Ok... I need to rant... is that ok?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NorEaster

Blackhawk
I need to blow off some steam here and my intent is not to malign anyone; but to express the amount of frustration that I have right now in regards to projects that my reading of posts on this forum has led me to.
I have been an avid reader since I have joined and have enjoyed gathering what information that I could from all.
Last year I had the luck to have been able to route some hard earnings, not to bills; but to things that made me happy. Ok.. guns.
Having grown up enjoying them and reading the gun magazines, I have lusted after those "cover girls" those guns that just looking at them gave you a "gun-gasm"
My 1st project was my ROAs. I had some and lost them and searched and was able to replace them. Then I wanted them to be a little bit more. So I wanted them color case finished. I searched the threads here and picked one that I will refer to as one of the "FORUM GODS". Yup... he's one of the guys that a lot of you have had work done with and have praised to the high heavens.
Well... let me tell ya... please don't praise these guys too high... they are only human and they leave some of us pretty disappointed. This one did me. He was asked to take my ROAs and color case them, clear coat the case hardened finish, tune them and take the blued parts and drop them in the tank to even out the blue.
He propose about 3 months to do it and he did do the color case finish in that time. Everything else he was supposed to do, he did not; but he charged me for it. Yes, I have the itemized receipt. Not only that but he embedded a chunk of aluminum from his barrel vise in the barrel of one of my ROAs. I ended up fixing that myself.

NorEaster

Blackhawk
2nd project was to get some grips for my Speed Six. I placed that order in June of last year and just got them today (1-10-2013). Through all of that I had contacted the maker numerous times only to be told, when he would reply on rare occasion, that my grips were in the works. Another forum god, how many raved of his craftsmenship. Let me tell you... my grips are a major disappointment. $165 and a long wait for grips that were ultimately made for a Service Six, because the guy didn't bother to look at his emails for model confirmation. They are too thick and not at all what was expected due to the forum ravings. A plus for him, he has offered to refund my money.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Don't despair, we've all been there a time or two. Even the best can screw up.

In Real Estate it's location, location, location. In custom work it's communication, communication, communication.

Joe S.

Hunter
Sometimes its like that. I like that you recognize they are human, and humans do make mistakes. I have sent people to numerous places i was happy with to have them be disappointed in the products or service they recieved. Hate it, especially when its a costly experience, but thats the nature of the beast.

Major T

Blackhawk
I think they are telling you "tough s..t."

Personally, I would give each an opportunity to correct the discrepancies. If they negaoatiate an acceptable solution, great! If not, name names and show your evidence. It is not likely the first time and others have ignored shoddy work because of the perceived esteem the guys are held to here.

Some of these folks ARE really helpful. I once called Hamilton Bowen to see if he had a take off part that I needed. Instead of just saying that he was too busy to mess with me, he took my number and returned my call after he had time to search. Others take your money and forget you. Good luck, jack

DGW1949

Hunter
My ole' Grandpaw used to say that the only man who don't make mistakes is the one who aint doing anything.

If your grip-guy offered a refund, that's a perty-good indication of his character, eh?

DGW

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
I have been disappointed with a couple of them too. Live and learn. I agree you should give them an opportunity to make it right, but don't let them off the hook if you're not 100%. In the end their "credibilty" may win over more people but eventually they won't have any "credibility" left if you share your experience in a way that the moderators don't find necessary to delete. There are still plenty of Ruger collectors and enthusiasts that aren't too quick to take sides.

NorEaster

Blackhawk
I feel we as a populace have lowered our expectations for... well... just about everything.
There is always a lot of "Well, that's just the way it is"... "yup sometimes you have to spend about $500 for something and tear it down and rebuild it right again"
I don't agree with that thinking.

The only thing I will say if in your mind if you are unhappy with the work have a second look! If you are still unhappy contact the guy and ask he fix it if it is possible! If you get no satisfaction expose him for the hack he is JMO Pics will make your case! ps