P-89 Modification to P-95 Trigger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
Erwin buddy, how the H-E-Double Hockey Sticks are ya??!

For those who may not know, forum member "Airwin" is one hell of a great guy. Super nice, great human being. Thanks for all your help and kindness Erwin, publically stated. Hope life is treating you well my friend.

airwin

Bearcat
Hi TNR, thanks for compliments, all members here in this forum-family are nice guys! But what did you mean with H-E-Double Hockey Sticks?? You know, I´m not so familar with american acronyms- sorry :?:
Thanks I´m ok, hope you and your family too. I think to add an LCP to my collection in next few weeks, it is such a nice little gun, it looks like a toy for kids, but I has to wait till it is available again from my dealer.

roylt

Hunter
Hi Guys,
What about just swapping the P95 and P89/90 triggers. Will a 89 trigger work in a 95 or does the 95 need the extra "meat" for some reason. I haven't taken a 95 apart yet and thought I would ask.

Basically I have extra 89 triggers and could swap one into a 95 and then take the 95 trigger and put it in my 89.

What do you think? and thanks,

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
roylt said:
Hi Guys,
What about just swapping the P95 and P89/90 triggers. Will a 89 trigger work in a 95 or does the 95 need the extra "meat" for some reason. I haven't taken a 95 apart yet and thought I would ask.

Basically I have extra 89 triggers and could swap one into a 95 and then take the 95 trigger and put it in my 89.

What do you think? and thanks,

Uhhhh, why in the world would you wanna do THAT?

Oh, wait, ok... just re-read it. Still not sure I get it. That would still leave you with a 95 with a 89 trigger....? Why not just purchase a 95 trigger?

In any case, I don't have my 95 anymore so I'm not sure it would fit properly. I guess you would have to experiment.

roylt

Hunter
Hey John,
How did you make the stack up picture? I have several triggers and would like to try and figure out which would fit best.

P85, P89, P944 and I just won a P95 which isn't here yet.

The P944 looks to be a good choice. It isn't as bland as the 89 and not as curved as the 95. Sorta middle of the road.

If you have anyway to make a stacked picture of these that would help me out.

Thanks,

And to answer why. No real reason just experimenting a bit for fun.

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
roylt said:
Hey John,
How did you make the stack up picture? I have several triggers and would like to try and figure out which would fit best.

P85, P89, P944 and I just won a P95 which isn't here yet.

The P944 looks to be a good choice. It isn't as bland as the 89 and not as curved as the 95. Sorta middle of the road.

If you have anyway to make a stacked picture of these that would help me out.

Thanks,

And to answer why. No real reason just experimenting a bit for fun.

If by "stacked" you mean the side by side "overlay" of the P89/P95 triggers, I use an old version of Paint Shop Pro and I just incorporate layers. I don't know if you're familiar. If that's what you mean, I'd have to find a side view pic of a P94 trigger, I'll see what I can do.

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
roylt said:
Appreciate the offer! Thanks,

Can't find a pic of a P94 trigger to work with. If you or some other member can take a good macro pic/left side view of a 94 trigger and post it, I can work with it.

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
I also believe that the P94 and P944 triggers are slightly different, but probably only in that one has the cut-out for the swinging link while the other doesn't. I could be wrong, it's been known to happen :D

roylt

Hunter
Not sure what a macro pic is but would the pictures on these auctions help?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=231117234
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=230989313

Thanks,

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
roylt said:
Not sure what a macro pic is but would the pictures on these auctions help?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=231117234
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=230989313

Thanks,

The second one might. The 1st one I found already on a google search myself but if you look close, it's not a 94 trigger, it looks like an 89 trigger to me.

roylt

Hunter
You're right. Does it matter which side of the trigger? I'm sure I have a P944 trigger I can take a picture of.

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
Roy, man I'm real sorry, I don't get on here much at all anymore. That, coupled with the facts that I've been SUPER busy getting ready for a move, and that I don't check my e-mail very often makes it difficult to respond appropriately or promptly.
In any case, I see what you're saying about the extra "meat" on the 94 trigger. I think the best way to test wether or not a trigger will run in a p-series frame is to remove the trigger/triggerbar on the pistol you want to test fit, and just drop a trigger on in "dry" and pivot it back and forth and see if it moves as it should through the frame.
Having trouble with the pics you sent me, as I need pics without heavy shadows on either side to do a good overlay effect. Sorry : \

roylt

Hunter
This is low priority so no big deal either way. I will either take more pics or give it a try as you suggest. (When I have time)

Take care and good luck with your move. If it is out of CA be careful. Buying guns with no restriction in AZ is very addicting.

roylt

Hunter
So I finally had a chance to play around with the 89 with a 94 or 95 trigger.

I found that the 94 trigger is shaped a lot like the 95 but has extra meat to the rear that hits the frame on the 89 pistol. So I just dropped the 95 trigger in to see what would happen and it worked just fine. I didn't file out anything or mod it in any way.

Put the gun together and it seems to work just fine. The barrel link is the older style that requires the nipple on the guide rod if that makes any difference?

What do you see that hits? Am I missing something? Is moving the slide back etc manually different than actually firing the gun? The slide would move the same right so if it works at the bench it should work at the range OK too right?

Let me know if I missed something and really should go back and file the 95 trigger.

Thanks,

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
Roy, take a picture of your barrel and post it. I filed out the groove in the trigger on the advice of "airwin" who 1st performed this mod' his P. I don't have my 89 handy, but maybe there is just enough room to allow the link to just miss the trigger without the groove. My pistol is at home, I'm house-sitting, when I go home this weekend, I'll take a closer look at it. Right now, it's a mystery.

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
Maybe the groove was just a precautionary measure for "airwin", and I followed suit per his instructions, we'll see. In any case, a groove certainly wouldn't hurt. AND, the 89 looks much much better (imho) with the 95 drop-in (feels better too!).