"Other"?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Absolutely no interest in a shotgun with a pistol grip. @kmoore had the right idea with his short barrel 870 with a shoulder stock. For obvious reasons that was not an option for me.

I did buy a Mossberg 12 gauge bullpup, thinking I would use it deer hunting but it is too clunky. It made a dandy truck gun for a while though. Before that became illegal here.

I don't have a picture of mine, but it looks like this. View attachment 29167
That would definitely work for me!

You asked the question about shooting slugs in a pistol grip short barrel. My only experience is with 12g. No way, we tried it with giant guys. Worse case is they kart wheel out of the shooters hands. Even putting the non shooting hand on top of the barrel and pushing down. Maybe the 20ga will work, give it a try and let us know. IMO, I wouldn't try them.

After reading the last 2 posts I took mine out and shot a 2 3/4 inch slug and a 3 inch magnum 00 buckshot. The 3 inch had much more recoil than the slug. It didn't fly out of my hand and it didn't hurt my hand at all and I'm an old man. I have shot a pistol grip 12 gauge with heavy loads and they really put a hurting on your hand but this grip is a completely different animal. No pain at all.
20230908_105532.jpg

After reading the last 2 posts I took mine out and shot a 2 3/4 inch slug and a 3 inch magnum 00 buckshot. The 3 inch had much more recoil than the slug. It didn't fly out of my hand and it didn't hurt my hand at all and I'm an old man. I have shot a pistol grip 12 gauge with heavy loads and they really put a hurting on your hand but this grip is a completely different animal. No pain at all. View attachment 29345
I have to agree with you. The birds head grip lets the recoil swing with your hand rather than slam against your thumb and web of your hand like a regular pistol grip. You hold a Shockwave at waist level to fire it and don't brace the end of the grip against your hip. The scene in the movie El Dorado where James Caan fires the double barrel sawed off shotgun at the cactus is as close as I can describe the way to fire a Shockwave.

You guys maybe on to something I never thought about. In my examples the pistol grip was a true pistol grip, vertical down from the action. They may have known that and made those with the bird's head grip because it works whereas the vertical grip not as well. Add the strap to the pump, it must help you control the gun whereas my shotguns mentioned did not have either of those features. Good information.