OM return condition

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
How rough does an OM need to be for them to deem it not worthy of the conversion and return? Have one I'm considering sending in for a reblue. It's ROUGH! not worth it to me to have it be a "non-returnable" one where they offer a NM at discount.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
If the gun still functions O.K. don't send it to Ruger for refinishing. Take it to your gunsmith, as though he may charge slightly more, the shipping charges will offset that.

Bob Wright

cadillo

Blackhawk
Bob Wright said:
If the gun still functions O.K. don't send it to Ruger for refinishing. Take it to your gunsmith, as though he may charge slightly more, the shipping charges will offset that.

Bob Wright

Sage advice!

best bet is just get the "free" shipping box, send it in on their dime and "ask" for a quote for a refinish job, they will tell you if they can or not........outside condition has little or no bearing on the safety update conversion, unless the gun is UNSAFE ( broken) ONLY they can tell you any of this ...unless you do as noted above, simply take it to the nearest gun shop that does "refinishing" and they will tell you one way or the other...I have YET to see one that we could NOT refinish, mainly because price is NO object, time, hand work (prep) and the ability to do the job "properly" is utmost........... 8) :roll: :wink:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Dan is exactly right. It's a no brainer; call, get the free shipping label for the conversion, ask for a refinish while they have it, and get free return shipping. Remove all your internal action parts including hammer and trigger before sending. They can't be condemned if Ruger doesn't even see them. I always remove the parts before sending.

You need to tell us what you mean by rough. Does it function and shoot now? Deep rust pitting or deep dents won't condemn a revolver. It's just that they might not be able to get the deepest marks polished out. But the gun will look like new for a price you can't match anywhere for a factory polish on the original factory equipment! If when they see the gun and say it's too far gone to refinish, which I can hardly imagine based on their work that I've seen, what have you lost? Nothing. When you get it back, remove the safety retrofit parts (or keep them in), put the original action parts back in it, no harm no foul.

You can still go seek a refinish elsewhere if you want.

cadillo

Blackhawk
I suspect that this may have been bandied about before, but for anyone who might not have heard of this type of situation, I'll relate the experience of a friend of mine.

He had a Ruger Mark II semiauto .22 handgun that would no longer function reliably. He sent it to Ruger for repair, and they called him saying that they would not do anything to the gun, and that they would not return it. To their credit, they asked him to forward an FFL to them, and that they would send him free of charge a brand new Mark III handgun of comparable model, trim etc.

While he was impressed, he wanted his old gun returned, but they would not hear of it, and he had to settle for the new Mark III.

I have several New Model Blackhawks, and I like them, but I LOVE my Old Model Blackhawks, and would NEVER EVER send one to Ruger for any reason out of fear that they might pull the same stunt on me. I would never trade my most heavily worn Old Model for any Brand New New Model, period.

Well, do you feel lucky?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
There's no luck involved.

Unfortunately the forums are rife with stories like these. But when it happens and it only happens if people are intimidated into surrendering their guns because they don't know their rights.

When I spoke with customer service, the supervisor told me that if they won't fix it they prefer to "take it out of circulation" but they WILL return it to me as 'un-repairable'. This is usually only due to a lack of replaement parts for old models. They cannot keep it unless I sign it over to them. If I don't and they don't return it, it's a stolen firearm, period. In the case of a replacement, they will only destroy a firearm after the customer has received the replacement AND given express written permission.

If you don't want to be "bought off" with a new gun, the final words are: "I want to speak to a supervisor." and "My attorney told me you cannot keep my property w/o my written permission and I'm not granting it."

Because Ruger chooses not to repair it, doesn't condemn the gun, any gun is repairable even if you have to weld two halves back together.

Jim

"I may be an attorney, but I'm not your attorney."

cadillo

Blackhawk
Hondo44 said:
There's no luck involved.

Unfortunately the forums are rife with stories like these. But when it happens and it only happens if people are intimidated into surrendering their guns because they don't know their rights.

When I spoke with customer service, the supervisor told me that if they won't fix it they prefer to "take it out of circulation" but they WILL return it to me as 'un-repairable'. This is usually only due to a lack of replaement parts for old models. They cannot keep it unless I sign it over to them. If I don't and they don't return it, it's a stolen firearm, period. In the case of a replacement, they will only destroy a firearm after the customer has received the replacement AND given express written permission.

If you don't want to be "bought off" with a new gun, the final words are: "I want to speak to a supervisor." and "My attorney told me you cannot keep my property w/o my written permission and I'm not granting it."

Because Ruger chooses not to repair it, doesn't condemn the gun, any gun is repairable even if you have to weld two halves back together.

Jim

"I may be an attorney, but I'm not your attorney."

Thank Heavens that you are not!

Also, I need no such advise, because as I wrote above, I will not send them any gun that they might not want to return.

