Ruger AR556 fires only every other round.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Remdds

Bearcat
I understand what the video had to demonstrate, but I had NO difficulty in feeding ammo or ejecting ammo, brass or steel.
First round would feed and go bang. Second round never went bang. Eject the round that did not go bang and the next round went bang.
Repeat. Repeat.
It just doesn't sound like a feed issue to me, but I can be a dipstick.

hittman

Staff member
So it still has the same problem as before it went back to Ruger?
If so ..... another call to the mother ship is in order.

Ruger Nut

Single-Sixer
Remdds said:
I understand what the video had to demonstrate, but I had NO difficulty in feeding ammo or ejecting ammo, brass or steel.
First round would feed and go bang. Second round never went bang. Eject the round that did not go bang and the next round went bang.
Repeat. Repeat.
Read the replies these members had. It sounds A LOT like your problem.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_66/588703_Firing_problems_with_brand_new_AR____One_round_will_fire_next_round_will_not_over_and_over.html

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Remdds said:
Repeat. Repeat.

I think you need to eliminate the possibility that when firing the 1st round the action is cycling only enough to eject the 1st fired round & strip a new one from the magazine, but not sufficiently enough to cock the hammer. The distance the bolt must travel to accomplish the latter is greater than needed to perform the former. This should be very easy to check as outlined above and is akin to making sure the TV is plugged it when it seems to be broken.

It would seem to me a gas problem.

Remdds

Bearcat
Ruger Nut said:
Remdds said:
Repeat. Repeat.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_66/588703_Firing_problems_with_brand_new_AR____One_round_will_fire_next_round_will_not_over_and_over.html

The apparent concensus in the video seemed to be clean it. I did that before I sent it back to Ruger. Ruger says they honed the chamber and then they fired 10 rounds successfully. So I am sure it is fine now, though I have yet to fire it again. Thanks for the link though. You are correct, it sounded exactly like my problem, but a good cleaning didn't fix it. I was just hoping someone could tell me how honing fixed it.

Ruger Nut

Single-Sixer
Remdds said:
Ruger Nut said:
Remdds said:
Repeat. Repeat.

The apparent concensus in the video seemed to be clean it. I did that before I sent it back to Ruger. Ruger says they honed the chamber and then they fired 10 rounds successfully. So I am sure it is fine now, though I have yet to fire it again. Thanks for the link though. You are correct, it sounded exactly like my problem, but a good cleaning didn't fix it. I was just hoping someone could tell me how honing fixed it.
Do you know ANYTHING about honing?
Here is the definition of honing;
a precision tool with a mechanically rotated abrasive tip, for enlarging holes to precise dimensions.
Why do you need to hone a cylinder?
This will put a nice crosshatch pattern in the cylinder walls. The crosshatch pattern will hold oil and help lubricate the piston and rings as the rings wear in to the cylinder. That is mild. A cylinder hone can also be used to bore a cylinder to a bigger size and that is wild. (This HONING process is in reference to an engine cylinder being HONED, but is basically the same for the rifles chamber. Just think of the rifle chamber being an engine cylinder.)
Basically, they used a HONE to enlarge the chamber very slightly then it was before. At the same time, the HONE cleaned up the chamber of any irregular out of round areas that may have been there before. By using a HONE you can remove material (the chamber) in very small increments as opposed to using a BORE to remove larger amounts of material. The HONE left a very fine cross hatched area in the chamber making it more precise for your BCG to travel back and forth. I would almost bet that your BCG had A LOT to do with the rounds not firing and by HONING-AKA-cleaning the chamber area, this fixed the problem.
My suggestion to you, if you are not satisfied with my answer, is to take it upon yourself to go to GOOGLE and find the answers you seek on your own.

Remdds

Bearcat
No need to get ur panties in a knot. I know what honing is. I HAVE even watched your YouTube video on it. I was simply inquiring how that would fix the alternate firing I was experiencing. Nothing more. Nothing less. I had no failures to feed and no failures to extract. But thank you more your comments.

Ruger Nut

Single-Sixer
Remdds said:
No need to get ur panties in a knot. I know what honing is. I HAVE even watched your YouTube video on it. I was simply inquiring how that would fix the alternate firing I was experiencing. Nothing more. Nothing less. I had no failures to feed and no failures to extract. But thank you more your comments.
First of all, my reply meant nothing more than for you to go seek knowledge on the subject if my reply was not satisfactory. So, it seems your panties AND Depends have been in a knot, around your throat, since the beginning of this thread! See, I can be like you too, but just as bad. And, I will keep coming!
Now, if you want to get back on the subject, have you fired the AR since Ruger sent it back? Is it any better? I'm sure all of the members here would like to know, just in case this happens to someone else. I sure hope it's fixed, because it's a bad feeling without your rifle, and having to keep sending it back.

Latest posts