1985 41 Bisley. Did I do ok, good or great?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

71shooter

Single-Sixer
First off, I'm primarily a 45 Colt guy, so I bought this for either an investment or a five shot project gun. If it turns out it's too nice for a project gun, I'll send it down the road at some point. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks bunches!

Hughree

Bearcat
I think you did well. The early, fluted .41 Bisleys are desirable and sell quickly.

I have that same model with a serial number approximately 200 lower than yours. I am waiting on a letter from Ruger before posting it for sale. Mine is unfired, with the original box, papers and outer sleeve in perfect condition. I think your price is right in the ballpark for an early, fluted Bisley.

I will add that the fit and finish is better than I have experienced in later New Models and, reportedly, the accuracy of the early .41 Bisleys is notable. Please share your thoughts after you have spent some time with yours.

contender

Ruger Guru
I would recommend a good solid test run prior to any modifications. Often, a really good shooter can be lost due to doing something before a test run.

I agree,, a .41 is too good to convert.

71shooter

Single-Sixer
Thanks to all for your comments. As I mentioned before, I'm not a 41 guy. I have no brass, dies, or bullets, and have no interest. I'll take all of your comments into consideration. Thanks

71shooter

Single-Sixer
I think I'm just gonna sit on it for a while and ruminate. I have plenty of stuff to play with for the time being. Thanks fellas.

Onty

Single-Sixer
Bisley 41 Magnum fluted, it doesn't get better than that:

Bisley 41 Magnum fluted.JPG

Yeah, I have to admit that I am jealous...

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
Plenty of .41 fans would buy that as is

I don't handload for .41 Magnum or really much of anything and I have a stainless .41 Bisley 5.5"

I just suck it up and buy a box or two of ammo when I feel like shooting it. It's always an "add on" gun to a range trip with 9mm , .45 ACP or cap and ballers , etc because I can't afford to pop off 200+ rounds of factory .41 Magnum . These guns are like a "treat" for yourself, they spend most of their time hanging out in the gun safe, and you get the itch to shoot them like 3 times a year and put a box through them at the range.

If someone is a dedicated hand loader and .41 fanatic then it's a different story

woodperson

Single-Sixer
My .41 does not just hang out in the safe. I do reload everything I shoot so I shoot the .41 as much as my I shoot my other 2 guns that go to the range. Though rarely with full loads of jacketed bullets. Lipstick loads mostly.

I think the OP did great whatever he paid for the gun.

Last edited:

moparclan

Single-Sixer
My .41 collection consists of Ruger Redhawk's, Desert Eagle, Blackhawks, (three screws, new models, a New model flattop), and a Marlin CCL Cowboy, limited to 1000! Great caliber for me. My dad got me started. Have hundreds of his cast bullets and wadcutters hanging around, ready to load. Need to find a Bisley I guess.