While not an attorney, I have spent enough time in a courtroom as a case officer to know that by the time one enlists the services of an attorney, (s)he has already been out witted by one guy or gal, and are about to be fleeced for cash that should and would have remained in pocket had (s)he used the good sense (s)he was given at birth, with the end result being that no one but the attorney(s) win.

In short, any time one has to hire an attorney, (s)he can chalk the situation up as a loss, regardless of how the legal system rules.

This all reminds me of the story of eight year old Little Johnny, whose father told him that he was a piano player in a Cat House. Johnny mentioned it one day in front of the class, and Dad got a call to come see Johnny's teacher.

Confronted with Johnny's statement about his being a piano player in the Cat House, The Old Man told the teacher that it was all his own fault, because he was actually an attorney, "But how do you admit something like that to an eight year old son?"

So just pack up all those Three Screw Blackhawks and send them to Ruger for tuning and polishing. You just may get the harmonious outcome that you desire, and if not, you've got an attorney here on site for counsel.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
There's zero sentimental value to this so that's not the issue. It's more for getting it factory refinished so it can be sold. Functionality is fine but the finish and outward appearance is awful. My initial thoughts were that something internal may be warn enough for them to determine it's unrepairable. I suppose though that were a NM to be offered if it was the case, I wouldn't be in the red on it when sold.
As for local refinishing...nobody local that's good enough anymore. One a ways away does nice work but is $$$. This is no collectable at all; it's 100% shooter grade and I'm not one that's all uptight about sending it to them knowing it'll get the transfer bar.
Guess I'll try and give 'em a call later in the week.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Sounds like sending it in is a good get for you. I have heard of people taking the OM parts out first to be sure Ruger does not "lose" them. I sent a OM in for refinishing. They did a good job fairly cheaply. I reconverted when I got it back. But in your case you can sell the parts and the gun, either the OM refinished and converted, or the NM if they replace it. I do not see a downside. The only downside for me is that I realized I actually liked the beat-up, rusty gun better before it was refinished than after. I wish I had just had the cylinder done locally and replaced the ejector housing and grip frame. I was new to Ruger at that time. Maybe try a "as is" add on the board here for a short time first. If it is an interesting configuration it might well sell as is.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
"While not an attorney, I have spent enough time in a courtroom as a case officer to know that by the time one enlists the services of an attorney, (s)he has already been out witted by one guy or gal, and are about to be fleeced for cash that should and would have remained in pocket had (s)he used the good sense (s)he was given at birth, with the end result being that no one but the attorney(s) win.

In short, any time one has to hire an attorney, (s)he can chalk the situation up as a loss, regardless of how the legal system rules."

Why would one have the need of an attorney to report a stolen firearm? Send it in for repairs, if Ruger refuses to send back, report it stolen with instructions as to it's probable location.

I don't think for one minute Ruger would retain someones personal property that was asking for it back, lawyer or not. Ruger has way to much to lose.

Absolutey, as we too had sent in guns over the years for others as well as ourselves, and the last two being a Mini-14 180 series ( 200th year gun) and a Security Six stainless 357, NO parts, the factory (Ruger) could not and would NOT work on them, they suggested 'sending them "cash" for a replacement, told them NO< and they returned them,,,makes sense as they cannot do the work properly if there are NO parts nor they even "support" the work, repairs, so easier ,simpler to 'replace' with a "like" model.......makes perfect sense and reasoning .....bottom line there are many shops ,gunsmiths out here who can, and will , some even like the challenge of making something 'whole' again, we used to wok with some gunsmiths who could make ANY part , for ANY gun, from scratch, and make them work again,,as well as many of us could and would "restore" about any gun back to its original shape and condition, and YES , some get paid the BIG BUCKS for doing so, and some even do the work good enough to be still "collectible" as being "restored" ( not a basic "reblue", if it looks reblued, then by all means , it was 'reblued") big difference when the average person cannot tell it was ever "redone" that is a Poprper 'restoration" and YES, for any REAL evaluation, it is still "redone", no matter 'how good', and I for one will not lie for anyone as to its "originality",but am proud of the work we have done all these years..... 8)
back to the OP< it's YOUR gun, give them a call, send it in, and find out for yourself, no need for ANY
forum " litigation " ( free legal advice)!!! :shock:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
F9F505AE-C0C4-467B-BEE2-1DCFC413DD31_zpsfdmpg5li.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
BlkHawk73,

If it were my gun, I'd pull out the internal action parts and send it in for the safety retrofit and refinish.
The alloy ejector housing and grip frame won't be anodized as originally, but will have Ruger's powder coating process like the new models, which actually matches the blued steel parts better.

This one cost me $130 as I recall:
large.jpg

mcb66

Bearcat
I just sent one in a month or so ago. It was an Old Model .45. 60% finish and the action was fairly gritty. They paid for shipping due to the conversion. I asked for them to quote a refinish. I never heard back, but they sent it back with the conversion and my original parts. It is now the slickest action of any of my Rugers. Go figure.....