize this is an old thread but when I did a google search on "Winchester primer problems" I got a huge list of hits. Rugers are the only hand guns in my safe (Blackhawk, Vaquero, SP101 & SR1911) so I thought I post here. Yes I checked my primer seat, I do that when I'm re-loading. I also do a primer check when I load my Vaquero's.

I did a bulk load because after months of not being able to find primers or lead I jumped on the chance to get all the loading for the summer season as soon as I could. I bought 2 bricks of primers the first chance I got. Ammo supplies are extremely hard to come by right now so you take what you get some times. I've been loading sense I was 14 and this is the first time I've ever used Win primers, it won't happen again.

Chief 101

Hunter
I have used Winchester primers and still have some, never had or heard of a problem...if I ever had a problem it was with CCI. The pistol primers were more difficult to ignite wtih a tuned revolver so I passed on them. This bizarre hoarding of reloading components has altered a lot of our precautions I guess, use what you can find. good luck

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Well, I had problems with Winchester primers last year when I first started reloading. Had a lot of failure to fire. Many, but not all, would fire when cycled a second time. Checked primer seating on the next batch, and still had problems. All were primed on a buddy's hand primer and failed in both his and my 9mm weapon. Switched to CCI and Federal primers and have not had a single failure since.

Not 100% sure it was the primers, but I have sworn off Winchesters. If I were out and Winchesters were available, I would try them again, but would be keeping a close eye on them.

Latest posts